Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Need an awk / sed / or perl one-liner to remove last 4 characters with non-unique pattern. Post 302561541 by vgersh99 on Tuesday 4th of October 2011 11:36:25 AM
Old 10-04-2011
Code:
sed 's/[.][0-9]*$//' myFile

This User Gave Thanks to vgersh99 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove spaces using awk,sed,perl?

Input: 3456 565 656 878 235 8 4 8787 3 7 35 878 Expected output: 3456 565 656 878 235 8 4 8787 3 7 35 878 How can i do this with awk,sed and perl? (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: cola
10 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting characters with sed,perl,awk

Input: :: gstreamer :: xine-lib :: xine-lib-extras Output should be: gstreamer xine-lib xine-lib-extras How can it be done with sed or perl? (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: cola
12 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search & Replace regex Perl one liner to AWK one liner

Thanks for giving your time and effort to answer questions and helping newbies like me understand awk. I have a huge file, millions of lines, so perl takes quite a bit of time, I'd like to convert these perl one liners to awk. Basically I'd like all lines with ISA sandwiched between... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: verge
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed or awk : pattern selection based on special characters

Hello All, I am here again scratching my head on pattern selection with special characters. I have a large file having around 200 entries and i have to select a single line based on a pattern. I am able to do that: Code: cat mytest.txt | awk -F: '/myregex/ { print $2}' ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: usha rao
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

One liner pattern search with awk/sed/grep

I have an array containing bunch of characters. I have to check this array for specific character and if "Not Found than" use a goto statement to go to USAGE set options = (A B C D E F) @ i = 0 while ($i <= ${#options}) if ($options != "F" || $options != "D") then goto USAGE endif @... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dixits
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl: Pattern to remove words with less than 2 characters.

Hello. I've been thinking about how to go about this. I know I'm close but still does not work. I need to remove any word in that is not at least 2 characters long. I've removed all the non-alphabetic characters already (numbers included). Here's an example: my $string = "This string is a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: D2K
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk-sed help : to remove first and last line with pattern match:

awk , sed Experts, I want to remove first and last line after pattern match "vg" : I am trying : # sed '1d;$d' works fine , but where the last line is not having vg entry it is deleting one line of data. - So it should check for the pattern vg if present , then it should delete the line ,... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rveri
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching and printing the only pattern using awk,sed or perl

Hi All, i have an output of command vmstat as below : $ vmstat System configuration: lcpu=4 mem=5376MB ent=1.00 kthr memory page faults cpu ----- ----------- ------------------------ ------------ ----------------------- r b avm fre re pi... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: omkar.jadhav
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Precede and Append characters using sed/awk based on a pattern

I have an input file which is similar to what I have shown below. Pattern : Data followed by two blank lines followed by data again followed by two blank lines followed by data again etc.. The first three lines after every blank line combination(2 blank lines between data) should be... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bikerboy
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

awk with sed to combine lines and remove specific odd # pattern from line

In the awk piped to sed below I am trying to format file by removing the odd xxxx_digits and whitespace after, then move the even xxxx_digit to the line above it and add a space between them. There may be multiple lines in file but they are in the same format. The Filename_ID line is the last line... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
4 Replies
SHTOOL-SUBST.TMP(1)					      GNU Portable Shell Tool					       SHTOOL-SUBST.TMP(1)

NAME
shtool-subst - GNU shtool sed(1) substitution operations SYNOPSIS
shtool subst [-v|--verbose] [-t|--trace] [-n|--nop] [-w|--warning] [-q|--quiet] [-s|--stealth] [-i|--interactive] [-b|--backup ext] [-e|--exec cmd] [-f|--file cmd-file] [file] [file ...] DESCRIPTION
This command applies one or more sed(1) substitution operations to stdin or any number of files. OPTIONS
The following command line options are available. -v, --verbose Display some processing information. -t, --trace Enable the output of the essential shell commands which are executed. -n, --nop No operation mode. Actual execution of the essential shell commands which would be executed is suppressed. -w, --warning Show warning on substitution operation resulting in no content change on every file. The default is to show a warning on substitution operations resulted in no content change on all files. -q, --quiet Suppress warning on substitution operation resulting in no content change. -s, --stealth Stealth operation. Preserve timestamp on file. -i, --interactive Enter interactive mode where the user has to approve each operation. -b, --backup ext Preserve backup of original file using file name extension ext. Default is to overwrite the original file. -e, --exec cmd Specify sed(1) command directly. -f, --file cmd-file Read sed(1) command from file. EXAMPLE
# shell script shtool subst -i -e 's;(c) ([0-9]*)-2000;(c) 1-2001;' *.[ch] # RPM spec-file %install shtool subst -v -n -e 's;^(prefix=).*;1 $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_prefix};g' -e 's;^(sysconfdir=).*;1 $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_prefix}/etc;g' `find . -name Makefile -print` make install HISTORY
The GNU shtool subst command was originally written by Ralf S. Engelschall <rse@engelschall.com> in 2001 for GNU shtool. It was prompted by the need to have a uniform and convenient patching frontend to sed(1) operations in the OpenPKG package specifications. SEE ALSO
shtool(1), sed(1). 18-Jul-2008 shtool 2.0.8 SHTOOL-SUBST.TMP(1)