Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Resource Capping Help!
Operating Systems Solaris Resource Capping Help! Post 302559741 by sbk1972 on Wednesday 28th of September 2011 04:23:28 AM
Old 09-28-2011
pooladm is the best way to go. I had this excercise when I had to enforce Oracle licensing. Only latest versions of solaris 10 will allow dedicated cpu parameters to be used within the zone.

Therefore I tend to use pooladm / set up dedicated processor pools, align the zone to use them. This means that when in the zone, if you do a `mpstat` you will see on the number of dedicated cpus. If you use the zonecfg configuration method, `mpstat` will show all cpus from the GZ.

pooladm -c / see /etc/pooladm.conf

SBK

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

resource manaement

Hi all I would like to know which other tools i can use besides top & sar to track the system resources i heard of somthing that sounds like acamdmin or acsadm... Thanks for your help (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yelalouf
1 Replies

2. Linux

Resource management

Hi all, we have a big problem, we are running an IA-64 linux system, with 8 CPUs and some GB of RAM, for user usage. The user are compiling and testing programs on this system, and this caused some problems. Sometimes, a user program used the hole memory, blocks the other users, and also... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: malcom
1 Replies

3. Solaris

resource worries

When I run the prstat -a command I get the following output for user oracle. NPROC USERNAME SIZE RSS MEMORY TIME CPU 118 oracle 70G 30G 100% 4:38:03 52% The reading under the "MEMORY" heading is 100%. What does this mean? I hope it doesn't mean user oracle is using... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: soliberus
2 Replies

4. Solaris

Solaris 10 : Memory Capping Query

Hi Folks, Im running solaris 10 8/07 and im trying to set up some memory capping within zones for the system project. ie. zone1# cat /etc/project system:0::::rcap.max-rss=41943040 user.root:1:::: noproject:2:::: default:3:::: group.staff:10:::: zone2# cat /etc/project... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: trevagreene
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Fork:resource unavailable

Hello. I have code which create processes with fork(). I set a limit for processes by typing ulimit -u 20. Then I run my code who should create 100 processes. Unfortunately, I have a mistake there and I forgot to quit all of my forked processes when fork gave me return value -1. So I am trapped in... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: samos
5 Replies

6. Solaris

Resource management (projadd)

Hi When I create a new project: For example: projadd -K "project.max-shm-memory=(priv,16GB,deny)" project_name I need to associate this project to a user in /etc/user_attr: User_name::::project=project_name Otherwise, id -p shows reveals that the user has project default. Is there... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: melanie_pfefer
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Capping output redirection log file length

I am trying to write a script which will output notifications to a logfile, but I would like to cap the logfile to, let's say, 200 lines. Specifically I am using custom firmware, DD-wrt, on my router and I am implementing a script to connect to my work vpn. I have a loop that pings a computer... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: joemommasfat
2 Replies

8. Solaris

Solaris 10 - capping CPU

Hi all I've purchased a T3-1 server. The T3-1 has a 16 core CPU. I want to create a zone to install an Oracle DB server in. Due to Oracle licensing issues I want to limit the zone to 8 cores. I've done some research and it seems there are 2 ways of setting a CPU core limit for a zone. 1. ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: soliberus
0 Replies

9. Solaris

Need to understand CPU capping in Zones

Hi All I am using below command to do zone capping #zonecfg -z zone1 zonecfg:zone1> zonecfg:zone1>add capped-cpu zonecfg:zone1>capped-cpu> set ncpus=2 zonecfg:zone1>capped-cpu> end zonecfg:zone1> commit zonecfg:zone1> exit It means that it can used two CPUs in zone1 then I run... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sb200
5 Replies

10. Solaris

Memory capping Solaris 11.3

I want to allocate RAM : 64GB (Dedicated allocation) Swap : 8GB Please assist and recommend the correct capping values capped-memory: physical: XXG Had allocated physical=64GB, Swap=8GB, and locaked 16GB and found my non-global zone were unable to use... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Shirishlnx
1 Replies
rcapadm(1M)						  System Administration Commands					       rcapadm(1M)

