Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Good free OS
Operating Systems Linux Fedora Good free OS Post 302558687 by Scrutinizer on Sunday 25th of September 2011 02:02:03 AM
Old 09-25-2011
About Ubuntu: bash is the default interactive shell. dash was chosen as the default system shell (/bin/sh) mainly because it is significantly faster than bash and so Ubuntu starts up signifcantly faster. https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DashAsBinSh

Also, the memory requirements really are a lot lower than Windows: Ubuntu vs. Windows memory, and a backup solution | Developer World - InfoWorld
The OP likes to write scripts that should run on multiples platforms, so than it is good to have POSIX-only compliant dash around for testing, since scripts that work in dash, will likely work in other POSIX compliant shells too..

So I'd say Ubuntu may be a good choice.

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Looking for good free Xserver cygwin X slow…

Hello all I was using cygwin X for years now , but now im trying to Open the new sunstudio 12 with it and its stack and slow , other folks Here at work that are using not free Xservers could open it easily. Is there some kind of free Xserver that I can use . (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: umen
0 Replies

2. Solaris

how to get the more memory free space (see memory free column)

Hi all, Could please let me know how to get the more memory free space (not added the RAM) in local zone. -bash-3.00# vmstat 2 5 kthr memory page disk faults cpu r b w swap free re mf pi po fr de sr s0 s1 s1 s1 in sy cs us sy... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: murthy76
3 Replies

3. Solaris

MountPoint / is 8% with 899.49MB free crossing threshold of 10% free

Hi, I have a problem one of the server file system cross the limitation MountPoint / is 8% with 899.49MB free crossing threshold of 10% free out put please help how to resolve this dev/vx/dsk/bootdg/rootvol 9.8G 8.8G 956M 91% / /devices ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sriniva0
3 Replies

4. What is on Your Mind?

Any good free file hosting websites out there?

Hello. I am trying to find a website where I will post a zip file containing a pdf file and the website can host it and people can download it. I just want to know any good websites for hosting these files. No surveys, free service, ease of use, no pop ups, no sign up and not a lot of advertising.... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: orszhak
6 Replies

5. What is on Your Mind?

What is good?

Hello everyone, I am using centos, 1) solaris is free right? 2) I want to learn solaris and install it in a computer that I am mounting, I would like know what is strong in solaris and if do it is wise. I am programmer python, learning machine and programming in general,..any help thanks,.. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gitac
6 Replies
MESG(1) 							   User Commands							   MESG(1)

NAME
mesg - display (or do not display) messages from other users SYNOPSIS
mesg [option] [n|y] DESCRIPTION
The mesg utility is invoked by a user to control write access others have to the terminal device associated with standard error output. If write access is allowed, then programs such as talk(1) and write(1) may display messages on the terminal. Traditionally, write access is allowed by default. However, as users become more conscious of various security risks, there is a trend to remove write access by default, at least for the primary login shell. To make sure your ttys are set the way you want them to be set, mesg should be executed in your login scripts. ARGUMENTS
n Disallow messages. y Allow messages to be displayed. If no arguments are given, mesg shows the current message status on standard error output. OPTIONS
-v, --verbose Explain what is being done. -V, --version Display version information and exit. -h, --help Display help text and exit. EXIT STATUS
The mesg utility exits with one of the following values: 0 Messages are allowed. 1 Messages are not allowed. >1 An error has occurred. FILES
/dev/[pt]ty[pq]? SEE ALSO
login(1), talk(1), write(1), wall(1), xterm(1) HISTORY
A mesg command appeared in Version 6 AT&T UNIX. AVAILABILITY
The mesg command is part of the util-linux package and is available from https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/. util-linux July 2014 MESG(1)