Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users ldapsearch in monitoring script without bind password written in script Post 302557855 by slashdotweenie on Thursday 22nd of September 2011 08:53:35 AM
Old 09-22-2011
ldapsearch in monitoring script without bind password written in script

Hi

I do a very simple monitoring of our OpenLDAP (runs in cronjob and generate alerts if unsuccessfull)

Code:
$ ldapsearch -h hostname.domain -D "cn=monitor_user,ou=People,dc=organisation" -w "password" -b "dc=organisation" -x "(&(cn=monitor_user)(ou=People))" dn | grep -v version

dn: cn=monitor_user,ou=People,dc=organisation

My problem is that the password is written in clear text in script (see -w "password"). Howto do without writing password in UNIX script?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Simple shell script to be written

There are 2 shell script files sh1 and sh2. sh2 contains records such as 01 02 03 on different lines. In sh1, I would like to read each record of sh2 till end of file, concatenate them with a comma(,) and store in a variable. Can somebody please help me with the sh1 script? Thanks in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shsandeep
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple shell script to be written

There are 2 shell script files sh1 and sh2. sh2 contains records such as 01 02 03 on different lines. In sh1, I would like to read each record of sh2 till end of file, concatenate them with a comma(,) and store in a variable. Can somebody please help me with the sh1 script? Thanks in... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: shsandeep
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

what's the largest shell script you've ever written?

I've just written a test harness using ksh. One of scripts weighed in at 1206 lines. I came across Eric Raymonds 'Art of Unix programming' on line and he advises against excessively large scripts. I am very interested to hear people's opinions on this and any experiences they have had. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: OFFSIHR
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

can a korn shell script be written on HP-UNIX?

Is HP UNIX and Korn different flavours of unix? can a korn shell script be written on HP Unix? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: soujanya_srk
4 Replies

5. IP Networking

Help Needed regarding Ldapsearch script

Hi guys, I very appreciate for answering to my previous query. I have encountered another problem.I have a perl script to display required networking information like DNS,gateway,etc. to be changed in a remote computer which is to be added to a computing cluster. I need a script which... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pranav.mehta3
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Apply Password to already Written XLS File.

I need to apply password protection to a xls file.I had looked at SpreadSheet::WriteExcel but problem being i dont want to write the contents of file again as the formatting the file would be a pain. Is there way in which i write a entire file in one go , something like this ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dinjo_jo
0 Replies

7. Red Hat

ldapsearch bash script help

Hi there everyone. I'm trying to make a bash script that accepts some arguments ans give's back some info about LDAP users and servers. I have this function : has_group_access(){ result=$(ldapsearch -LLL "cn=${GROUP_NAME}" cn member | cut -d"," -f1 | cut -d":" -f2 | cut -d"=" -f2 | grep... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: theboogymaster
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

useless line feeds in ldapsearch output. Howto remove with shell script?

Hi $ cat ad.sh ldapsearorg -x -LLL -h sb1131z.testbadbigcorp.org -D "CN=ADMINZZ,OU=AdminRoles,DC=testbadbigcorp,DC=org" -w "UT3w4f57lll--4...4" -b "OU=Test,DC=testbadbigcorp,DC=org" "(&(&(&(&(objectCategory=person)(objectClass=user)(lockoutTime:1.2.840.113556.1.4.804:=4294967295)))))" dn$... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: slashdotweenie
3 Replies

9. Programming

How could I interact with shell script from webportal written in php?

Hello, I am new on PHP scripting .I have shell scripts which I an running currently from linux server but now I want to make a web portal from where I will run all my scripts but the problem is all my scripts ask for parameters so I am getting confused how could I run my shell script from web... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anuragpgtgerman
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH- Hold script until all contents of a file is written

I have to hit a very large database to pull fields of information. I have a script that runs multiple instance of the same query against the data base and writes contents to a file. The script terminates before the file is completely written to confirmed by ps -ef | grep <script name>... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: popeye
3 Replies
LDAPPASSWD(1)						      General Commands Manual						     LDAPPASSWD(1)

NAME
ldappasswd - change the password of an LDAP entry SYNOPSIS
ldappasswd [-A] [-a oldPasswd] [-D binddn] [-d debuglevel] [-H ldapuri] [-h ldaphost] [-n] [-p ldapport] [-S] [-s newPasswd] [-v] [-W] [-w passwd] [-O security-properties] [-I] [-Q] [-U authcid] [-x] [-X authzid] [-Y mech] [-Z[Z]] [user] DESCRIPTION
ldappasswd is a tool to set the password of an LDAP user. ldappasswd uses the LDAPv3 Password Modify (RFC 3062) extended operation. ldappasswd sets the password of associated with the user [or an optionally specified user]. If the new password is not specified on the command line and the user doesn't enable prompting, the server will be asked to generate a password for the user. ldappasswd is neither designed nor intended to be a replacement for passwd(1) and should not be installed as such. OPTIONS
-A Prompt for old password. This is used instead of specifying the password on the command line. -a oldPasswd Set the old password to oldPasswd. -x Use simple authentication instead of SASL. -D binddn Use the Distinguished Name binddn to bind to the LDAP directory. -d debuglevel Set the LDAP debugging level to debuglevel. ldappasswd must be compiled with LDAP_DEBUG defined for this option to have any effect. -H ldapuri Specify URI(s) referring to the ldap server(s). -h ldaphost Specify an alternate host on which the ldap server is running. Deprecated in favor of -H. -p ldapport Specify an alternate TCP port where the ldap server is listening. Deprecated in favor of -H. -n Do not set password. (Can be useful when used in conjunction with -v or -d) -S Prompt for new password. This is used instead of specifying the password on the command line. -s newPasswd Set the new password to newPasswd. -v Increase the verbosity of output. Can be specified multiple times. -W Prompt for bind password. This is used instead of specifying the password on the command line. -w passwd Use passwd as the password to bind with. -O security-properties Specify SASL security properties. -I Enable SASL Interactive mode. Always prompt. Default is to prompt only as needed. -Q Enable SASL Quiet mode. Never prompt. -U authcid Specify the authentication ID for SASL bind. The form of the ID depends on the actual SASL mechanism used. -X authzid Specify the requested authorization ID for SASL bind. authzid must be one of the following formats: dn:<distinguishedname> or u:<username>. -Y mech Specify the SASL mechanism to be used for authentication. If it's not specified, the program will choose the best mechanism the server knows. -Z[Z] Issue StartTLS (Transport Layer Security) extended operation. If you use -ZZ, the command will require the operation to be success- ful SEE ALSO
ldap_sasl_bind(3) ldap_extended_operation(3) ldap_start_tls_s(3) AUTHOR
The OpenLDAP Project <http://www.openldap.org/> ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS
OpenLDAP is developed and maintained by The OpenLDAP Project (http://www.openldap.org/). OpenLDAP is derived from University of Michigan LDAP 3.3 Release. OpenLDAP 2.0.27-Release 20 August 2001 LDAPPASSWD(1)