Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Korn shell to insert cyrillic characters into the databse Post 302559233 by Corona688 on Monday 26th of September 2011 01:26:06 PM
Old 09-26-2011
What is the file encoded in?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Cyrillic under X

RedHat 7.2, Gnome 1.4. tried "everything" but still can't figure out how to make cyrillic characters work normally. actually I don't care about anything other than Opera (6.01). I need it to display cyrillic normally. If anyone knows the solution plz help. TIA!!! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: D-Lexy
2 Replies

2. Programming

how to insert and delete characters in the middle of file

I have a problem that I want to insert and delete some chars in the middle of a file. fopen() and fdopen() just allow to append at the end. Is there any simple method or existing library that allow these actions? Thanks in advance.:confused: (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ivancheung
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help to escape special characters in Korn shell script

Hi, I would like to display the following message from my shell (Korn) script Copy "old_file.txt" to "new_file.txt" My code looks as follows print "Copy "old_file.txt" to "new_file.txt"" However, when I execute the script, I get the following output Copy old_file.txt to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rogers42
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to insert greek characters in to vi editor

Hi, I want to test a unix file by inserting greek characters in to vi editor. Can anyone please suggest how to insert greek characters in to vi editor. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DSDexter
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert space between characters using sed

Input: Youcaneasilydothisbyhighlightingyourcode. Putting space after three characters. You can eas ily dot his byh igh lig hti ngy our cod e. How can i do this using sed? (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: cola
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

insert spaces between characters with pure shell

A file contains: abcdef I need : a b c d e f It's easy with sed sed 's/./& /g'but this is embedded linux that doesn't have sed/awk. The shell is unknown but it's bashlike. Parameter expansion works and seems promising and. A question mark seems to work as a wildcard, but there doesn't seem... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: fubaya
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Korn shell program to parse CSV text file and insert values into Oracle database

Enclosed is comma separated text file. I need to write a korn shell program that will parse the text file and insert the values into Oracle database. I need to write the korn shell program on Red Hat Enterprise Linux server. Oracle database is 10g. (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: shellguy
15 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Korn Shell script to insert at specific line

Hi, I am trying to put together a Korn Shell script to insert at a specific line. The system we use is SunOS 5.10 I can get the line number by using:- num=`sed -n '/export ENV/=' ./tmp.file` Not getting much headway using the above variable's value to insert - export SYBASE=/opt/sybase15... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: aj8200
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

insert multiple characters in string

Hello, newb here :o How do I add square brackets before and after the first character in a string using sed? e.g. 0123456 123456 My attempts have been fruitless. sed 's/.\{0\}//' Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shadyuk
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cyrillic Hostnames?

As the title suggests, I'm wondering if its possible to set a hostname to a name or word with Cyrillic letters (e.g. - Like the Russian alphabet). I tried installing the cyrillic-console package in Debian. I switched my desktop to Russian as well. However, when I try to set the hostname I get that... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Azrael
2 Replies
UUENCODE(5)						      BSD File Formats Manual						       UUENCODE(5)

NAME
uuencode -- format of an encoded uuencode file DESCRIPTION
Files output by uuencode(1) consist of a header line, followed by a number of body lines, and a trailer line. The uudecode(1) command will ignore any lines preceding the header or following the trailer. Lines preceding a header must not, of course, look like a header. The header line starts with the word ``begin'', a space, a file mode (in octal), a space, and finally a string which names the file being encoded. The central engine of uuencode(1) is a six-bit encoding function which outputs an ASCII character. The six bits to be encoded are treated as a small integer and added with the ASCII value for the space character (octal 40). The result is a printable ASCII character. In the case where all six bits to be encoded are zero, the ASCII backquote character ` (octal 140) is emitted instead of what would normally be a space. The body of an encoded file consists of one or more lines, each of which may be a maximum of 86 characters long (including the trailing new- line). Each line represents an encoded chunk of data from the input file and begins with a byte count, followed by encoded bytes, followed by a newline. The byte count is a six-bit integer encoded with the above function, representing the number of bytes encoded in the rest of the line. The method used to encode the data expands its size by 133% (described below). Therefore it is important to note that the byte count describes the size of the chunk of data before it is encoded, not afterwards. The six bit size of this number effectively limits the number of bytes that can be encoded in each line to a maximum of 63. While uuencode(1) will not encode more than 45 bytes per line, uudecode(1) will toler- ate the maximum line size. The remaining characters in the line represent the data of the input file encoded as follows. Input data are broken into groups of three eight-bit bytes, which are then interpreted together as a 24-bit block. The first bit of the block is the highest order bit of the first character, and the last is the lowest order bit of the third character. This block is then broken into four six-bit integers which are encoded one by one starting from the first bit of the block. The result is a four character ASCII string for every three bytes of input data. Encoded lines of data continue in this manner until the input file is exhausted. The end of the body is signaled by an encoded line with a byte count of zero (the ASCII backquote character `). Obviously, not every input file will be a multiple of three bytes in size. In these cases, uuencode(1) will pad the remaining one or two bytes of data with garbage bytes until a three byte group is created. The byte count in a line containing garbage padding will reflect the actual number of bytes encoded, making it possible to convey how many bytes are garbage. The trailer line consists of ``end'' on a line by itself. SEE ALSO
mail(1), uucp(1), uudecode(1), uuencode(1), ascii(7) HISTORY
The uuencode file format appeared in 4.0BSD. BUGS
The interpretation of the uuencode format relies on properties of the ASCII character set and may not work correctly on non-ASCII systems. BSD
April 9, 1997 BSD