Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Login takes 44secs to 50secs
Operating Systems Solaris Login takes 44secs to 50secs Post 302559782 by sbk1972 on Wednesday 28th of September 2011 06:08:16 AM
Old 09-28-2011
do you log in as root ?? or just a normal user ??

If you log in as root, is the login process slow, i.e. the time it takes to come back and ask you for your password, or after the password, to then see you prompt ? Then your system is running slow, so need to do the top / vmstat / ps stuff to find out why.

If it isnt slow when logging via root, and only when you log in via a normal user then its something userid / home dir issue. Do your users auto mount thier home directory ? Do you have some 3rd party authentication s/w like VAS ? This is why I asked you to check your local DNS / pam.conf settings.

Does this normal user have some commands it runs via the .profile ?? i.e. does it fire off something the moment you log in ?? So, check the .profile / .cshrc or whatever shell you are using.

So, do two tests, login as root, see what happens. Log in as a normal user, and see what happens.

SBK

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. News, Links, Events and Announcements

SCO takes one in the pants...

I know this may be in the wrong forum but it will be seen more often here... WOW!! Someone is really mad at SCO regarding their latest attempt to push around the free Linux world... But seems someone did the old rockem sockem to SCO!! ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kelam_Magnus
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Login Process takes longer

Hello. Since Yesterday, I notice that after giving telnet IP or SSH IP - it takes long time to display login: , I mean earlier after entering Server name It used to immediately ask for login ID and then password. But, now it takes min of 2-3 minute to ask for password. Where can I check,... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: panchpan
12 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

script takes params

i want to write a shell script that can be run as ./deployPortal.sh -version 5.1.2 -portlet -exportall how can i do that? version param is required. bu the others are optional. in first step i only want to read 5.1.2, is portlet selected ? and is exportall selected ?? can you... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: keromotti
2 Replies

4. Cybersecurity

APACHE: Tie in Web Page login with server login

Hello, I have created a web page on a server using apache and added .htaccess and .htpasswd in the folder for authentification. I was wondering if there was anyway to tie-in the login for this page with the login used to logon to the server. i.e. the same login info. is used for both, when... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: WhotheWhat
1 Replies

5. Linux

it takes long time to login on server

Hi, I am trying to login using ssh on Red Hat Linux 5 server, The password appears immediately but after I enter the password it takes about 90 seconds to login completely. Please suggest what changes require? Regards, Manoj (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
4 Replies

6. Red Hat

Login to server takes time

When I am trying to login to a server using Putty ssh from my windows xp machine it is taking too much time for login. My server name is http2 and when I enter this address into putty I immediately get login as: screen, but after I put my username root and enter the cursor moves downwards... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhilashkrishn
14 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to takes missing files

Hi Am using unix aix I have a group of files in File1 For ex:- Vi file1 A0405 A0605 A0805 When i tried using awk command am getting an error as No space a=`awk 'NF < 1 {next;} p && p != $1 { for( i = p; i < $1; i++ )print i; } {p = $1 + 1 }' file2` Error message:- + + awk NF <... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Venkatesh1
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to takes the missing files?

Hi all , am using unix aix I have a files in one directory.. my files as in format qqss0607.ddd.. (06 is date 07 is month) how to check the missing dates .... can anyone tell me... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Venkatesh1
9 Replies
PAM_SECURETTY(8)						 Linux-PAM Manual						  PAM_SECURETTY(8)

NAME
pam_securetty - Limit root login to special devices SYNOPSIS
pam_securetty.so [debug] DESCRIPTION
pam_securetty is a PAM module that allows root logins only if the user is logging in on a "secure" tty, as defined by the listing in /etc/securetty. pam_securetty also checks to make sure that /etc/securetty is a plain file and not world writable. It will also allow root logins on the tty specified with console= switch on the kernel command line and on ttys from the /sys/class/tty/console/active. This module has no effect on non-root users and requires that the application fills in the PAM_TTY item correctly. For canonical usage, should be listed as a required authentication method before any sufficient authentication methods. OPTIONS
debug Print debug information. noconsole Do not automatically allow root logins on the kernel console device, as specified on the kernel command line or by the sys file, if it is not also specified in the /etc/securetty file. MODULE TYPES PROVIDED
Only the auth module type is provided. RETURN VALUES
PAM_SUCCESS The user is allowed to continue authentication. Either the user is not root, or the root user is trying to log in on an acceptable device. PAM_AUTH_ERR Authentication is rejected. Either root is attempting to log in via an unacceptable device, or the /etc/securetty file is world writable or not a normal file. PAM_INCOMPLETE An application error occurred. pam_securetty was not able to get information it required from the application that called it. PAM_SERVICE_ERR An error occurred while the module was determining the user's name or tty, or the module could not open /etc/securetty. PAM_USER_UNKNOWN The module could not find the user name in the /etc/passwd file to verify whether the user had a UID of 0. Therefore, the results of running this module are ignored. EXAMPLES
auth required pam_securetty.so auth required pam_unix.so SEE ALSO
securetty(5), pam.conf(5), pam.d(5), pam(7) AUTHOR
pam_securetty was written by Elliot Lee <sopwith@cuc.edu>. Linux-PAM Manual 09/19/2013 PAM_SECURETTY(8)