Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Closing open file descriptors from /proc/pid/fd Post 302559103 by alpha_romeo on Monday 26th of September 2011 08:10:48 AM
Old 09-26-2011
yazu,

what will happen if i attempt to do a 5>&- from /proc/pid/fd ??.. will the fd not be closed ?

regards
romeo

Last edited by rbatte1; 01-17-2017 at 07:55 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Cybersecurity

closing open ports

/* Linux Slackware */ Nmap shows the following ports open on the gateway. 21/tcp ftp 22/tcp ssh 23/tcp telnet 25/tcp smtp 37/tcp time 80/tcp http 113/tcp auth 515/tcp printer 587/tcp submission 1024/tcp kdm 6000/tcp x11 ------------------------------- i would like to close as... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: LowOrderBit
10 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Max No of Open File Descriptors in a process

I have set the maximum no of file descriptors open in a process to the value 8192 using the following lines set rlim_fd_max=8192 set rlim_fd_cur=8192 in the /etc/system file. I rebooted the machine and the command ulimit -n / -Hn both display the limits as 8192. However when I run my... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lakshmankumar12
2 Replies

3. Cybersecurity

Getting PID of Open Connectivity

Hi! I've a Java socket server program that is listening for requests, and using netstat, I can see that the connection is already open. However as the process name (from ps -ef) is very long and I can't grep the program name. Can anyone advise how I find out the PID of the process? Can... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: swing
5 Replies

4. Red Hat

read maps from /proc/pid/

hi, i hav a query abt reading the contents of /proc/pid/maps file.is there any system apis or functions available to get the data from dat file and parse according to my need. i need name of the .so,Create date of the .so file.,Location of .so file etc. please provide a good source. yes i hav... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanjaykhuntia
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash: closing file descriptors from a process

Below is a test script to illustrate a problem from a larger script I am writing. $ cat /tmp/loggingtest #!/bin/bash lvcreate -s -l 100%FREE -n var-data-snapshot vg00/var-data 2> >(logger -t "loggingtest.crit") 1> >(logger -t "loggingtest.info") sync & wait lvremove -f... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jelloir
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

closing unwanted open ports using scripts

i have a text file i.e file1.txt which shows open ports on particular system. i have another text file i.e file2.txt which shows a list of allowed ports on a system. for eg: file2.txt 22/tcp ssh 23/tcp telnet. can i have a script which would compare these text files ,file1 and file2 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: anand121
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

does the pid of background process show in /proc?

Hi all, I'm reading <advanced bash scripting> and there is a example to kill a background process in a limited time,as shown below: #! /bin/bash #set -n TIMEOUT=$1 count=0 hanging_jobs & { while ((count < TIMEOUT));do eval ' && ((count = TIMEOUT))' ((count++)) sleep 1... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: homeboy
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

/proc/pid/maps

I think the libc.so is shared between processes, because it is a shared library and OS is engaged for saving memory. But, below, the maps of bash, shows r-xp and r--p rw-p attributes to libc.so which mean private memory space. Can anybody explain this for me? :)cat /proc/$$/maps... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vistastar
4 Replies

9. Solaris

Open File Descriptors Current vs. Max

Hello all, I have been tasked with finding the current open file descriptors versus the limit set. In Linux, this can be done like so: cat /proc/sys/fs/file-nr 3391 969 52427 | | | | | | | | maximum open file descriptors | total free allocated... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: LinuxRacr
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Closing a graphical application by pid

Hi all, I have a small graphical application whose only purpose is to pop up certain types of messages. Currently, I'm using it in a Bash script like this: ./MyProg "this is my message" while do ... do things ... done What I want to do is after the while loop is over (it does... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zel2008
4 Replies
closefrom(3C)						   Standard C Library Functions 					     closefrom(3C)

NAME
closefrom, fdwalk - close or iterate over open file descriptors SYNOPSIS
#include <stdlib.h> void closefrom(int lowfd); int fdwalk(int (*func)(void *, int), void *cd); DESCRIPTION
The closefrom() function calls close(2) on all open file descriptors greater than or equal to lowfd. The effect of closefrom(lowfd) is the same as the code #include <sys/resource.h> struct rlimit rl; int i; getrlimit(RLIMIT_NOFILE, &rl); for (i = lowfd; i < rl.rlim_max; i++) (void) close(i); except that close() is called only on file descriptors that are actually open, not on every possible file descriptor greater than or equal to lowfd, and close() is also called on any open file descriptors greater than or equal to rl.rlim_max (and lowfd), should any exist. The fdwalk() function first makes a list of all currently open file descriptors. Then for each file descriptor in the list, it calls the user-defined function, func(cd, fd), passing it the pointer to the callback data, cd, and the value of the file descriptor from the list, fd. The list is processed in file descriptor value order, lowest numeric value first. If func() returns a non-zero value, the iteration over the list is terminated and fdwalk() returns the non-zero value returned by func(). Otherwise, fdwalk() returns 0 after having called func() for every file descriptor in the list. The fdwalk() function can be used for fine-grained control over the closing of file descriptors. For example, the closefrom() function can be implemented as: static int close_func(void *lowfdp, int fd) { if (fd >= *(int *)lowfdp) (void) close(fd); return(0); } void closefrom(int lowfd) { (void) fdwalk(close_func, &lowfd); } The fdwalk() function can then be used to count the number of open files in the process. RETURN VALUES
No return value is defined for closefrom(). If close() fails for any of the open file descriptors, the error is ignored and the file descriptors whose close() operation failed might remain open on return from closefrom(). The fdwalk() function returns the return value of the last call to the callback function func(), or 0 if func() is never called (no open files). ERRORS
No errors are defined. The closefrom() and fdwalk() functions do not set errno but errno can be set by close() or by another function called by the callback function, func(). FILES
/proc/self/fd directory (list of open files) USAGE
The act of closing all open file descriptors should be performed only as the first action of a daemon process. Closing file descriptors that are in use elsewhere in the current process normally leads to disastrous results. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |Unsafe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
close(2), getrlimit(2), proc(4), attributes(5) SunOS 5.11 27 Apr 2000 closefrom(3C)