Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Need help optimizing this piece of code (Shell script Busybox) Post 302561591 by snappy46 on Tuesday 4th of October 2011 01:48:09 PM
Old 10-04-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corona688
If none of the input is XML, then what is
Code:
MOVIETITLE=`grep "<title>.*<.title>" "$MOVIEINFO" | sed -e "s/^.*<title/<title/" | cut -f2 -d">"| cut -f1 -d"<"`

for?
Ah!!! You got me there; this XML file contain description for the movies ex: tiltle, synopsis, rating etc.... The only information I am looking for in that XML if it is available is the movie title I do not care about the rest of the information. In a lot of cases that XML file does not even exist and the movie title is derived from the basename filename with the .avi, .mpg etc.... removed

see this line: MovieName=`basename "$plik" | sed 's/\(.*\)\..*/\1/'`

Well at least here's one thing for improvement I could just do this:

Code:

if [ -e "$DirectoryPath/MovieInfo.nfo" ];
  then
     MOVIEINFO="$DirectoryPath/MovieInfo.nfo"
     MOVIETITLE=`grep "<title>.*<.title>" "$MOVIEINFO" | sed -e "s/^.*<title/<title/" | cut -f2 -d">"| cut -f1 -d"<"`
  else
     MOVIETITLE=`basename "$plik" | sed 's/\(.*\)\..*/\1/'`

Instead of assigning "Moviename" when not even required.

Just saved a "basename" and "sed" call if MovieInfo.nfo file do exist.

Cheers !!!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

a piece of code, plz help to review

use "getopts" to get params from command. Need replace black with a specified string like "%20 DEFAULT_DELIM=%20 ... while getopts dek:f:t:vh OPTION do case $OPTION in t) DELIM=`tvar=/'"$OPTARG"'/ svar="$DEFAULT_DELIM" awk 'BEGIN{T=ENVIRON;S=ENVIRON; while(index(T,S)!=0){S=S"0"};print... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: anypager
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

what does this piece of code do?

Hi All, I am trying to understand and change some code written by some programmer a while ago. There are following three lines of code that I am unable to grasp. Could anybody please help me understand it? 1) cd - > /dev/null 2) fname=`basename "$1"` where $1 = /dirA/dirB/a.txt ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vikas Sood
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

script or piece of code where the data returned by a stored procedure you are writing

hi fndz. Can you please help me with the code if I call a stored procedure from my shell script and stored procedure returns a cursor, cursor output should be saved to a file (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: enigma_83
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Enabling sh shell in BusyBox

Hi, Does anybody know how to enable the shell sh while creating Ramdisk fs using BusyBox? while creating a configuration using the GUI, I see options only for the ash shell. Is there some option in the config file that gets created with which I can enable the sh shell also apart from the ash... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jake24
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Looking for guidance (comments) on a piece of code

Hello -- I am trying to learn to do a little sed and awk scripting to search for text and numbers in text files (text processing/manipulation). My professor gave me a piece of uncommented code and I am very unfamiliar w/ the language. Can someone help me with comments so I can understand what is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: smithan05
2 Replies

6. Programming

what is the name of this piece of code

while ((numRead = read(inputFd, buf, BUF_SIZE)) > 0) if (write(outputFd, buf, numRead) != numRead) fatal("couldn't write whole buffer"); if (numRead == -1) errExit("read"); if (close(inputFd) == -1) errExit("close input"); if (close(outputFd) == -1) errExit("close output"); ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fwrlfo
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Optimizing the code

Hi, I have two files in the format listed below. I need to find out all values from field 12 to field 20 present in file 2 and list them in file3(format as file2) File1 : FEIN,CHRISTA... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nua7
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash Script to Ash (busybox) - Beginner

Hi All, I have a script that I wrote on a bash shell, I use it to sort files from a directory into various other directories. I have an variable set, which is an array of strings, I then check each file against the array and if it is in there the script sorts it into the correct folder. But... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sgtbobie
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need a piece of shell scripting to remove column from a csv file

Hi, I need to remove first column from a csv file and i can do this by using below command. cut -f1 -d, --complement Mytest.csv I need to implement this in shell scripting, Whenever i am using the above command alone in command line it is working fine. I have 5 files in my directory and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Samah
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Optimizing the Shell Script [Expert Advise Needed]

I have prepared a shell script to find the duplicates based on the part of filename and retain latest. #!/bin/bash if ; then mkdir -p dup fi NOW=$(date +"%F-%H:%M:%S") LOGFILE="purge_duplicate_log-$NOW.log" LOGTIME=`date "+%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S"` echo... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gold2k8
6 Replies
XMLSTARLET(1)                                                    xmlstarlet Manual                                                   XMLSTARLET(1)

NAME
xmlstarlet - command line XML/XSLT toolkit SYNOPSIS
xmlstarlet [<options>] [<command>] [<cmd-options>] INTRODUCTION
XMLStarlet is a set of command line utilities (tools) which can be used to transform, query, validate, and edit XML documents and files us- ing simple set of shell commands in similar way it is done for plain text files using UNIX grep, sed, awk, diff, patch, join, etc commands. This set of command line utilities can be used by those who deal with many XML documents on UNIX shell command prompt as well as for auto- mated XML processing with shell scripts. OPTIONS
--version Display the version of xmlstarlet. --help Display help. COMMANDS
Type: xmlstarlet <command> --help <ENTER> for command help Available commands include: ed (or edit) Edit/update XML document(s). sel (or select) Select data or query XML document(s) (XPATH, etc). tr (or transform) Transform XML documents(s) using XSLT. val (or validate) Validate XML document(s) (well-formed/DTD/XSD/RelaxNG). fo (or format) Format XML document(s). el (or elements) Display element structure of XML document. c14n (or canonic) XML canonicalization. ls (or list) List directory as XML. esc (or escape) Escape special XML characters. unesc (or unescape) Unescape special XML characters. pyx (or xmln) Convert XML into PYX format (based on ESIS - ISO 8879). p2x (or depyx) Convert PYX into XML. REFERENCES
XMLStarlet is a command line toolkit to query/edit/check/transform XML documents (for more information see http://xmlstar.source- forge.net/). AUTHOR
Mikhail Grushinskiy. XMLSTARLET(1)