Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Good free OS
Operating Systems Linux Fedora Good free OS Post 302559286 by Scrutinizer on Monday 26th of September 2011 03:52:47 PM
Old 09-26-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corona688
I've compiled entire distributions in amounts of memory that had Ubuntu's cd installer staggering and spitting OOM-killer messages. It should not take several hundred megs of RAM to sit there and copy files while you show a static image on the screen. Its memory requirements are ridiculous straight out of the gate.
That may be, but overall I don't think Ubuntu's memory usage can be called excessive. If there is a situation with limited memory, one may need to look for something more compact.

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Looking for good free Xserver cygwin X slow…

Hello all I was using cygwin X for years now , but now im trying to Open the new sunstudio 12 with it and its stack and slow , other folks Here at work that are using not free Xservers could open it easily. Is there some kind of free Xserver that I can use . (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: umen
0 Replies

2. Solaris

how to get the more memory free space (see memory free column)

Hi all, Could please let me know how to get the more memory free space (not added the RAM) in local zone. -bash-3.00# vmstat 2 5 kthr memory page disk faults cpu r b w swap free re mf pi po fr de sr s0 s1 s1 s1 in sy cs us sy... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: murthy76
3 Replies

3. Solaris

MountPoint / is 8% with 899.49MB free crossing threshold of 10% free

Hi, I have a problem one of the server file system cross the limitation MountPoint / is 8% with 899.49MB free crossing threshold of 10% free out put please help how to resolve this dev/vx/dsk/bootdg/rootvol 9.8G 8.8G 956M 91% / /devices ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sriniva0
3 Replies

4. What is on Your Mind?

Any good free file hosting websites out there?

Hello. I am trying to find a website where I will post a zip file containing a pdf file and the website can host it and people can download it. I just want to know any good websites for hosting these files. No surveys, free service, ease of use, no pop ups, no sign up and not a lot of advertising.... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: orszhak
6 Replies

5. What is on Your Mind?

What is good?

Hello everyone, I am using centos, 1) solaris is free right? 2) I want to learn solaris and install it in a computer that I am mounting, I would like know what is strong in solaris and if do it is wise. I am programmer python, learning machine and programming in general,..any help thanks,.. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gitac
6 Replies
unix2dos(1)						      General Commands Manual						       unix2dos(1)

NAME
unix2dos - UNIX to DOS text file format converter SYNOPSYS
unix2dos [options] [-c convmode] [-o file ...] [-n infile outfile ...] Options: [-hkqV] [--help] [--keepdate] [--quiet] [--version] DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents unix2dos, the program that converts text files in UNIX format to DOS format. OPTIONS
The following options are available: -h --help Print online help. -k --keepdate Keep the date stamp of output file same as input file. -q --quiet Quiet mode. Suppress all warning and messages. -V --version Prints version information. -c --convmode convmode Sets conversion mode. Simulates unix2dos under SunOS. -o --oldfile file ... Old file mode. Convert the file and write output to it. The program default to run in this mode. Wildcard names may be used. -n --newfile infile outfile ... New file mode. Convert the infile and write output to outfile. File names must be given in pairs and wildcard names should NOT be used or you WILL lost your files. EXAMPLES
Get input from stdin and write output to stdout. unix2dos Convert and replace a.txt. Convert and replace b.txt. unix2dos a.txt b.txt unix2dos -o a.txt b.txt Convert and replace a.txt in ASCII conversion mode. Convert and replace b.txt in ISO conversion mode. unix2dos a.txt -c iso b.txt unix2dos -c ascii a.txt -c iso b.txt Convert and replace a.txt while keeping original date stamp. unix2dos -k a.txt unix2dos -k -o a.txt Convert a.txt and write to e.txt. unix2dos -n a.txt e.txt Convert a.txt and write to e.txt, keep date stamp of e.txt same as a.txt. unix2dos -k -n a.txt e.txt Convert and replace a.txt. Convert b.txt and write to e.txt. unix2dos a.txt -n b.txt e.txt unix2dos -o a.txt -n b.txt e.txt Convert c.txt and write to e.txt. Convert and replace a.txt. Convert and replace b.txt. Convert d.txt and write to f.txt. unix2dos -n c.txt e.txt -o a.txt b.txt -n d.txt f.txt DIAGNOSTICS
BUGS
The program does not work properly under MSDOS in stdio processing mode. If you know why is that so, please tell me. AUTHOR
Benjamin Lin - ( blin@socs.uts.edu.au ) MISCELLANY
Tested environment: Linux 1.2.0 with GNU C 2.5.8 SunOS 4.1.3 with GNU C 2.6.3 MS-DOS 6.20 with Borland C++ 4.02 Suggestions and bug reports are welcome. SEE ALSO
dos2unix(1) 1995.03.31 unix2dos v2.2 unix2dos(1)