Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to split a huge file into small pieces (per 2000 columns)? Post 302560336 by Corona688 on Thursday 29th of September 2011 01:02:43 PM
Old 09-29-2011
"what kind of system do you want to do x with?"
"unix"
"what model car do you need new brakepads for?"
"blue"

I'm writing a generic solution for you... It won't be the most efficient but should work most places.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split a file into 16 small files

Hi I want to split a file that has 'n' number of records into 16 small files. Can some one suggest me how to do this using Unix script? Thanks rrkk (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: rrkks
10 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do I split file into pieces with PERL?

How do I split file into pieces with PERL? IE file.txt head 1 2 3 4 end head 5 6 7 8 9 end n so on (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: 3junior
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help- counting delimiter in a huge file and split data into 2 files

I’m new to Linux script and not sure how to filter out bad records from huge flat files (over 1.3GB each). The delimiter is a semi colon “;” Here is the sample of 5 lines in the file: Name1;phone1;address1;city1;state1;zipcode1 Name2;phone2;address2;city2;state2;zipcode2;comment... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: lv99
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to split a huge file by every 100 lines

into small files. i need to add a head.txt and tail.txt into small files at the begin and end, and give a name as q1.xml q2.xml q3.xml .... thank you very much. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dtdt
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split a 30GB XML file into 16 pieces

I have a 30 GB XMl file which looks like this: <page> <title>APRIL</title> .........(text contents that I need to extract and store in 1.dat including the <title> tag) </page> <page> <title>August</title> ....(text contents that I need to store in 2.dat including the <title> tag) </page>... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
13 Replies

6. Solaris

How to split 10GB file into small Sizes

Hi Team I have one 10 Gb log file I want to split it into say 10 of 1-1Gb file pls share ur experiences how to do this? Thanks in advance, (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: zimmyyash
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Split a huge 7 GB File Based on Pattern into 4 files

Hi, I have a Huge 7 GB file which has around 1 million records, i want to split this file into 4 files to contain around 250k messages each. Please help me as Split command cannot work here as it might miss tags.. Format of the file is as below <!--###### ###### START-->... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: KishM
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to split this txt file into small files?

Dear shell experts, I would like to spilt a txt file into small ones. However, I did not know how to program use shell. If someone could help, it is greatly appreciated! Specifically, I supposed there is file named A.txt. The content of the file likes this: Subject run condtion ACC time... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: psychmyluo
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Split large file into 24 small files on one hour basis

I Have a large file with 24hrs log in the below format.i need to split the large file in to 24 small files on one hour based.i.e ex:from 09:55 to 10:55,10:55-11:55 can any one help me on this.! ... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raghuram717
20 Replies

10. Solaris

Split huge File System

Gents I have huge NAS File System as /sys with size 10 TB and I want to Split each 1TB in spirit File System to be mounted in the server. How to can I do that without changing anything in the source. Please your support. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: AbuAliiiiiiiiii
1 Replies
SPLIT(1)						      General Commands Manual							  SPLIT(1)

NAME
split - split a file into pieces SYNOPSIS
split [ option ... ] [ file ] DESCRIPTION
Split reads file (standard input by default) and writes it in pieces of 1000 lines per output file. The names of the output files are xaa, xab, and so on to xzz. The options are -n n Split into n-line pieces. -l n Synonym for -n n, a nod to Unix's syntax. -e expression File divisions occur at each line that matches a regular expression; see regexp(7). Multiple -e options may appear. If a subex- pression of expression is contained in parentheses (...), the output file name is the portion of the line which matches the subex- pression. -f stem Use stem instead of x in output file names. -s suffix Append suffix to names identified under -e. -x Exclude the matched input line from the output file. -i Ignore case in option -e; force output file names (excluding the suffix) to lower case. SOURCE
/src/cmd/split.c SEE ALSO
sed(1), awk(1), grep(1), regexp(7) SPLIT(1)