Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Removing extra new line characters Post 302561264 by c56444 on Monday 3rd of October 2011 05:38:07 PM
Old 10-03-2011
Removing extra new line characters

Hello,

I have a text file that looks like:

Code:
ABC123|some text|some more text|00001
000019|000003|Item

I have searched and found an example to remove the extra new line characters using grep and sed, but it (I think) assumes the lines start with a number and the column separator is ','. My file can start with chars or numbers and has a pipe for the column separator. I need to replace the extra new lines with a space and leave the last new line character. Any suggestions please?

Here is the sample from another thread:

Code:
echo `/usr/bin/grep -vE "^[:blank:]*$" inputfile | sed 's|^\([0-9]\)|:\1|;s|\([0-9]\)$|\1:|' | tr '\n' ' '`| sed 's|: *:|:|g' | awk -F: '{print$0}' RS=:

Thanks.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

removing linux/extra partition??

ok, well i never could get my internet connection setup in linux so now it is just wasting space on my system... so, how do i get rid of it and the extra partition made during install?? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: justchillin
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

help to replace extra new line characters

Hi my file data is like below ramu,sony,"raju \n ravi \n ramya" \n ravi,sarah,"sowmya \n sorry s\ sangam" \n i want replace new line characters in between double coats with sinhle space. for example cat input_file ramu,sony,"raju ravi ramya" ravi,sarah,"sowmya sorry sangam" ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raghava
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with Removing extra characters in Filename

Hi, It's my first time here... anyways, I have a simple problem with these filenames. This is probably too easy for you guys: ABC_20101.2A.2010_01 ABD_20103.2E.2010_04 ABE_20107.2R.2010_08 Expected Output: ABC_20101 ABD_20103 ABE_20107 The only pattern available are the ff: 1) All... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Joule
9 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

awk for removing special characters and extra commas

Hi, I have a .csv file which as empty lines with comma and some special characters in 3rd column as below. Source data 1,2,3,4,%#,6 ,,,,,, 1,2,3,4,5,6 Target Data 1,2,3,4,5,6I need to remove blank lines and special charcters I am trying to get this using the below awk awk -F","... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shruthidwh
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing characters from end of line (length unknown)

Hi I have a file which contains wrong XML, There are some garbage characters at the end of line that I want to get rid of. Example: <request type="product" ><attributes><pair><name>q</name><value><!]></value></pair><pair><name>start</name><value>1</value></pair></attributes></request>�J ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dirtyd0ggy
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing Extra Folders From a TAR

I use an extremely simple TAR function for files at work and I have a question about cleaning them up. My command is TAR -cvf ExampleTarName.tar then the folder I wish to TAR. When my TAR finishes and I double click it to check it unarchived beautifully (I don't do this with every file, duh)... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dogtown24
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing one or more blank characters from beginning of a line

Hi, I was trying to remove the blank from beginning of a line. when I try: sed 's/^ +//' filename it does not work but when I try sed 's/^ *//' filename it works But I think the first command should have also replaced any line with one or more blanks. Kindly help me in understanding... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: babom
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing extra unwanted spaces

hi, i need to remove the extra spaces in the 2nd field. Sample: abc|bd |bkd123 .. 1space abc|badf |bakdsf123 .. 2space abc|bqe |bakuowe .. 3space Output: abc|bd|bkd123 abc|badf|bakdsf123 abc|bqe|bakuowe i used the following command, (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: anshaa
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed - Removing all characters from token to end of line

Hello. The token is any printable characters between 2 " . The token is unknown, but we know that it is between 2 " Tok 1 : "1234x567" Tok 2 : "A3b6+None" Tok 3 : "A3b6!1234=@" The ligne is : Line 1 : "9876xABCDE"Do you have any code fragments or data samples in your post Line 2 : ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing extra lines from file

I have a file where data looks like this: === <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?> <xml xmlns:s='uuid:XYZ' xmlns:dt='uuid:ABC' xmlns:rs='urn:schemas-microsoft-com:rowset' xmlns:z='#RowsetSchema'> <s:Schema id='RowsetSchema'> <s:ElementType name='row'... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vx04
7 Replies
GREP(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   GREP(1)

NAME
grep, g - search a file for a pattern SYNOPSIS
grep [ option ... ] pattern [ file ... ] g [ option ... ] pattern [ file ... ] DESCRIPTION
Grep searches the input files (standard input default) for lines that match the pattern, a regular expression as defined in regexp(7) with the addition of a newline character as an alternative (substitute for |) with lowest precedence. Normally, each line matching the pattern is `selected', and each selected line is copied to the standard output. The options are -c Print only a count of matching lines. -h Do not print file name tags (headers) with output lines. -e The following argument is taken as a pattern. This option makes it easy to specify patterns that might confuse argument parsing, such as -n. -i Ignore alphabetic case distinctions. The implementation folds into lower case all letters in the pattern and input before interpre- tation. Matched lines are printed in their original form. -l (ell) Print the names of files with selected lines; don't print the lines. -L Print the names of files with no selected lines; the converse of -l. -n Mark each printed line with its line number counted in its file. -s Produce no output, but return status. -v Reverse: print lines that do not match the pattern. -f The pattern argument is the name of a file containing regular expressions one per line. -b Don't buffer the output: write each output line as soon as it is discovered. Output lines are tagged by file name when there is more than one input file. (To force this tagging, include /dev/null as a file name argument.) Care should be taken when using the shell metacharacters $*[^|()= and newline in pattern; it is safest to enclose the entire expression in single quotes '...'. An expression starting with '*' will treat the rest of the expression as literal characters. G invokes grep with -n and forces tagging of output lines by file name. If no files are listed, it searches all files matching *.C *.b *.c *.h *.m *.cc *.java *.cgi *.pl *.py *.tex *.ms SOURCE
/src/cmd/grep /bin/g SEE ALSO
ed(1), awk(1), sed(1), sam(1), regexp(7) DIAGNOSTICS
Exit status is null if any lines are selected, or non-null when no lines are selected or an error occurs. GREP(1)