Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Folder level size monitoring
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Folder level size monitoring Post 302561484 by rbatte1 on Tuesday 4th of October 2011 09:28:07 AM
Old 10-04-2011
Shailesh6,

Jayen's code is in an infinite loop.

Mine does require that you are able to read all the subdirectories of /home, and their sub-directories, and their's, and theirs ..........

Perhaps a tool like sudo for the du command would be good to elevate your privileges for the execution of that alone.

Robin
Liverpool/Blackburn
UK

Last edited by rbatte1; 10-04-2011 at 10:28 AM.. Reason: wrong word used, corrected indefinite with infinite.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help in finding Folder Size

Hi, I would like to find the size of a folder. When I run the command du -k It is going through all the sub-folder and files and taking really much time. Is there any command to get the complete directory size without showing the sub-folder and file size. Appreciate your response. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: TonySolarisAdmi
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

operation on a folder level

hi, need help in writing a script in perl. requirement : 1. Search for the files in a particular folder 2. search for a string in the file names 3. Delete the file which matches the string. Ex: if the folder is C:\TEST and the folder has 5 files like 2009ABCG.txt 2009MNO.txt... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: adityamahi
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

size of a folder ?

hi, is possible to calculate the size of a folder using ls ? ls -s works only for files.. thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aneuryzma
2 Replies

4. Cybersecurity

Ubuntu folder level security

I have installed ubuntu. And I have create users ans groups. Suppose if the user enter into through Putty SSH. He should have access only to home folder and cannot move to other than $HOME. User should not able to root files and /$ files. Kindly provide solution. Regards Vasanth kumar (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vasanthrj
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find files on first level folder

Hi: I have: folderA |----folderB |----folder1 |----folder2 |----folder3 |----folder3.1 Question: How can I find *.txt ONLY from /folderA/folderB/ and not the others folder1,2,3?? I tried: find... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: iga3725
8 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Redirect with htaccess to upper level folder, how to?

Hello, Well I have a web with a very bad structure (a vBulletin forum) and I want it redirected to a newer folder in the same server but with a upper level folder. Current structure is: https://www.unix.com/vbulletin/upload/index.php And I want it to be:... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rafaweb
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Network monitoring at boot level.

Whenever i start my server it takes app 2 minutes to get into network (After starting the network service on boot). I inquire the network guys for possible causes but they say it will need both side monitoring . One is switch side and the second is server side. I m not sure how do i check... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinga123
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Log folder size monitoring script

Hi All, Can anyone refer to me a readymade script for the purpose of log folder size monitoring script. Example : I have a log folder of size 10 G, and as the logs keep accumulating the folder gets full and i have to manually zip/remove the files in order to keep the server running. Something... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: findjai
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

General question about folder level permissions

How is the level of access on a particular folder determined? I have heard (its just hearsay so am not particularly sure of it) that the access a particular user/group has to a low level directory is also affected by the level of access granted to the user/group on its parent directories. e.g. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jawsnnn
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting folder more than 100K size

Hi , I am trying to get the folder details having size more than sme specified value and also the name of the folder should be like TEST. so 1. In the current directory search for all the folders having name like TEST 2. Print the list of the folder names having size more than 100... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anupam_Halder
3 Replies
SENDFILES(1)                                                         [nmh-1.5]                                                        SENDFILES(1)

NAME
sendfiles - send multiple files via a MIME message SYNOPSIS
sendfiles [delay] mailpath subject file1 [file2 ...] DESCRIPTION
The shell script sendfiles, is used to send a collection of files and directories via electronic mail. sendfiles mailpath "subject" files ... sendfiles will archive the files and directories you name with the tar command, and then mail the compressed archive to the "mailpath" with the given "subject". The archive will be automatically split up into as many messages as necessary in order to get past most mailers. Sometimes you want sendfiles to pause after posting a partial message. This is usually the case when you are running sendmail and expect to generate a lot of partial messages. If the first argument given to sendfiles starts with a dash, then it is interpreted as the number of seconds to pause in between postings, e.g., sendfiles -30 mailpath "subject" files ... will pause 30 seconds in between each posting. Extracting the Received Files When these messages are received, invoke mhstore once for the list of messages. The default is for mhstore to store the combined parts as a new message in the current folder, although this can be changed using storage formatting strings. You can then use mhlist to find out what's inside; possibly followed by mhstore again to write the archive to a file where you can subsequently uncompress and untar it. For instance: % mhlist 5-8 msg part type/subtype size description 5 message/partial 47K part 1 of 4 6 message/partial 47K part 2 of 4 7 message/partial 47K part 3 of 4 8 message/partial 18K part 4 of 4 % mhstore 5-8 reassembling partials 5,6,7,8 to folder inbox as message 9 % mhlist -verbose 9 msg part type/subtype size description 9 application/octet-stream 118K (extract with uncompress | tar xvpf -) type=tar conversions=compress % mhstore 9 % uncompress < 9.tar.Z | tar xvpf - Alternately, by using the -auto switch, mhstore will automatically do the extraction for you: % mhlist 5-8 msg part type/subtype size description 5 message/partial 47K part 1 of 4 6 message/partial 47K part 2 of 4 7 message/partial 47K part 3 of 4 8 message/partial 18K part 4 of 4 % mhstore 5-8 reassembling partials 5,6,7,8 to folder inbox as message 9 % mhlist -verbose 9 msg part type/subtype size description 9 application/octet-stream 118K (extract with uncompress | tar xvpf -) type=tar conversions=compress % mhstore -auto 9 -- tar listing appears here as files are extracted As the second tar listing is generated, the files are extracted. A prudent user will never put -auto in the .mh_profile file. The correct procedure is to first use mhlist to find out what will be extracted. Then mhstore can be invoked with -auto to perform the extraction. FILES
$HOME/.mh_profile The user profile PROFILE COMPONENTS
Path: To determine the user's nmh directory Current-Folder: To find the default current folder SEE ALSO
mhbuild(1), mhlist(1), mhshow(1), mhstore(1). Proposed Standard for Message Encapsulation (RFC-934) DEFAULTS
`-noverbose' CONTEXT
None MH.6.8 11 June 2012 SENDFILES(1)