Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Need help optimizing this piece of code (Shell script Busybox) Post 302561639 by snappy46 on Tuesday 4th of October 2011 11:27:30 PM
Old 10-05-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corona688
What sort of disk are you writing to?

Shell builtins are hundreds of times faster than calling an external utility to operate on tiny amounts of data.

I think I've reduced the number of if/else's by using a case, too.

Also, you were reopening $RSS dozens of times, which probably didn't help.
That is awesome I did not expect anyone to do all the dirty work for me. Hopefully this script will work fine on the old default busybox available on the media player.

I forgot to mentioned on my previous post that the whole indexing process All movies + all genres (200 movies) takes about 3to4 minutes. Hopefully your way of doing things will cut that down some.

The jukebox.xml file created by the loop is normally stored/written to the media player (internal drive) or externally connected USB drive; it all depends where the movies are located. The jukebox.xml is store in the genre root directory or the movie directory for the All movies.

I can wait to try this out. I will post the results once I did.

Again thank you. Smilie

---------- Post updated at 11:27 PM ---------- Previous update was at 04:55 PM ----------

Hi Corona,

Here's your script with some minor changes to make it work for me.

Code:
#MOVIESPATH="./moviedir/"
#SORTEDTMP="./movie"
#OLDIFS="$IFS"
#RSS="rssfile"

# I just do this to have any info at all...
#find ./moviedir -iname '*.avi' > "$SORTEDTMP"

grep "$MOVIESPATH" "$SORTEDTMP" | while read LINE
do
        MOVIEPATH="${LINE%/*}"  # Shell builtins instead of dirname
        MOVIEFILE="${LINE##*/}" # Shell builtins instead of basename
        MOVIENAME="${MOVIEFILE%.*}"  # Strip off .ext       

if ! [ "$MOVIEPATH/$MOVIEFILE" = "$LINE" ]
        then
                echo "Error processing line" >&2
                continue
        fi

# Initialize defaults, replace later

MOVIETITLE="$MOVIENAME"
        MOVIESHEET=/usr/local/etc/srjg/NoMovieinfo.bmp
        MOVIEPOSTER=/usr/local/etc/srjg/nofolder.bmp

if [ -e "$MOVIEPATH/MovieInfo.nfo" ];
  then
     MOVIEINFO="$MOVIEPATH/MovieInfo.nfo"
     MOVIETITLE=`grep "<title>.*<.title>" "$MOVIEINFO" | sed -e "s/^.*<title/<title/" | cut -f2 -d">"| cut -f1 -d"<"`
  fi

#        if [ -e "$MOVIEPATH/MovieInfo.nfo" ]
#        then
                # Look for lines matching <title>
#                while read LINE
#                do
                        # Strip out <title> to make it shorter.
#                        SHORT="${LINE/<title>}"
                        # If it's not shorter, it didn't have <title>
#                        [ "${#SHORT}" = "${#LINE}" ] && continue

#                        LINE="${LINE//<title>}"  # Strip out <title>
#                        LINE="${LINE//<?title>}" # Strip out </title>

#                        MOVIETITLE="$LINE"
#                        break   # Found <title>, quit looking
#                done <"$MOVIEPATH/MovieInfo.nfo"
#        fi

# Check for any files of known purpose inside the movie's folder.
        for FILE in "$MOVIEPATH"/*
        do
                [ -e "$FILE" ] || break # No files exist?

case "${FILE##*/}" in
                "folder.jpg")           MOVIEPOSTER="$FILE"     ;;
                "${MOVIENAME}.jpg")     MOVIEPOSTER="$FILE"     ;;
                "about.jpg")            MOVIESHEET="$FILE"      ;;
                "0001.jpg")             MOVIESHEET="$FILE"      ;;
                "${MOVIENAME}_sheet.jpg")       MOVIESHEET="$FILE" ;;
                *)      ;;
                esac
        done

# Print it all in one whack with a here-document.
        cat <<EOF
<Movie>
<title>$MOVIETITLE</title>
<poster>$MOVIEPOSTER</poster>
<info>$MOVIESHEET</info>
<file>$MOVIEPATH/$MOVIEFILE</file>
</Movie>

EOF
        # Note:  OVERWRITES $RSS
done >> $RSS

I could not get the function to extract the title from the MovieInfo.nfo file to work so I just inserted the one I already had in my script just to test the difference between the two script. The results were very surprising to me to say the least.

