Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Fedora The user 'sync' and 'shutdown' Post 302558669 by vistastar on Saturday 24th of September 2011 09:55:58 PM
Old 09-24-2011
Is this a privilege control method that let some non-root users can shutdown the system using the 'shutdonw' user's password?

On my fedora15 any non-root user can shutdown the system, why? the shutdown command is a soft link to consolehelper command. Also, there is a /sbin/shutdown.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

TODO: Sync User Tables Between Databases

Need to eventually sync the MY.UNIX userdata to the forums database (and others). Suggestions on the best approach welcome. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Workstations are not sync

What's the idea of Unsyncron SUN WS's ? one of our client had a problem & my supervisor told me that this causes of unsynchron WS's i mean maybe the setting of one is not compatible with other ..... Any Suggestion would be helpful Rgrds, nikk (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nikk
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

sync and preserve user login

I am neither advanced nor expert. I have synced two linux machines, from Debian to Fedora. I brought whole "home" directory. Which directory or files should bring to Fedora in order to have same user login and password? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumarrana
2 Replies

4. Solaris

Sync to Green vs. Separate Sync

Hi all....I have a Sun Ultra2 that I want to use with my PC monitor. I have purchased an adapter that does not work and I was told I need to change my video card setting (if I can) to Separate Sync.....my Monitor product number ends in 1343......I am running SunOS 5.7 ......anyone have any ideas? ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: psantinello
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script to force Oracle database shutdown when shutdown immediate does not work

I have Oracle 9i R2 on AIX 5.2. My Database is running in shared server mode (MTS). Sometimes when I shutdown the database it shutsdown cleanly in 4-5 mints and sometimes it takes good 15-20 minutes and then I get some ora-600 errors and only way to shutdown is by opening another session and... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: aixhp
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with sync

Folks; I have 2 SUSE DNS servers, one will be the master and one will be the slave. we normally update the master when adding any new servers to the DNS list. I'm looking for a way to sync both servers every night, so the slave is updated nightly. I thought of using "rsync" with cron to sync... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Katkota
1 Replies

7. Red Hat

User Account Sync

Hi All, I want to know is there any way where if i add a user in a centos machine the can be replicated to another centos automatically. As i have setup DRBD with heartbeat for apache webserver everything is working fine but the only thing im stuck in is about system account for ftp. Can any... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: search4u2003
3 Replies

8. Red Hat

User shutdown detected - cssd(16694)CRS-1603:CSSD.

User shutdown detected - cssd(16694)CRS-1603:CSSD. Can you help me with this error in redhat linux server (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: karthik9358
1 Replies

9. Red Hat

How to know which user has restarted or shutdown the redhat box?

hi guys! I like to know which user has rebooted or shutdown a redhat box ? the thing is wanted to know the exact user name who has done this action, ofcourse an admin privileged user only can do this. from a list of admin privileged user to find the exact one. i used to go with last... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: redhatlbug
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to shutdown Linux box with user confirmation?

Hi Guru's Am looking for linux reboot command which get executed after user confirmation .Can someone please help me with this.:confused::confused::confused: (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kapil514
6 Replies
halt(1M)						  System Administration Commands						  halt(1M)

NAME
halt, poweroff - stop the processor SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/halt [-dlnqy] /usr/sbin/poweroff [-dlnqy] DESCRIPTION
The halt and poweroff utilities write any pending information to the disks and then stop the processor. The poweroff utility has the machine remove power, if possible. The halt and poweroff utilities normally log the system shutdown to the system log daemon, syslogd(1M), and place a shutdown record in the login accounting file /var/adm/wtmpx. These actions are inhibited if the -n or -q options are present. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -d Force a system crash dump before rebooting. See dumpadm(1M) for information on configuring system crash dumps. -l Suppress sending a message to the system log daemon, syslogd(1M), about who executed halt. -n Prevent the sync(1M) before stopping. -q Quick halt. No graceful shutdown is attempted. -y Halt the system, even from a dialup terminal. FILES
/var/adm/wtmpx History of user access and administration information. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
dumpadm(1M), init(1M), reboot(1M), shutdown(1M), sync(1M), syslogd(1M), inittab(4), attributes(5), smf(5) NOTES
The halt and poweroff utilities do not cleanly shutdown smf(5) services. Execute the scripts in /etc/rcnum.d or execute shutdown actions in inittab(4). To ensure a complete shutdown of system services, use shutdown(1M) or init(1M) to reboot a Solaris system. SunOS 5.10 2 Nov 2004 halt(1M)