NAME
rcapadm - configure resource capping daemon SYNOPSIS
rcapadm rcapadm [ [-n] -E | -D] [-i interval=value,...,interval=value] [-c percent] [-z zonename -m maxvalue] DESCRIPTION
The rcapadm command allows a user with the privileges described below to configure various attributes of the resource capping daemon. If used without arguments, rcapadm displays the current status of the resource capping daemon if it has been configured. See rcapd(1M) for more information. In the current release of the Solaris operating environment, rcapadm is available to users with all privileges and to users who have the Process Management profile in their list of profiles. The System Administrator role includes the Process Management profile. OPTIONS
-c percent Set the minimum physical memory utilization for memory cap enforcement. Caps will not be enforced until the physical memory available to processes is low. The percent value should be in the range 0 to 100. The minimum (and default) value is 0, which means that memory caps are always enforced. -D Disable the resource capping daemon so that it will not be started when the system is booted. Also stop the resource capping daemon now, if the -n option is not specified and it is currently running. -E Enable the resource capping daemon so that it will be started each time the system is booted. Also start the resource capping daemon now, if the -n option is not specified and it is not currently running. -i interval=value,...,interval=value Set intervals for various periodic operations performed by rcapd. All intervals are specified in seconds. You can set the following intervals: scan The interval at which rcapd scans for new processes. The default scan interval is every 15 seconds. The minimum value is 1 second. sample The interval of process resident set size sampling. The default sample interval is every 5 seconds. The minimum value is 1 second. report The interval at which various paging statistics are updated by rcapd, in seconds. These statistics can be viewed by using rcapstat(1SRM). The default reporting interval is every 5 seconds. When the interval is set to 0, statistics will not be updated. Note - Paging refers to the act of relocating portions of memory, called pages, to or from physical memory. rcapd pages out the most infrequently used pages. config The reconfiguration interval, in seconds. At each reconfiguration event, rcapd checks its configuration file for updates, and scans the project databases for new project caps. The default reconfiguration interval is every 60 seconds. The minimum interval is 0. When the interval is set to 0, no periodic reconfiguration occurs, although the running daemon can still be reconfigured by sending it SIGHUP. -m maxvalue Used in conjunction with the -z option. Specifies a value for rcap.max-rss, a dynamically-set cap on the usage of physical memory for the zone specified by -z. You can apply a scale (K, M, G, T) to the value you specify. K means kilobyte; M, megabyte; G, gigabyte; and T, terabyte. For example, 100M is 100 megabytes. -n Do not affect the running state of the resource capping daemon when enabling or disabling it. -z zonename Used in conjunction with the -m option. Specifies the zone for which you are dynamically specifying a cap on physical memory usage (using -m). Note - To set a persistent cap on memory usage within a zone, use zonecfg(1M). EXAMPLES
Example 1 Configuring the Resource Capping Daemon with Immediate Enforcement # rcapadm -E -i scan=15,sample=5,report=5,config=60 -c 0 Example 2 Specifying a Resource Cap for a Zone The command shown below specifies the maximum amount of memory that can be consumed by a specified zone. Note that this value lasts only until the next reboot. To set a persistent cap, use zonecfg(1M). # rcapadm -z testzone -m 512M EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion. The modifications to the current configuration were valid and made successfully. 1 An error occurred. A fatal error occurred either in obtaining or modifying the resource capping configuration. 2 Invalid command-line options were specified. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWrcapu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ The -z and -m options are committed interfaces. SEE ALSO
rcapstat(1), rcapd(1M), zonecfg(1M), project(4), attributes(5), zones(5) "Physical Memory Control Using the Resource Capping Daemon" in System Administration Guide: Solaris Containers-Resource Management, and Solaris Zones SunOS 5.11 18 Dec 2006 rcapadm(1M)