Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Configuring mail to send email from server to client Post 302561392 by ieth0 on Tuesday 4th of October 2011 03:44:54 AM
Old 10-04-2011
create mailbox for root in /var/mail if its not there yet, then edit /root/.forward and put your email there.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to send attachment to web-based email client using mailx

hi, i am trying to send mail with attachment to web-based email client like gmail.com using mailx. the problem is it is displayed in content rather than as attachment. the code i am using is as follows, uuencode test1.txt test1.txt | mailx -s "test only" aaaa@gmail.com does anyone... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: randomcz1
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to send mail from server to client's email-id

i want to send email from server to the client's email-id. server is solaris. please help me out.i want to send mail to the email-id not to the var/spool/mail. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: parmeet
8 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to allow roaming client to send mails via its mail server

Hi folks OS- Debian Etch Xen postfix courier perdition perdition-mysql MySQL Single public IP Dom0 - Debian Etch workstation Server-1, domU1 for routing with perdition and perdition-mysql installed Server-2, domU2, mail server for domain-A Server-3, domU3, mail server for... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: satimis
2 Replies

4. Linux

configuring an NTP client/server

I need to configure an NTP daemon on a "bridge-PC" connected on 2 LANs. It is expected to read the correct time on a time server on the first LAN and behave as a server for the second LAN. Can I do both the things with ntpd? In other words, is ntpd able to work as client and server at the same... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bigjim33
3 Replies

5. Solaris

Configuring send mail client in solaris 10

Dear all, We have SMTP server in our organization & i want to send e-mails from solaris machine using sendmail ... in which file i need to put the smtp server ip, username & passwd.. kindly help ....... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vishwanathhcl
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

new to ldap, send email to a ou or group, and see a list from email client

hi, i'm running openldap on ubuntu 10.04, creating new items with apache directory studio (windows version). i use the ldap just as an address book to our small office (email clients are windows live mail 2009, 2011, microsoft outlook 2007 and 2010). a. i cant see a list of the contacts,... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: V4705
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

need to configure mail setting to send mail to outlook mail server

i have sun machines having solaris 9 & 10 OS . Now i need to send mail from the machines to my outlook account . I have the ip adress of OUTLOOK mail server. Now what are the setting i need to do in solaris machines so that i can use mailx or sendmail. actually i am trying to automate the high... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: amitranjansahu
2 Replies

8. Linux

Send email using mail

I need to send an email from linux using mail command. The problem is I can't hardcode the to: emailaddress, The email address is saved in a recipient.lst file on the server in this format: To: a@b.com Thanks a lot. il_labor (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: il_labor
1 Replies

9. Red Hat

Send email using mail

I need to send an email from linux using mail command. The problem is I can't hardcode the to: emailaddress, The email address is saved in a recipient.lst file on the server in this format: To: a@b.com Thanks a lot. il_labor (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: il_labor
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Client was not authenticated to send anonymous mail during MAIL FROM (in reply to MAIL FROM comm

I am having trouble getting mail to work on a red hat server. At first I was getting this message. Diagnostic-Code: X-Postfix; delivery temporarily suspended: connect to :25: Connection refused Then added the port to my firewall. Then I temporarily turned off selinux. I then copied this file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cokedude
1 Replies
forward(4)						     Kernel Interfaces Manual							forward(4)

NAME
forward - forward mail SYNOPSIS
/var/adm/forward/username $HOME/.forward DESCRIPTION
The .forward file allows a user to forward messages to another host, or to invoke programs (such as vacation(1)) to process their mail. It is formatted as a series of comma-separated addresses in the form: addr_1, addr_2, ... Alternatively, each address can be on a separate line. The newer sendmail.v8 program also allows the use of comments (lines that begin with a ``#'') and blank lines. As with the aliases(4) file, mail messages can be forwarded to another host or given to programs for further processing. The following is an example of the vacation program. Assuming that the user's name is myra, create a .forward file and add the following line: myra, "|/usr/bin/vacation myra" The previous example forwards mail to myra (the backslash prevents an accidental aliasing loop), and also sends a copy of the message to the vacation program. For security reasons, the file must be owned by the user or by root and it should be writable only by the file owner. In addition, the file must be readable by the owner (myra) or root. On traditional systems, only the $HOME/.forward file is checked. The sendmail.v8 program allows the use of the system-wide forwarding directory /var/adm/forward. By default, this directory is checked for a forward file prior to examining the users $HOME directory. FILES
System-wide forwarding file. The per-user forwarding file. RESTRICTIONS
The sendmail command can hang trying to read the user's $HOME/.forward file. If the user's home directory is NFS-mounted and temporarily unavailable, sendmail will stall until the directory becomes available again. The use of non-NFS mounted directories for the forwarding of files is recommended. The use of /var/adm/forward is supported only by sendmail.v8. The actual path for /var/adm/forward is configurable in the sendmail.cf file. Incorrect file permissions/ownership are quietly ignored. It is easy to create an accidental loop, for example, on host_a myra@host_b and on host_b myra@host_a RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: aliases(4), sendmail.cf(4), sendmail(8) delim off forward(4)