Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting ksh compare dates INSIDE a file (ie date A is > date B) Post 302561859 by right_coaster on Wednesday 5th of October 2011 11:47:21 AM
Old 10-05-2011
Wow, maybe I need to turn on my brain... it's always the obvious that eludes me! Thank you.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

compare today's date with date in a file

Hi I am very new to scripting, Can someone show me how to (in unix shell script) compare the system's date with a date in a file. The requirement is to somehow open this file (which will only have a date in it) and compare it with today's date. If they are equal execute a procedure below but if... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: siog
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare dates in a field and print the latest date row

Hi, I need a shell script which should find the latest date in the field of file and print that line only. For eg., I have a file /date.log Name Date Status IBM 06/06/07 close DELL 07/27/07 open DELL 06/07/07 open : : : From... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cvkishore
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

change date format and then compare dates

I have filenames filenameA_fg_MMDDYY.tar.gz filenameASPQ_fg_MMDDYY.tar.gz filenameAFTOPHYYINGH_fg_MMDDYY.tar.gz filenameAGHYSW_fg_MMDDYY.tar.gz My requiremnt needs to extract date which is in MMDDYYand change it into YYYYMMDD format. I have done the following: filedate=`echo... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: RubinPat
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Generate quarter dates with begin date and end date

Hi All, I am trying to generate quarter dates with user giving input as begin date and end date. Example: Input by user: begin_date = "2009-01-01" end_date = 2010-04-30" required output: 2009-01-01 2009-03-31 09Q01 2009-04-01 2009-06-30 09Q02 . . till 2010-01-01 2010-03-31 10Q01 ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: sol_nov
9 Replies

5. UNIX and Linux Applications

sqlite: calculating with dates - compare current date minus 6 months with stored record

Hi I have a table with name, date in format DD.MM.YYYY. I need to something like this (I try to explain in pseudo code) if SYSDATE (current date) minus 6 months > $expiry date print OK else print NOK with $name and $expiry date I know this is possible with Oracle. How to do this... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: slashdotweenie
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to capture all dates between start date and End date.

Hi All, I enter Start date and end date as parameters. I need to capture dates between start date and end date. Please let me know if you have any idea the same. Thanks in advance. Nagaraja Akkivalli. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nagaraja Akkiva
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

compare date and time inside data of two files

i have two files with identical no of columns. 6th columns is date (MM/DD/YY format) and 7th columns is time (HH:MM:SS) format. I need to compare these two vaules and if the date & time is higher than fileA, save it on fileC; if the value is lower, then save it on fileD CONDITIONS... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajiwww
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to capture dates between start date and end date Using perl.

Hi All, Want to get all dates and Julian week number for that date between the start date and end date. How can I achive this using perl? (To achive above functionality, I was connecting to the database from DB server. Need to execute the same script in application server, since databse... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nagaraja Akkiva
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching for unknown date inside the file and replace to new date

Hello, Iam a newbies to Shell scripting. Iam trying to replace the date inside the file to new date. is there anyway that we can just use the pattern to search as "..." I have many files want to replace with the same date, and each file contains different date. Thanks for your help. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Daro
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare the system date with date from a text file

I get the date that's inside a text file and assigned it to a variable. When I grep the date from the file, I get this, Not After : Jul 28 14:09:57 2017 GMT So I only crop out the date, with this command echo $dateFile | cut -d ':' -f 2,4The result would be Jul 28 14:57 2017 GMT How do I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Loc
3 Replies
THINK(1)						      General Commands Manual							  THINK(1)

NAME
think - you don't have to think, the computer can think for you SYNOPSIS
think [ -detach ] DESCRIPTION
Think simulates a thinking brain. This can be useful if someone is not wanting to think at invocation time or if someone is needing some thinking about something. It can also be helpful if someone's brain is not working correctly at invocation time. When invoked, think will go ahead and look at all of the commands and keystrokes that a user has made during the current login session. Think will then look at what files the user has. From this and what level the user is listed at in the file /usr/lib/think, think will figure out what the user was trying to do when think was invoked. DEVICES
The process that think uses to help a user is greatly aided if the user is wearing a brain interface bus (bib) device. A bib device is normally worn on the head, and if being used, then think will try to see what was going through the users head at the time of invocation. After think does this, it will send electric signals to the users brain, causing the user to type in whatever keystrokes are necessary to accomplish the task that he/she doesn't want to think about. OPTIONS
-detach also known as "Must mother do all of your thinking for you?"-mode. This options causes think to run in the background as a daemon that watches for users who look like they may need assistance. When a user is found to be exercising cluelessness, think will lock up their keyboard and will proceed to execute what seems to be the most likely sequence of commands that the user had intended to execute. This flag may only be used by the super-user. FILES
/dev/brain bib device special file. /usr/lib/think file to indicate various user abilities. The format of this file is a username on each line followed by some whitspace and then a number. The higher the number for a given user, the more likely think is to assume that that user knows what he/she is doing. Unfortunately, what think considers a large number will vary with usage. BUGS
If a user is using a bib device and actually lacks a brain of their own, then there is a high risk that think will take over their (non- existent) minds. This has the upshot that someone other than the user will have to stop the program. (Perhaps this is a feature.) It may illegal in some areas to force users to wear bib devices. AUTHOR
This man page was written by John Guthrie <guthrie@math.upenn.edu> with suggestions from Kevin Whyte <kwhyte@math.upenn.edu> for the alt.sysadmin.recovery man page collection. think version 1.0 April 5, 1996 THINK(1)