Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Resource Capping Help!
Operating Systems Solaris Resource Capping Help! Post 302559741 by sbk1972 on Wednesday 28th of September 2011 04:23:28 AM
Old 09-28-2011
pooladm is the best way to go. I had this excercise when I had to enforce Oracle licensing. Only latest versions of solaris 10 will allow dedicated cpu parameters to be used within the zone.

Therefore I tend to use pooladm / set up dedicated processor pools, align the zone to use them. This means that when in the zone, if you do a `mpstat` you will see on the number of dedicated cpus. If you use the zonecfg configuration method, `mpstat` will show all cpus from the GZ.

pooladm -c / see /etc/pooladm.conf

SBK

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

resource manaement

Hi all I would like to know which other tools i can use besides top & sar to track the system resources i heard of somthing that sounds like acamdmin or acsadm... Thanks for your help (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yelalouf
1 Replies

2. Linux

Resource management

Hi all, we have a big problem, we are running an IA-64 linux system, with 8 CPUs and some GB of RAM, for user usage. The user are compiling and testing programs on this system, and this caused some problems. Sometimes, a user program used the hole memory, blocks the other users, and also... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: malcom
1 Replies

3. Solaris

resource worries

When I run the prstat -a command I get the following output for user oracle. NPROC USERNAME SIZE RSS MEMORY TIME CPU 118 oracle 70G 30G 100% 4:38:03 52% The reading under the "MEMORY" heading is 100%. What does this mean? I hope it doesn't mean user oracle is using... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: soliberus
2 Replies

4. Solaris

Solaris 10 : Memory Capping Query

Hi Folks, Im running solaris 10 8/07 and im trying to set up some memory capping within zones for the system project. ie. zone1# cat /etc/project system:0::::rcap.max-rss=41943040 user.root:1:::: noproject:2:::: default:3:::: group.staff:10:::: zone2# cat /etc/project... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: trevagreene
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Fork:resource unavailable

Hello. I have code which create processes with fork(). I set a limit for processes by typing ulimit -u 20. Then I run my code who should create 100 processes. Unfortunately, I have a mistake there and I forgot to quit all of my forked processes when fork gave me return value -1. So I am trapped in... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: samos
5 Replies

6. Solaris

Resource management (projadd)

Hi When I create a new project: For example: projadd -K "project.max-shm-memory=(priv,16GB,deny)" project_name I need to associate this project to a user in /etc/user_attr: User_name::::project=project_name Otherwise, id -p shows reveals that the user has project default. Is there... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: melanie_pfefer
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Capping output redirection log file length

I am trying to write a script which will output notifications to a logfile, but I would like to cap the logfile to, let's say, 200 lines. Specifically I am using custom firmware, DD-wrt, on my router and I am implementing a script to connect to my work vpn. I have a loop that pings a computer... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: joemommasfat
2 Replies

8. Solaris

Solaris 10 - capping CPU

Hi all I've purchased a T3-1 server. The T3-1 has a 16 core CPU. I want to create a zone to install an Oracle DB server in. Due to Oracle licensing issues I want to limit the zone to 8 cores. I've done some research and it seems there are 2 ways of setting a CPU core limit for a zone. 1. ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: soliberus
0 Replies

9. Solaris

Need to understand CPU capping in Zones

Hi All I am using below command to do zone capping #zonecfg -z zone1 zonecfg:zone1> zonecfg:zone1>add capped-cpu zonecfg:zone1>capped-cpu> set ncpus=2 zonecfg:zone1>capped-cpu> end zonecfg:zone1> commit zonecfg:zone1> exit It means that it can used two CPUs in zone1 then I run... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sb200
5 Replies

10. Solaris

Memory capping Solaris 11.3

I want to allocate RAM : 64GB (Dedicated allocation) Swap : 8GB Please assist and recommend the correct capping values capped-memory: physical: XXG Had allocated physical=64GB, Swap=8GB, and locaked 16GB and found my non-global zone were unable to use... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Shirishlnx
1 Replies
less(3pm)						 Perl Programmers Reference Guide						 less(3pm)

NAME
less - perl pragma to request less of something SYNOPSIS
use less 'CPU'; DESCRIPTION
This is a user-pragma. If you're very lucky some code you're using will know that you asked for less CPU usage or ram or fat or... we just can't know. Consult your documentation on everything you're currently using. For general suggestions, try requesting "CPU" or "memory". use less 'memory'; use less 'CPU'; use less 'fat'; If you ask for nothing in particular, you'll be asking for "less 'please'". use less 'please'; FOR MODULE AUTHORS
less has been in the core as a "joke" module for ages now and it hasn't had any real way to communicating any information to anything. Thanks to Nicholas Clark we have user pragmas (see perlpragma) and now "less" can do something. You can probably expect your users to be able to guess that they can request less CPU or memory or just "less" overall. If the user didn't specify anything, it's interpreted as having used the "please" tag. It's up to you to make this useful. # equivalent use less; use less 'please'; "BOOLEAN = less->of( FEATURE )" The class method "less->of( NAME )" returns a boolean to tell you whether your user requested less of something. if ( less->of( 'CPU' ) ) { ... } elsif ( less->of( 'memory' ) ) { } "FEATURES = less->of()" If you don't ask for any feature, you get the list of features that the user requested you to be nice to. This has the nice side effect that if you don't respect anything in particular then you can just ask for it and use it like a boolean. if ( less->of ) { ... } else { ... } CAVEATS
This probably does nothing. This works only on 5.10+ At least it's backwards compatible in not doing much. perl v5.18.2 2013-11-04 less(3pm)