Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Splitting a variable at a specific characher Post 302560992 by Andrewx991 on Sunday 2nd of October 2011 07:36:30 PM
Old 10-02-2011
Thanks, that helped me figure it out pretty quickly!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

want to specific line which i will give through variable

Hi, I have a file on unix which contains -------------------------------------- 1 # Do not remove the following line, or various programs 2 # that require network functionality will fail. 3 127.0.0.1 romhelp3 localhost.localdomain localhost 4 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: srikanthus2002
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting av file in 2 at specific place based on textpattern

I have a file that I want to split in 2 (with Bourne shell sh) preferably. The file consists of groups of lines separated by newline. The file can vary in length, so I need to check number of groups of text. Here's an example ====EXAMPLE START==== #fruit banana #color yellow #surface smooth... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: borgeh
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read a specific column into variable

Hi, I want to read the 3rd column of the v_string into a script variable v_3rd, can anyone help howto? v_string="This is for testing only" Thanks! Victor Cheung (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: victorcheung
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting a variable based on newline char

Heeloo all, A weird problem perhaps. May god save others from this problem. I want to print each line from a variable.. the example below should make it clear. smvar="Hello World1 Hello world 2 forgot there I guess" for eachline in $smvar echo $eachline end Whats for... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pavanlimo
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Splitting files into a specific directory

Hello, I am trying to do the following; bzcat data.in.bz2 | split -l 1000000 -d this work great, except that once the files have been split, they are not in the directory I want them to be in. So I then have to move them, at times this can get hairy. Is there anyway to specify where the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: amcrisan
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to edit specific variable in file?

HI guys i have a question. Question 1: how do i modify a particular string? e.g echo "Please enter Book Title: " read a echo "Please enter Author: " read b if ] then echo " Record found!" which will then pop out a menu with the follow output 1. Update Name 2.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ichar
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl, splitting out specific parts of the string

Hi there, I have an output from a command like this # ypcat -k netgroup.byuser| grep steven steven.* users_main,users_sysadmin,users_global,users_backup_team and wanted to pull the 'users' netgroups returned into a perl array, that will look like this users_main... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rethink
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using AWK to get a specific line using a variable

Hi I have a text like this example.input 1 red 2 blue 3 green If I set this c=2 Then try awk 'NR==$c { print $2 }' example.input I do get nothing If I try awk 'NR==2 { print $2 }' example.input i get blue (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jotne
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Non trivial file splitting, saving with variable filename

Hello, Although I have found similar questions, I could not find advice that could help with our problem. The issue: We have a few thousands text files (books). Each book has many chapters. Each chapter is identified by a cite-key. We need to split each of those book files by... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: samask
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print specific line using a variable

Hi Everyone, Is there a way I can print specific lines using sed -n '3,3p' file.dat or awk 'FNR==3' file.dat when using variable? For example, I have this script (get_line.ksh) that accepts line parameter that a user wanted to print in the file.dat. file.dat one two three four ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: zzavilz
1 Replies
DELLOFIG(3)						      MBK PHYSICAL FUNCTIONS						       DELLOFIG(3)

NAME
dellofig - delete and free a logical figure ORIGIN
This software belongs to the ALLIANCE CAD SYSTEM developed by the ASIM team at LIP6 laboratory of Universite Pierre et Marie CURIE, in Paris, France. Web : http://asim.lip6.fr/recherche/alliance/ E-mail : alliance-users@asim.lip6.fr SYNOPSYS
#include "mlo.h" int dellofig(figname) char *figname; PARAMETER
figname Name of the figure to be deleted DESCRIPTION
dellofig deletes the figure called figname from the list of logical figure in memory. All the lists of elements belonging to the figure are also deleted and freed. RETURN VALUE
dellofig returns 1 if the figure was delete, and 0 if no figure called figname was present in memory. EXAMPLE
#include "mlo.h" void delete_na2_y() { if (dellofig("na2_y")) (void)fputs("deleted na2_y successfully", stdout); else (void)fputs("na2_y not present in ram !", stdout); } SEE ALSO
mbk(1), lofig(3), addlofig(3), getlofig(3), loadlofig(3), savelofig(3), flattenlofig(3), rflattenlofig(3). BUG REPORT
This tool is under development at the ASIM department of the LIP6 laboratory. We need your feedback to improve documentation and tools. ASIM
/LIP6 October 1, 1997 DELLOFIG(3)