Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Get the distinct string from file. Post 302560494 by jayan_jay on Friday 30th of September 2011 02:26:18 AM
Old 09-30-2011
Code:
$ awk -F\| '{print $1|"uniq"}' infile

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

select distinct row from a file

Hi, buddies out there. I have a text file ( only one column ) which I created using vi editor. The file contains duplicate rows and I would like to select distinct rows, how to go on it using unix command: file content = apple apple orange watermelon apple orange Can it be done... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: merry susana
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Loop through only the distinct values in a file

Datafile has the following data seperated by : FIELD1:FIELD2:FIELD3 D1:/opt/9.1.9:Y D2:/opt/10.1.10:Y D3:/opt/9.1.9:Y D4:/opt/8.1.8:Y D5:/opt/8.1.8:Y D6:/opt/9.1.9:Y D7:/opt/9.1.9:Y D8:/opt/10.1.10:Y D9:/opt/9.1.9:Y D10:/opt/10.1.10:Y I want to do some operations only on the distinct... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pbekal
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting Distinct values from second field in a file....

Hi I have a pipe delimited file. I am trying to grab the DISTINCT value from the second field. The file is something like: 1233|apple|ron 1234|apple|elephant 1235|egg|man the output I am trying to get from second field is apple,egg (apple coming only once) Thanks simi (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: simi28
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Select distinct values from a flat file

Hi , I have a similar problem. Please can anyone help me with a shell script or a perl. I have a flat file like this fruit country apple germany apple india banana pakistan banana saudi mango india I want to get a output like fruit country apple ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: smalya
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to get distinct counts in a column of a file

If i have a file sample.txt with more than 10 columns and 11th column as following data. would it be possible to get the distinct counts of values in single shot,Thank you. Y Y N N N P P o Expected Result: Value count Y 2 N 3 P 2 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ariean
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Select distinct rows in a file by last column

Hi, I have the following file: LOG:015608::ERR:2310:map_spsrec:Invalid parameter LOG:015608::ERR:2471:map_dgdrec:Invalid parameter LOG:015608::ERR:2487:map_nnmrec:Invalid number LOG:015608::ERR:2310:map_nmrec:Invalid number LOG:015608::ERR:2438:map_nmrec:Invalid number As a delimiter I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: apenkov
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do a distinct from a file using sort uniq in bash?

I have an output file .dat. From this file i have to do a distinct of the ID using the sort uniq command in bash script. How can i do it? i found : sort -u ${FILEOUT_DAT} but i don't think is my solution because the id isn't specified.. is there other solution? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: punticci
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get distinct Tags from an XML file?

Sample XML file: <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-16" ?> <Provider PROVIDER="xx" SCHEMA_VERSION="2.5"> <Institution UNINUM="xxxx" EXTRACT_DATE="2013-12-31" CUSTOMER_ROW_COUNT="1577" LOAN_ROW_COUNT="3322" BOOK_VALUE_DOLLARS="720163381.46"> <Customer CIF="dww213">... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ariean
11 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get distinct value in bash between two string

Sorry for my english i am french So i am receiving from a script this prompt : tabular;critical;mirroring;DG INTlocaldg VOLUME appears tabular;critical;mirroring;DG INTlocaldg VOLUME bh3vm tabular;critical;mirroring;DG INTlocaldg VOLUME dev tabular;critical;mirroring;DG INTlocaldg VOLUME... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cterra
3 Replies
UNIQ(1) 							   User Commands							   UNIQ(1)

NAME
uniq - report or omit repeated lines SYNOPSIS
uniq [OPTION]... [INPUT [OUTPUT]] DESCRIPTION
Filter adjacent matching lines from INPUT (or standard input), writing to OUTPUT (or standard output). With no options, matching lines are merged to the first occurrence. Mandatory arguments to long options are mandatory for short options too. -c, --count prefix lines by the number of occurrences -d, --repeated only print duplicate lines, one for each group -D, --all-repeated[=METHOD] print all duplicate lines groups can be delimited with an empty line METHOD={none(default),prepend,separate} -f, --skip-fields=N avoid comparing the first N fields --group[=METHOD] show all items, separating groups with an empty line METHOD={separate(default),prepend,append,both} -i, --ignore-case ignore differences in case when comparing -s, --skip-chars=N avoid comparing the first N characters -u, --unique only print unique lines -z, --zero-terminated end lines with 0 byte, not newline -w, --check-chars=N compare no more than N characters in lines --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit A field is a run of blanks (usually spaces and/or TABs), then non-blank characters. Fields are skipped before chars. Note: 'uniq' does not detect repeated lines unless they are adjacent. You may want to sort the input first, or use 'sort -u' without 'uniq'. Also, comparisons honor the rules specified by 'LC_COLLATE'. GNU coreutils online help: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/> Report uniq translation bugs to <http://translationproject.org/team/> AUTHOR
Written by Richard M. Stallman and David MacKenzie. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2013 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
comm(1), join(1), sort(1) The full documentation for uniq is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and uniq programs are properly installed at your site, the command info coreutils 'uniq invocation' should give you access to the complete manual. GNU coreutils 8.22 June 2014 UNIQ(1)