Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting "find . -printf" without prepended "." path? Getting path to current working directory? Post 302560905 by Scott on Sunday 2nd of October 2011 08:23:25 AM
Old 10-02-2011
The dot (.) is the current directory. That's what you chose to "find" in, and so that is what is displayed.

If you want to find in the current directory, but have the output you desires:

Code:
find . -type f -printf "($PWD) /%P\n"

If you search in any path other than . then this no longer works.

printf is not a standard find option, and so your script loses portability if you use it, if that matters to you.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Listing only directories in the current working directory using the "ls" command

Hello All, I am trying to list only directories in my current directory using the command "ls -d". But the output only contains the default directory "." and doesn't list the rest of the directories in the working directory. Can anyone explain why this is happening (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: igandu
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

"find command" to find the files in the current directories but not in the "subdir"

Dear friends, please tell me how to find the files which are existing in the current directory, but it sholud not search in the sub directories.. it is like this, current directory contains file1, file2, file3, dir1, dir2 and dir1 conatins file4, file5 and dir2 contains file6,... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: swamymns
9 Replies

3. AIX

AIX cp error: "A file or directory in the path does not exist"

Hello fellow UNIX fans, I'm running AIX 4.3 and getting an error message “cp: /a/file2.db: A file or directory in the path does not exist” when I run the following command: cp /b/file.db /a/file2.db It stops every time about 95% of the way through the copy process at 1,073,741,312 bits. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jackson123
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find lines with "A" then change "E" to "X" same line

I have a bunch of random character lines like ABCEDFG. I want to find all lines with "A" and then change any "E" to "X" in the same line. ALL lines with "A" will have an "X" somewhere in it. I have tried sed awk and vi editor. I get close, not quite there. I know someone has already solved this... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: nightwatchrenba
10 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using "mailx" command to read "to" and "cc" email addreses from input file

How to use "mailx" command to do e-mail reading the input file containing email address, where column 1 has name and column 2 containing “To” e-mail address and column 3 contains “cc” e-mail address to include with same email. Sample input file, email.txt Below is an sample code where... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asjaiswal
2 Replies

7. Answers to Frequently Asked Questions

find "/path" -type f -ctime +30

When I use the command find "/abc/xyz" -type f -ctime +30 getting the error as find:"/abc/xyz /lost+found: Permission Denied" I tired find "/abc/xyz" -type d \( ! lost+found \) -type f -ctime +30 The error is find: paths must precede expression Usage: find Tried find "/abc/xyz"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: anithab
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

find . -path "*_nobackup*" -prune -iname "*.PDF" \( ! -name "*_nobackup.*" \)

These three finds worked as expected: $ find . -iname "*.PDF" $ find . -iname "*.PDF" \( ! -name "*_nobackup.*" \) $ find . -path "*_nobackup*" -prune -iname "*.PDF" They all returned the match: ./folder/file.pdf :b: This find returned no matches: $ find . -path "*_nobackup*" -prune... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wolfv
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - Print an ascii file using specific font "Latin Modern Mono 12" "regular" "9"

Hello. System : opensuse leap 42.3 I have a bash script that build a text file. I would like the last command doing : print_cmd -o page-left=43 -o page-right=22 -o page-top=28 -o page-bottom=43 -o font=LatinModernMono12:regular:9 some_file.txt where : print_cmd ::= some printing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcdole
1 Replies

10. AIX

Apache 2.4 directory cannot display "Last modified" "Size" "Description"

Hi 2 all, i have had AIX 7.2 :/# /usr/IBMAHS/bin/apachectl -v Server version: Apache/2.4.12 (Unix) Server built: May 25 2015 04:58:27 :/#:/# /usr/IBMAHS/bin/apachectl -M Loaded Modules: core_module (static) so_module (static) http_module (static) mpm_worker_module (static) ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: penchev
3 Replies
HFS(1)                                                        General Commands Manual                                                       HFS(1)

NAME
hfs - shell for manipulating HFS volumes SYNOPSIS
hfs [hfs-path [partition-no]] DESCRIPTION
hfs is an interactive command-oriented tool for manipulating HFS volumes. hfs is based on the Tcl interpreter, so basic Tcl constructs can be used in addition to the following commands: mount path [partition-no] The specified UNIX path is opened as an HFS volume. If a partition number n is specified and the volume source is located on a par- titioned medium, the nth discovered HFS partition will be mounted. The default partition-no is 1. umount [path] The volume previously mounted from the specified path (or the current volume, if none specified) is unmounted. vol path The volume previously mounted from the specified path is made current. info General information about the currently mounted volume is displayed. This information is also displayed automatically when the vol- ume is mounted. pwd The full path to the current working HFS directory is displayed. cd [hfs-path] The current working directory is changed to the given HFS path. If no path is given, the working directory is changed to the root of the volume. dir [hfs-path] A directory listing of the specified HFS directory is displayed. If no path is given, the contents of the current working directory are shown. mkdir hfs-path A new, empty directory is created with the specified path. rmdir hfs-path The specified directory is removed. It must be empty. create hfs-path [type [creator]] An empty file is created with the specified path. The Macintosh type and creator may be specified, or they will default to TEXT and UNIX, respectively. del hfs-path Both forks of the specified file are deleted. stat hfs-path Status information about the specified HFS path-identified entity is displayed. cat hfs-path The data fork of the specified HFS file is displayed. copyin unix-path [hfs-path [mode]] The specified UNIX file is copied to the named HFS destination path. Unless specified otherwise, the file will be copied into the current HFS working directory using a heuristically chosen mode. The mode may be one of: macb (MacBinary II), binh (BinHex), text, or raw. copyout hfs-path [unix-path [mode]] The specified HFS file is copied into the named UNIX destination path. Unless specified otherwise, the file will be copied into the current UNIX working directory using a heuristically chosen mode. The modes are the same as for copyin. format path [partition-no [volume-name]] The specified UNIX path is initialized as an empty HFS volume with the given name, and this volume is subsequently mounted. The default volume name is Untitled. The shell is scriptable, however it should be understood that the above commands are actually implemented by Tcl procedures prefixed with the character "h", e.g. hmount, hcd, etc., in order to avoid name collisions with other Tcl utilities. The "h" may be omitted in interac- tive use for convenience. SEE ALSO
hfsutils(1), xhfs(1) BUGS
cat can only display the data fork of a file. Text translations are performed unconditionally on the output. Furthermore, binary data can- not be handled properly from within Tcl scripts since the character with value 0 cannot be represented in Tcl strings. Use copyout to copy files without these limitations. AUTHOR
Robert Leslie <rob@mars.org> HFSUTILS 15-Jan-1997 HFS(1)