Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Removing a line IF the next line contains string Post 302557943 by eh3civic on Thursday 22nd of September 2011 11:39:09 AM
Old 09-22-2011
That is solid gold, good sir. And thanks for editing to add in those extra explanations!

Thanks!

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

removing line and duplicate line

Hi, I have 3 lines in a text file that is similar to this (as a result of a diff between 2 files): 35,36d34 < DATA.EVENT.EVENT_ID.s = "3661208" < DATA.EVENT.EVENT_ID.s = "3661208" I am trying to get it down to just this: DATA.EVENT.EVENT_ID.s = "3661208" How can I do this?... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: ocelot
11 Replies

2. Solaris

Line too long error Replace string with new line line character

I get a file which has all its content in a single row. The file contains xml data containing 3000 records, but all in a single row, making it difficult for Unix to Process the file. I decided to insert a new line character at all occurrences of a particular string in this file (say replacing... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ducati
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

search a string in a particular column of file and return the line number of the line

Hi All, Can you please guide me to search a string in a particular column of file and return the line number of the line where it was found using awk. As an example : abc.txt 7000,john,2,1,0,1,6 7001,elen,2,2,0,1,7 7002,sami,2,3,0,1,6 7003,mike,1,4,0,2,1 8001,nike,1,5,0,1,8... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunshankar.c
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing string between two particular strings in a line

Hi, I have a file with following format: 1|What is you name (full name)?|Character 2|How far is your school ?|Numeric Now I need to remove everything inside brackets () or . There can be more than one pair of brackets. The output file should look like: 1|What is you name?|Character... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ppatra
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing command line arguments from string list

I am passing a list of strings $list and want to remove all entries with --shift=number, --sort=number/number/..., --group=number/number/... Also are removed whether upper or lower case letters are used For example the following will all be deleted from the list --shift=12 --shift=2324... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting double quoted string from a line when line number is variable

I need to remove double quoted strings from specific lines in a file. The specific line numbers are a variable. For example, line 5 of the file contains A B C "string" I want to remove "string". The following sed command works: sed '5 s/\"*\"//' $file If there are multiple... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rennatsb
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Matching some string in a line and removing that

I have one output file. Node: hstg1so Date: 2013/07/16 17:51:24 GMT Totals: 10608 6871 0 2208 1529 0 0 64% 0% ( 0 ) Node: hstg2so Date: 2013/07/16 17:51:25 GMT Totals: ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raza Ali
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to find a string in a line in UNIX file and delete that line and previous 3 lines ?

Hi , i have a file with data as below.This is same file. But actual file contains to many rows. i want to search for a string "Field 039 00" and delete that line and previous 3 lines in that file.. Can some body suggested me how can i do using either sed or awk command ? Field 004... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vadlamudy
7 Replies

9. Red Hat

How to add a new string at the end of line by searching a string on the same line?

Hi, I have a file which is an extract of jil codes of all autosys jobs in our server. Sample jil code: ************************** permission:gx,wx date_conditions:yes days_of_week:all start_times:"05:00" condition: notrunning(appDev#box#ProductLoad)... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: raghavendra
1 Replies
sccs-sact(1)							   User Commands						      sccs-sact(1)

NAME
sccs-sact, sact - show editing activity status of an SCCS file SYNOPSIS
/usr/ccs/bin/sact s.filename... DESCRIPTION
The sact utility informs the user of any SCCS files that are checked out for editing. The output for each named file consists of five fields separated by SPACE characters. o SID of a delta that currently exists in the SCCS file, to which changes will be made to make the new delta o SID for the new delta to be created o Username of the person who has the file checked out for editing. o Date that the version was checked out. o Time that the version was checked out. If a directory name is used in place of the s.filename argument, the sact command applies to all s.files in that directory. Unreadable s.files produce an error; processing continues with the next file (if any). The use of `-' as the s.filename argument indicates that the names of files are to be read from the standard input, one s.file per line. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of sact: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, LC_MES- SAGES, and NLSPATH. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWsprot | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
sccs(1), sccs-delta(1), sccs-get(1), sccs-help(1), sccs-prs(1), sccs-prt(1), what(1), sccsfile(4), attributes(5), environ(5), standards(5) DIAGNOSTICS
Use the SCCS help command for explanations (see sccs-help(1)). SunOS 5.10 1 Nov 1999 sccs-sact(1)