Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Question on NULL and zero value of variable Post 302559774 by spynappels on Wednesday 28th of September 2011 05:47:48 AM
Old 09-28-2011
I may not have been clear, I'll try again.

I want this if block to trigger if $intcheck == 1 and $Current_csm2 is a value other then 0, so it might be NULL or it may be 3 or it may be "foo", any of these would cause the script to exit with a specific exit code.

if $intcheck == 1 and $Current_csm2==0, I want the if block to be bypassed and the rest of the script to run.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

PERL: how to tell if variable is NULL

How to I do a check on a variable to see if it's null-- I am using Perl. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dangral
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

/dev/null 2>&1 question

Hi, suppose you have the following line at your crontab : 5 * * * * /usr/mine/script > /dev/null 2>&1 now i understood that the " > /dev/null 2>&1 outputs both Standard outpout and Standard Error messages to the /dev/null device or file... the first part , " > /dev/null " transfers... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: BAM
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to filter a null variable.

I have the necessity to use this command: cat file1 | grep $A | grep $B where sometime A and, or, B are not set. For example: I set A=@ never defined or set B The above command send a cat error. Any idea? Thanks. Giovanni (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gio123bg
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

check for NULL variable

Hello I want to check for NULL variable.. but this is not working..please help thanks in advance esham (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: esham
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

test Null variable

hi forum i beginning with script and i want test un null variable in a schell i just don t know the syntax here is a litle example y=test echo $y unset y echo $y (so here Y = Null) if Y=Null then echo "y is null" exit fi (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kykyboss
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to check null variable

korn shell If then update_smartcare_user_password "$u_id" else echo "Not a database user" fi i get this error Syntax error at line *** : `then' is not expected. what should i do. I want to check whether $a is null or not. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sachin.gangadha
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Newbie question: if[command not null]

hi, i have to put in my script a command that should tell me if the contents of two different paths are the same. I thought to write an "if" command who makes the diff of two files which contains the `ls` of the folders and go on with the script if is not null, but i'm afraid of the fact... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: zangarules
13 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Value of variable is NULL, but test doesn't seem to recognize

Hello, Unix-forums! My problem: read -p "Enter any number, please" number sleep 1 echo $number | tr -d 0-9 test -z $number && echo "Thank you" || echo "This is not a number"Test always displays "This is not a number". It doesn't matter if I entered a or 1. But if I order echo... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: intelinside
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

If condition to check null variable

Guys, Please help me on the below sample.cfg var=NULL sample.sh #!/bin/sh . /sample.cfg if ;then 1 st command here else 2 nd command here fi (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: AraR87
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

If grep value is null then assign 0 to variable

DELETE=`cat $logfile1 | egrep -i "Delete" | sed 's/ */ /g' | cut -d" " -f2` INSERT=`cat $logfile1 | egrep -i "Insert" | sed 's/ */ /g' | cut -d" " -f2` UPDATE=`cat $logfile1 | egrep -i "Update" | sed 's/ */ /g' | cut -d" " -f2` I need soming like below: if value is null... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Veera_V
8 Replies
Net::DNS::Question(3)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				     Net::DNS::Question(3)

NAME
Net::DNS::Question - DNS question class SYNOPSIS
"use Net::DNS::Question" DESCRIPTION
A "Net::DNS::Question" object represents a record in the question section of a DNS packet. METHODS
new $question = Net::DNS::Question->new("example.com", "MX", "IN"); Creates a question object from the domain, type, and class passed as arguments. RFC4291 and RFC4632 IP address/prefix notation is supported for queries in in-addr.arpa and ip6.arpa subdomains. parse ($question, $offset) = Net::DNS::Question->parse($data, $offset); Parses a question section record at the specified location within a DNS packet. The first argument is a reference to the packet data. The second argument is the offset within the packet where the question record begins. Returns a Net::DNS::Question object and the offset of the next location in the packet. Parsing is aborted if the question object cannot be created (e.g., corrupt or insufficient data). qname, zname print "qname = ", $question->qname, " "; print "zname = ", $question->zname, " "; Returns the domain name. In dynamic update packets, this field is known as "zname" and refers to the zone name. qtype, ztype print "qtype = ", $question->qtype, " "; print "ztype = ", $question->ztype, " "; Returns the record type. In dymamic update packets, this field is known as "ztype" and refers to the zone type (must be SOA). qclass, zclass print "qclass = ", $question->qclass, " "; print "zclass = ", $question->zclass, " "; Returns the record class. In dynamic update packets, this field is known as "zclass" and refers to the zone's class. print $question->print; Prints the question record on the standard output. string print $qr->string, " "; Returns a string representation of the question record. data $qdata = $question->data($packet, $offset); Returns the question record in binary format suitable for inclusion in a DNS packet. Arguments are a "Net::DNS::Packet" object and the offset within that packet's data where the "Net::DNS::Question" record is to be stored. This information is necessary for using compressed domain names. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 1997-2002 Michael Fuhr. Portions Copyright (c) 2002-2004 Chris Reinhardt. Portions Copyright (c) 2003,2006-2009 Dick Franks. All rights reserved. This program is free software; you may redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. SEE ALSO
perl(1), Net::DNS, Net::DNS::Resolver, Net::DNS::Packet, Net::DNS::Update, Net::DNS::Header, Net::DNS::RR, RFC 1035 Section 4.1.2 perl v5.12.1 2009-12-30 Net::DNS::Question(3)