Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat RHEL: Users unable to login via SSH Post 302560635 by Tommyk on Friday 30th of September 2011 11:35:19 AM
Old 09-30-2011
when you say they were unable to log in via ssh, were they unable to connect to the box (as in no login prompt) or were they connecting and not being able to use their username and passwd to log in?

If they could get a login prompt please post the output of /var/log/secure for the 28th (might be in secure 1 or 2 depending on log file rotation). (please blank out any usernames or information relating to your server's setup such as I.P.s)

If they could not get a login prompt check /var/adm/boot.log to see if the ssh service was stopped or started on/around that day. Could it have been a fire wall issue preventing access via ssh to that box?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Not able to login as normal users through console /telnet/ssh

Hi , I am having problem,users are not able to login through ssh or telnet.Only we can login as root user in console. Restarted telnet and sshd ,no luck. Any ideas. AIX -- 5.2 ML 07 Thanks, MNK (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mnkfre
1 Replies

2. Linux

Unable to login with Domain users in the Suse linux

Hi Team, I have joined the Suse Linux Server in my domain. I am not able update the DNS but I am able to join the domain. net ads testjoin gives me Join ok. even net ads dns register -P results to DNS update failed. wbinfo -u and wbinfo -g also not working. Samba Configuration: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: naree
1 Replies

3. Red Hat

Unable to login via ssh-tectia

HI Experts, I am having dificulty in loggin on the server via ssh-tectia. Sometimes, i can login for like 3 seconds the it shows error "disconnected from network" Other's can login on this server via ssh-tectia without any problem, BUT i can successfully connect to other servers . ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: EngnrRG
2 Replies

4. Red Hat

cannot ssh (use NFS) on RHEL box, but can mount external & ssh out of RHEL box

Ok, Im trying to get NFS working on my RHEL 5 box, apparently i can use the box as a client, but not as a server. If it helps i cant ssh into the box (server), but as a client ssh works fine. Ive configured server: /etc/hosts.allow: all : all all :all@all setup my /etc/exports file... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: drs.grid
4 Replies

5. Solaris

Unable to login to solaris9 server using SSH mode

Unable to login to solaris9 server using SSH mode for root as well as genreal logins. Please find the configuration file . oss@HYDOHS02:ssh> cat sshd_config # # Copyright 2005 Sun Microsystems, Inc. All rights reserved. # Use is subject to license terms. # #pragma ident "@(#)sshd_config ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: hydoss1
6 Replies

6. HP-UX

How to set PATH variable for all HP-UX users when they login using ssh?

Hello friends, I need to set PATH variable for all HP-UX users. I tried to implement it using /etc/profile and /etc/sshrc both none of them work. I don't see sshrc file anywhere. Please advise! TIA (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: prvnrk
4 Replies

7. AIX

Unable to ssh or login to AIX server

We are having occasional problems accessing some AIX servers. When this happens we cannot ssh to the server in question or login via HMC console terminal window. We can ssh some commands to the server and get responses but other commands just hang, ssh serverA date returns the date, ssh serverA... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kierong
5 Replies

8. Red Hat

RHEL 6, Spacewalk 2.3 unable to download RHEL 5 repo data

Hello all, I am having a bit of an issue on my Spacewalk installation. Some amplifying information is that it is Spacewalk 2.3 installed on a RHEL 6 machine and I am attempting to install/update a RHEL 5 channel/repository. I am fairly new to Spacewalk so I am still learning but this is what I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jstone4646
3 Replies

9. AIX

Unable to login in ssh terminal

Hi guys when ever i tried to connect aix server in my institute through ssh terminal the pop is coming like network is unreachable .Am using MacBook air the other guys who are using putty software in windows they can easily login in tho the server through remotely . Is there any one can... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aashishb007
3 Replies

10. Ubuntu

Expect /bash, 2 ssh login users

HI all i need to connect to about 900 cisco routers and switch to do some configs changes. the issue i am having is that half the devices have one set of username and password and the other half have another username and password. From expect or bash script i can ssh into a device and make... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: quintin
1 Replies
rhosts(5)							File Formats Manual							 rhosts(5)

Name
       rhosts - list of hosts that are logically equivalent to the local host

Syntax
       /$HOME/.rhosts

Description
       The  file  allows  a  user  who has an account on the local host to log in from a remote host without supplying a password.  It also allows
       remote copies to the local host.

If the file exists, it is located in a user's home directory.  It is not a mandatory file, however.

The format of a file entry is:
       hostname [username]
       The hostname is the name of the remote host from which the user wants to log into the local host.  The username is the user's login name on
       the remote host.  If you do not specify a user name, the user must have the same login name on both the remote and local hosts.

The  host  names  listed in the file may optionally contain the local BIND domain name.	For more information on BIND, see the Guide to the
       BIND/Hesiod Service.

If a user is logged in to and wants to log in to a host called without supplying a password, she must:

o    Have an account on

o    Create a file in her home directory on

o    Specify host1 ginger as an entry in the file.
	    If has the same login on both and she can simply specify host1 in her entry.  You can allow the superuser of a remote system to log in
	    to your system without password protection or perform a remote copy by having a file in the root ( / ) directory, but it is not recom-
	    mended.
	    In addition to having a file, the superuser needs a terminal entry in the file for each pseudoterminal configured in the system.   The
	    secure entry looks similar to the following:
	    ttyp3      none    network	       secure
	    See the reference page for more information.

Examples
       The  following is a sample file for the user It is located in her home directory on She also has accounts on the hosts called and Her login
       name on and is the same as on but her login on is

To enable to log in to from and without supplying a password, her on should contain the following entries:
       machine1
       system1	gordon
       host3

See Also
       hosts.equiv(5), ttys(5)
       Introduction to Networking and Distributed System Services

rhosts(5)