Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Removing trailing lines at the end of a text file Post 302560129 by jayan_jay on Thursday 29th of September 2011 02:41:35 AM
Old 09-29-2011
Code:
$ grep '.' infile
$
$ sed '/./!d' infile
$
$ sed '/^$/d' infile
$

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

removing trailing spaces of a particular column in a file

Hi, I am currently confused. Suppose I have a file something like the one below. 4299|raj Telecommunications|12||||| 4302|anjali International Ltd.|86|ritchie||dong|(000)2890 9993 |(222)4881 3689 4305|フィデュシアリ・ト-スト・インター...ショ...ル投資顧問株式会社 |112||||01-9211-1931 |08-3677-1985 Now... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rooh
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

re: removing trailing space from lines

Not sure why this thread was closed without any explanation, but you can do what you're asking with sed 's/]*$//g' < sourceFile > destFile (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: oombera
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing lines in a text file.

Here is my problem I'm hoping you guru's can help me figure out. I have a text file that contains comma delimited columns. What I'm looking to do is see if the 24th column on each row in the file contains a value (not null), and then write/append that line to a different file. I've been... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: WABonnett
4 Replies

4. Solaris

removing particular lines ending with a .cnt extension in a text file

I have a text file with rows of information (it is basically a ls command information(o/p from ls command)) I need to remove the lines ending with a .cnt extension and keep the lines ending with .zip extension, how to accomplish this. I also only need the date,size and name of the file from every... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramky79
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

removing multiple lines of text in a file

Hi, I'm trying to remove multiple lines of text based off a series of different words and output it to a new file The document contains a ton of data but i want to delete any line that has the following mx1.rr.biz.com or ns2.ri.biz.com i tried using grep -v filename "mx1.rr.biz.com" >... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: spartan22
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

print string at the end of lines in text file

hello, I go text file like this E:/DDD/Dyndede/wwww E:/DDD/sss.com/ffffg/fff E:/DDD/vvvvvv/dd E:/DDD/sss.com/bbbbbb E:/DDD/sss.com/nnnn/xxI want to print /alpha.jpg at the end of every lines like that E:/DDD/Dyndede/wwww/alpha.jpg E:/DDD/sss.com/ffffg/fff/alpha.jpg... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: davidkhan
8 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing empty lines at the end of a Tab-delimited file

I'm trying to remove all of the empty lines at the end of a Tab delimited file. They have no data just tabs. I've tried may things, here are a couple: sed /^\t.\t/d File1 > File2 sed /^\t{44}/d File1 > File2 What am I missing? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: SirHenry1
9 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Add strings from one file at the end of specific lines in text file

Hello All, this is my first post so I don't know if I am doing this right. I would like to append entries from a series of strings (contained in a text file) consecutively at the end of specifically labeled lines in another file. As an example: - the file that contains the values to be... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gus74
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing md5sum lines stored in text file

Hello. I'm writing a script where every file you create will generate a md5sum and store it into a text file. Say I create 2 files, it'll look like this in the text file: d41d8cd98f00b204e9800998ecf8427e /helloworld/saystheman d41d8cd98f00b204e9800998ecf8427e /helloworld/test I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: batarangs_
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Selecting text on multiple lines, then removing a beginning and end patterns

I have a file similar to the below. I am selecting only the paragraphs with @inlineifset. I am using the following command sed '/@inlineifset/,/^ *$/!d; s/@inlineifset{mrg, @btpar{@//' $flnm >> $ofln This produces @section Correlations between seismograms,,,,}} ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Danette
5 Replies
MAKE_SOCKSFC(8) 					      System Manager's Manual						   MAKE_SOCKSFC(8)

NAME
make_socksfc - Generates frozen configuratyion file for SOCKS clients SYNOPSIS
make_socksfc [infile [outfile] ] DESCRIPTION
make_socksfc reads in a plain-text configuration file for the SOCKS clients and produces a frozen configuration file as the output. Both arguments are optional. The default for infile is /etc/socks.conf; the default for outfile is /etc/socks.fc. You may specify infile while omitting outfile, but you cannot specify outfile without also speficying infile. The contents of the frozen configuration file is essentially the memory image of the parsed input file. Using the frozen configuration file can reduce the start-up delay of the SOCKS client programs since they no longer have to parse the file contents. When the SOCKS client starts, it always looks for the frozen configuration file /etc/socks.fc first . If that file is not found, it then tries to use the plain-text configuration file /etc/socks.conf. If you use frozen configuration, you must remember to run make_socksfc every time after you modify the plain-text file or the SOCKS clients will continue to use the frozen file of a previous configuration. To find out the contents of a frozen configuration file, use dump_socksfc. FILES
/etc/socks.fc, /etc/socks.conf SEE ALSO
dump_socksfc(8), socks.conf(5), socks.fc(5) AUTHOR
Ying-Da Lee, yingda@esd.sgi.com or yingda@best.com May 6, 1996 MAKE_SOCKSFC(8)