The original script as provided in my first post took 1 minutes and 49 second to process my 200 movies. The new source code you provided took 2 minutes and 46 seconds almost a whole minute longer ???? I could not believe the results so I tried it again with the same results. It would appear that using sed/cut/grep etc to get the work done is faster than using the built-in substitution command ????? I was quite shock, something in there seem to take a lot of time to accomplish.

I still think that I can use some of your code process to cut down further the process time ... well maybe. I would think that creating the file only once would be faster than appending the file for every movie element. I will try to introduce some of those step you have one at a time and see what makes thing go faster and what make things go slower.

I learned a lot from your inputs/code so again thank you.

Snappy46

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

a piece of code, plz help to review

use "getopts" to get params from command. Need replace black with a specified string like "%20 DEFAULT_DELIM=%20 ... while getopts dek:f:t:vh OPTION do case $OPTION in t) DELIM=`tvar=/'"$OPTARG"'/ svar="$DEFAULT_DELIM" awk 'BEGIN{T=ENVIRON;S=ENVIRON; while(index(T,S)!=0){S=S"0"};print... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: anypager
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

what does this piece of code do?

Hi All, I am trying to understand and change some code written by some programmer a while ago. There are following three lines of code that I am unable to grasp. Could anybody please help me understand it? 1) cd - > /dev/null 2) fname=`basename "$1"` where $1 = /dirA/dirB/a.txt ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vikas Sood
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

script or piece of code where the data returned by a stored procedure you are writing

hi fndz. Can you please help me with the code if I call a stored procedure from my shell script and stored procedure returns a cursor, cursor output should be saved to a file (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: enigma_83
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Enabling sh shell in BusyBox

Hi, Does anybody know how to enable the shell sh while creating Ramdisk fs using BusyBox? while creating a configuration using the GUI, I see options only for the ash shell. Is there some option in the config file that gets created with which I can enable the sh shell also apart from the ash... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jake24
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Looking for guidance (comments) on a piece of code

Hello -- I am trying to learn to do a little sed and awk scripting to search for text and numbers in text files (text processing/manipulation). My professor gave me a piece of uncommented code and I am very unfamiliar w/ the language. Can someone help me with comments so I can understand what is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: smithan05
2 Replies

6. Programming

what is the name of this piece of code

while ((numRead = read(inputFd, buf, BUF_SIZE)) > 0) if (write(outputFd, buf, numRead) != numRead) fatal("couldn't write whole buffer"); if (numRead == -1) errExit("read"); if (close(inputFd) == -1) errExit("close input"); if (close(outputFd) == -1) errExit("close output"); ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fwrlfo
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Optimizing the code

Hi, I have two files in the format listed below. I need to find out all values from field 12 to field 20 present in file 2 and list them in file3(format as file2) File1 : FEIN,CHRISTA... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nua7
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash Script to Ash (busybox) - Beginner

Hi All, I have a script that I wrote on a bash shell, I use it to sort files from a directory into various other directories. I have an variable set, which is an array of strings, I then check each file against the array and if it is in there the script sorts it into the correct folder. But... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sgtbobie
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need a piece of shell scripting to remove column from a csv file

Hi, I need to remove first column from a csv file and i can do this by using below command. cut -f1 -d, --complement Mytest.csv I need to implement this in shell scripting, Whenever i am using the above command alone in command line it is working fine. I have 5 files in my directory and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Samah
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Optimizing the Shell Script [Expert Advise Needed]

I have prepared a shell script to find the duplicates based on the part of filename and retain latest. #!/bin/bash if ; then mkdir -p dup fi NOW=$(date +"%F-%H:%M:%S") LOGFILE="purge_duplicate_log-$NOW.log" LOGTIME=`date "+%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S"` echo... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gold2k8
6 Replies