Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Question on NULL and zero value of variable Post 302559730 by spynappels on Wednesday 28th of September 2011 03:56:45 AM
Old 09-28-2011
Are you suggesting I use the following?

Code:
if [ $intchk1 == 1 -a $Current_csm2 != 0 ] 
then

Can you give me a pointer why my code will not work? I don't mind changing code, but I'd prefer to understand why what I had to begin with did not work?

thanks.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

PERL: how to tell if variable is NULL

How to I do a check on a variable to see if it's null-- I am using Perl. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dangral
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

/dev/null 2>&1 question

Hi, suppose you have the following line at your crontab : 5 * * * * /usr/mine/script > /dev/null 2>&1 now i understood that the " > /dev/null 2>&1 outputs both Standard outpout and Standard Error messages to the /dev/null device or file... the first part , " > /dev/null " transfers... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: BAM
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to filter a null variable.

I have the necessity to use this command: cat file1 | grep $A | grep $B where sometime A and, or, B are not set. For example: I set A=@ never defined or set B The above command send a cat error. Any idea? Thanks. Giovanni (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gio123bg
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

check for NULL variable

Hello I want to check for NULL variable.. but this is not working..please help thanks in advance esham (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: esham
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

test Null variable

hi forum i beginning with script and i want test un null variable in a schell i just don t know the syntax here is a litle example y=test echo $y unset y echo $y (so here Y = Null) if Y=Null then echo "y is null" exit fi (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kykyboss
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to check null variable

korn shell If then update_smartcare_user_password "$u_id" else echo "Not a database user" fi i get this error Syntax error at line *** : `then' is not expected. what should i do. I want to check whether $a is null or not. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sachin.gangadha
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Newbie question: if[command not null]

hi, i have to put in my script a command that should tell me if the contents of two different paths are the same. I thought to write an "if" command who makes the diff of two files which contains the `ls` of the folders and go on with the script if is not null, but i'm afraid of the fact... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: zangarules
13 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Value of variable is NULL, but test doesn't seem to recognize

Hello, Unix-forums! My problem: read -p "Enter any number, please" number sleep 1 echo $number | tr -d 0-9 test -z $number && echo "Thank you" || echo "This is not a number"Test always displays "This is not a number". It doesn't matter if I entered a or 1. But if I order echo... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: intelinside
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

If condition to check null variable

Guys, Please help me on the below sample.cfg var=NULL sample.sh #!/bin/sh . /sample.cfg if ;then 1 st command here else 2 nd command here fi (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: AraR87
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

If grep value is null then assign 0 to variable

DELETE=`cat $logfile1 | egrep -i "Delete" | sed 's/ */ /g' | cut -d" " -f2` INSERT=`cat $logfile1 | egrep -i "Insert" | sed 's/ */ /g' | cut -d" " -f2` UPDATE=`cat $logfile1 | egrep -i "Update" | sed 's/ */ /g' | cut -d" " -f2` I need soming like below: if value is null... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Veera_V
8 Replies
PCP.CONF(5)							File Formats Manual						       PCP.CONF(5)

NAME
pcp.conf - the Performance Co-Pilot configuration and environment file SYNOPSIS
/etc/pcp.conf DESCRIPTION
When using Performance Co-Pilot (PCP) tools and utilities and when calling PCP library functions, a standard set of environment variables are defined in /etc/pcp.conf. These variables are generally used to specify the location of various PCP pieces in the file system and may be loaded into shell scripts by sourcing the /etc/pcp.env(5) shell script and queried by C/C++ programs using the pmGetConfig(3) library function. If a variable is already defined in the environment, the values in pcp.conf do not override those values, i.e. the values in pcp.conf serve as installation defaults only. Both the pcp.env and pcp.conf files are expected to be found in /etc by default. If required, the pcp.conf file may be relocated and PCP_CONF set in the environment to specify the full path to the new location. The pcp.env file can not be relocated (this is the only hard coded path required by PCP). The syntax rules for pcp.conf are as follows : 1. the general syntax is PCP_VARIABLE_NAME=variable value to end of line 2. lines that begin with # and all blank lines are ignored. 3. all variables must be prefixed with PCP_. This is a security issue - variables that do not have this prefix will be silently ignored. 4. there should be no space between the variable name and the literal = and no space between the = and the variable value (unless the value actually starts with a space). This is required because the pcp.conf file may be sourced directly by Makefiles as well as inter- preted by the pcp.env script and the pmGetConfig function. 5. variable values may contain spaces and should not be quoted. The pcp.env script automatically quotes all variable values from the character immediately following the = through to the end of the line. For further details and an explanation of the use of each variable, see the comments in the /etc/pcp.conf file itself. ENVIRONMENT
The PCP_CONF environment variable specifies an alternative path to the pcp.conf file. SEE ALSO
PCPIntro(1), PCPIntro(3), PMAPI(3), pmGetConfig(3) and pcp.env(5). Performance Co-Pilot PCP PCP.CONF(5)