Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting bash script argument not outputing line -NULL Post 302559055 by pludi on Monday 26th of September 2011 06:59:16 AM
Old 09-26-2011
Yes. The shell splits the command line based on whitespace characters (space, tab, ...), and thus treats all tokens ("words") as separate arguments. When using quotes (either double or single), that special meaning is removed, and the whitespaces are used as part of the argument.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

not null cheking of an argument in perl

Hi, I have to check whether an argument say $ARGV is not null in an if operator. Please let me know the operator. It would be great if you write a psuedo code. Thanks in advance Ammu (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ammu
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

pipe output to script as command line argument

i want to redirect output of one command as the command line argument of another script for example, say i would run this command: find . -xdev -type f -size +4096 -exec ls -al {} \; i wan to be able to do something like: echo +4096 | find . -xdev -type f -size ****** -exec... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: IMTheNachoMan
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Bash script argument problem

I'm having problems with bash scripts. If a bash script is called with no arguments, I always get "PHIST=!" as the first argument (i.e. this is what $1 equals). Why? Where does this come from, and how can I fix it? Nothing in the bash man pages refer to this mysterious default argument. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sszd
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing value as a command line argument in awk script.

I have one working awk command line. Which taking data from the “J1202523.TXT” file and generating the “brazil.dat” file. PFB code. awk '{ DUNS = substr($0,0,9);if ( substr($0,14,3) == "089" ) print DUNS }' J1202523.TXT > Brazil.dat But now I want to pass two parameter as a command line argument... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: humaemo
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script outputing out numbers when it shouldn't

i suspect the issue is with the IFS part. I have a script that reads a file. the problem here is that, when i run the script, it outputs a bunch of numbers. i know what these numbers are, but i dont understand why they're being sent to the screen. as you can see below, everything should be... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

checking first argument for tag in bash script

I have a bash script where I pass an argument ./chris.bash "\argv Test" I want to detect if the user supplied \argv at the start of the argument (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to pass command line argument in shell script?

I need to write a shell script, when I run that script I should pass those arguments if not, then script should not run and pass the error message like invalid option - - should pass the argument. and Exit from the script https://www.unix.com/images/misc/progress.gif (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Nsharma3006
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to pass command line argument in shell script?

I need to write a shell script, when I run that script I should pass those arguments if not, then script should not run and pass the error message like invalid option - - should pass the argument. and Exit from the script (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nsharma3006
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Turn null value into 0 with a Bash Script

Hi, I'm trying to make a bash script that if a null value is returned then to output the value 0. I would like a script to search the 'top' tree and return the CPU value of a process, however if the process is not running for it to return 0 or another identifier. top -b -n1 | awk '/... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Goomie
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Bash argument not expanding in script

I pass an argument to bash as run. The first command in green executes as expected, however the second in blue fails as the $run does not expand. I tried to escape the variable with \ thinking the quotes were making the literal translation and also "${run}" but both did not work to expand the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
3 Replies
GETFLAGS(8)						      System Manager's Manual						       GETFLAGS(8)

NAME
getflags, usage - command-line parsing for shell scripts SYNOPSIS
getflags $* usage [ progname ] DESCRIPTION
Getflags parses the options in its command-line arguments according to the environment variable $flagfmt. This variable should be a list of comma-separated options. Each option can be a single letter, indicating that it does not take arguments, or a letter followed by the space-separated names of its arguments. Getflags prints an rc(1) script on standard output which initializes the environment variable $flagx for every option mentioned in $flagfmt. If the option is not present on the command-line, the script sets that option's flag vari- able to an empty list. Otherwise, the script sets that option's flag variable with a list containing the option's arguments or, if the option takes no arguments, with the string 1. The script also sets the variable $* to the list of arguments following the options. The final line in the script sets the $status variable, to the empty string on success and to the string usage when there is an error parsing the command line. Usage prints a usage message to standard error. It creates the message using $flagfmt, as described above, $args, which should contain the string to be printed explaining non-option arguments, and $0, the program name (see rc(1)). If run under sh(1), which does not set $0, the program name must be given explicitly on the command line. EXAMPLE
Parse the arguments for leak(1): flagfmt='b,s,f binary,r res,x width' args='name | pid list' if(! ifs=() eval `{getflags $*} || ~ $#* 0){ usage exit usage } SOURCE
/src/cmd/getflags.c /src/cmd/usage.c SEE ALSO
arg(3) GETFLAGS(8)