Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Does formatting slice 2 (backup) destroy disk geometry? Post 302561748 by mia-chan on Wednesday 5th of October 2011 06:09:23 AM
Old 10-05-2011
Thank you for the response, fpmurphy. Based on your response, I am assuming that the way to use this disk in the future is to start fresh by formatting and rebuilding partitions?

I really appreciate your response; do you by any chance know where I can find some documentation that supports your assertion that the disk is usable? I would like to bring this information to my trainer. Have you ever heard of anyone else making a claim such as his? I really want to track down some more info on this case but haven't had much luck on my own.

If anyone has any resources describing disk architecture (and its non-volatile nature) I would find them most helpful; I can only seem to find elementary drawings and explanations of the physical disk parts while, based on the training I have received, there is supposedly some sort of software or firmware which allows the system to communicate with the disk and which is able to be deleted inadvertently by inexperienced admins.

Thanks again!

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

mirroring the boot slice (slice 8) on x86

Hi there I am about to mirror a Solaris 10 x86 box (SunFire X4100) onto a secondary disk using svm (current system is one disk). My question is this, on X86 boxes there is a slice 8 defined as boot partition (and also a slice 9, dunno what its used for tho). Do I need to mirror this boot slice... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Mirroring Disk Geometry

How can one mirror disk geometry from one hard disk to another in Solaris. Is disk snapshot same as a mirror? Pls explain. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lexusujx
3 Replies

3. Solaris

Puzzled over over the relationship between the partition and geometry of hard disk.

Not sure why solaris couldn't detect the geometry of a hard disk which has a working OS of winxp pro. Is it due to the different OS that the partition information is stored in different location? When I type '"format" it is shown as below, c3d1 < drive type unknown>... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: just.srad
5 Replies

4. Solaris

Ways to analyse root disk slice

Hi, Recently I faced with need of analyze root disk. I figured out two possible ways to do it: 1. Practical. Boot from CD and run format 2. Theoretical. Create live upgrade boot environment on another disk, activate it, reboot, unmont all root disk partitions and run format. I've already... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sapfeer
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Looking for help with script to assign all disk space to slice#0 on multiple disks of varying sizes

Hi Folks, I am trying to make a script to assign all diskspace to slice 0, on multiple sized disks. Since the disks are new they may need to be labelled also to avoid the error: Cannot get disk geometry Below is my code struggling with logic which doesn't seem to be producing the desired... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: momin
0 Replies

6. Solaris

label a slice on disk erorr

Hi there, I am trying to do root volume mirroring on SunFire V210 server. I have two disks in it.First one is c1t0do and second one is c1t1do. Both disks already have partitions in them so I am deleting the partitions of second disk(c1t1do) using format command and selecting cylinder start 0... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbi8321
2 Replies

7. Solaris

ZFS - whole disk Vs slice

we have a ZFS file system that was created as a pool of just one disk (raid on a SAN) when this was created it was done as a whole disk, and so EFI label. now we want to mount this file system into an LDOM. my understanding of how ldom's and disk works this is that we can only do this as a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: robsonde
1 Replies

8. Solaris

Trouble creating a disk partition slice (EFI)

Hi all, I am using SPARC Solaris 11.1 with EFI labelled disks. I am new to ZFS file systems and slightly stuck when trying to create a partition (slice) on one of my LUNs. EFI labels use sectors and blocks and I am not sure how exactly it works. From here I can try and create a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: selectstar
2 Replies

9. Solaris

ZFS Slice disk

Hi, How to to make a slice and define as ufs from zpool? Please advice me. Thanks. ---------- Post updated at 01:53 AM ---------- Previous update was at 12:24 AM ---------- Before slice: Part Tag Flag Cylinders Size Blocks 0 root wm 0 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mzainal
2 Replies
SCAN_FFS(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 					       SCAN_FFS(8)

NAME
scan_ffs, scan_lfs -- find FFSv1/FFSv2/LFS partitions on a disk or file SYNOPSIS
scan_ffs [-blv] [-e end] [-F file] [-s start] device DESCRIPTION
scan_ffs will take a raw disk device that covers the whole disk or a file and will find all possible FFSv[12]/LFS partitions, independent of block sizes on it. It will show the file system type (FFSv1, FFSv2, or LFS), size, and offset. Also it has an option to show the values with a disklabel-alike output. The options are as follows: -b Report every superblock found with its sector address, rather than trying to report the partition boundaries. This option can be useful to find the other superblocks in a partition if the first superblock has become corrupted. It is most useful if device refers to the raw device for the partition, rather than the entire disk. -e end Where to stop searching for file systems. The end argument specifies the last sector that will be searched. Default is the last sector of device. -F file Path to a file containing possible partitions inside of it. -l Print out a string looking much like the input to disklabel. With a little massaging, this output can usually be used by disklabel(8). -s start Where to start searching for file systems. This makes it easier to skip swap partitions or other large non-UFS/FFS partitions. The start argument specifies the first sector that will be searched. Default is the first sector of device. -v Be verbose about what scan_ffs is doing, and what has been found. The device argument specifies which device scan_ffs should scan for file systems. scan_lfs is just another name for the same program, both behave in exactly the same way. SEE ALSO
disklabel(8) HISTORY
The scan_ffs program first appeared in OpenBSD 2.3 and then in NetBSD 3.1. Support for searching in files was added in NetBSD 4.0. AUTHORS
scan_ffs was written for OpenBSD by Niklas Hallqvist and Tobias Weingartner. It was ported to NetBSD by Juan Romero Pardines, who added sup- port for LFS/FFSv2, partitions with fragsize/blocksize greater than 2048/16384 for FFSv1, searching on files, etc. BUGS
Currently scan_ffs won't find partitions with fragsize/blocksize greater than 8192/65536. BSD
May 1, 2007 BSD