Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: ln -s accept wildcards?
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users ln -s accept wildcards? Post 302559309 by jlliagre on Monday 26th of September 2011 05:18:50 PM
Old 09-26-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corona688
If this resolves to one dir, you get ln -s /usr/java/jrewhatever/lib/i386/libnpjp2.so. It complains that you didn't give it a second filename to link to.
Actually not. "ln -s" destination is an optional argument and defaults to the current directory if unspecified.
This User Gave Thanks to jlliagre For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Wildcards in VI

I'm trying to delete lines from a large text file using VI. Every line that I am wanting to delete start with 'S' - all others do not. (A list of users) I've tried using * but doesn't seem to like it...any ideas... Doesn't have to be VI - but I'm better with VI than sed/awk. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: peter.herlihy
8 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

wildcards

when writing a shell script (bourne) and using a unix command like 'ls' is there anything special you need to do to use a wildcard (like *)? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: benu302000
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ls with wildcards

ok, I'm trying to write a script file that lists files with specific elements in the name into a txt file, it looks like this ls s*.dat > file_names.txt can't figure out whats wrong with that line, any ideas? thanks in advance (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: benu302000
10 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

wildcards with if statement?

Hello i am trying to use the wildcards with the if statement but it is displaying the error like this one if * | ** | * ] Any body can help me to for using the wild card option in the if case but i have used this code and working well with the case statement to enter the name without the... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: murtaza
14 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

wildcards NOT

Hi All Please excuse another straightforward question. When creating a tar archive from a directory I am attempting to use wildcards to eliminate certain filetypes (otherwise the archive gets too large). So I am looking for something along these lines. tar -cf archive.tar * <minus all *.rst... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: C3000
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Wildcards

These 2 websites do a GREAT job of explaining different types of wildcards. I learned about the categories of characters which I never knew about at all. GNU/Linux Command-Line Tools Guide - Wildcards GREP (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cokedude
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

figuring out wildcards

I'm trying to delete everything between ( and ) in a line, ie: ( start xxxx, end xxx ). there is uppercase, lowercase and numbers in the parans. and are of varied length. I tried this: sed 's/()//' infile > outfileI'm not understanding the wildcard use in brackets (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dba_frog
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with rm command with wildcards

Hello everyone. My first time posting here. I have a question that may seem very insignificant to some but is one that I've been trying to address for the past several days (haven't had any luck looking online). I'm trying to clean a directory by removing old files that we no longer need.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: galileo1
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Wildcards and exceptions

Hello: I have a very basic question. I'd like to select all files except for one file. For example, say I want to move all of the files in my current directory to a subdirectory called archive, I would use mv ./* archive/ But what if I want to move all files except for README.txt? Is there an... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: Danny.Boy
19 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Renaming with wildcards

Hi, I'm new to Unix, but have a directory which has many files in it, well over 1000. The files are called : M07GO.STOPE0001 M07GO.STOPE0002 M07GO.STOPE0003 M07GO.STOPE0004 etc... I would like to rename them to the following : M070001.bin M070002.bin M070003.bin M070004.bin etc....... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rnmuk
4 Replies
DH_LINK(1)							     Debhelper								DH_LINK(1)

NAME
dh_link - create symlinks in package build directories SYNOPSIS
dh_link [debhelperoptions] [-A] [-Xitem] [sourcedestination...] DESCRIPTION
dh_link is a debhelper program that creates symlinks in package build directories. dh_link accepts a list of pairs of source and destination files. The source files are the already existing files that will be symlinked from (called target by ln(1)). The destination files are the symlinks that will be created (called link name by ln(1)). There must be an equal number of source and destination files specified. Be sure you do specify the absolute path to both the source and destination files (unlike you would do if you were using something like ln(1)). Please note that the leading slash is optional. dh_link will generate symlinks that comply with Debian policy - absolute when policy says they should be absolute, and relative links with as short a path as possible. It will also create any subdirectories it needs to put the symlinks in. Any pre-existing destination files will be replaced with symlinks. dh_link also scans the package build tree for existing symlinks which do not conform to Debian policy, and corrects them (v4 or later). FILES
debian/package.links Lists pairs of source and destination files to be symlinked. Each pair should be put on its own line, with the source and destination separated by whitespace. In each pair the source file (called target by ln(1)) comes first and is followed by the destination file (called link name by ln(1)). Thus the pairs of source and destination files in each line are give in the same order as they would be given to ln(1). In contrast to ln(1), source and destination paths must be absolute (the leading slash is optional). OPTIONS
-A, --all Create any links specified by command line parameters in ALL packages acted on, not just the first. -Xitem, --exclude=item Exclude symlinks that contain item anywhere in their filename from being corrected to comply with Debian policy. source destination ... Create a file named destination as a link to a file named source. Do this in the package build directory of the first package acted on. (Or in all packages if -A is specified.) EXAMPLES
dh_link usr/share/man/man1/foo.1 usr/share/man/man1/bar.1 Make bar.1 be a symlink to foo.1 dh_link var/lib/foo usr/lib/foo usr/share/man/man1/foo.1 usr/share/man/man1/bar.1 Make /usr/lib/foo/ be a link to /var/lib/foo/, and bar.1 be a symlink to the foo.1 var/lib/foo usr/lib/foo usr/share/man/man1/foo.1 usr/share/man/man1/bar.1 Same as above but as content for a debian/package.links file. SEE ALSO
debhelper(7) This program is a part of debhelper. AUTHOR
Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> 11.1.6ubuntu2 2018-05-10 DH_LINK(1)