Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Difficult problem: Complex text file manipulation in bash script. Post 302557665 by tinman47 on Wednesday 21st of September 2011 10:23:11 PM
Old 09-21-2011
So. Any ideas? Is what I'm trying to do possible?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash file manipulation help

Hello, I'm writing a bash script and I have a question. Here's what I'm doing: I have a file called inv.dat which contains the following: B102:Action Figure - Teacher:79 B103:Bike - Purple:23 B104:Baseball:25 B105:Cricket Bat:15 B101:Action Figure - Fireman:15 B100:Flame-Thrower:25 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: netmaster
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script text file manipulation.

Hello, I have mysql binary file which logs all the database queries and i to insert all queries log in to database. First i coverted binary file to text file. and start playing with it. Text file contains following queries, some samples are, SET INSERT_ID=1; INSERT INTO test... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mirfan
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK manipulation in bash script

EDIT: This has been SOLVED. Thanks! Greetings everyone, I've posted a few threads with some quick help questions, and this is another one of those. I can't post enough gratitude for those much more knowledgeable than myself who are willing to give good advice for my minor issues. Now,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Eblue562
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Please help. Complicated text file manipulation problem

Let me try my best to give you a picture of what I'm trying to do. Once again I'm sorry for the essay thats coming up. I programmed a rather large library of script functions to deal with input, displaying ANSI block graphics, playing sounds, and refining the terminal and so on. I also designed... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: tinman47
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Been working since 25+ hrs: Bash Script to rename files supposedly direct but difficult to execute

:wall::wall::wall: Hi I have horrible script below, need help in renaming ls -l output into new filename format: Desired output: cp -pv original_path/.* newDirectory/owner_of_file.%dd%mm%y.file_extension.first_8_characters_of_original_filename localuser@localuser:~ vi... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wolf@=NK
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash - file manipulation

I need to change a file like this: John Smith;http://www.profile1.com John Smith;http://www.profile2.com Frank Olsen;http://www.profile3.com Frank Olsen;http://www.profile4.com Into: John Smith;http://www.profile1.com;http://www.profile2.com Frank... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: locoroco
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Complex text parsing with speed/performance problem (awk solution?)

I have 1.6 GB (and growing) of files with needed data between the 11th and 34th line (inclusive) of the second column of comma delimited files. There is also a lot of stray white space in the file that needs to be trimmed. They have DOS-like end of lines. I need to transpose the 11th through... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: Michael Stora
13 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script to replace text file from a lookup file

Hi. I need assistance with the replacing of text into a specific file via a bash script. My bash script, once run, currently provides a menu of computer names to choose.The script copies onto my system various files, depending what computer was selected in the menu.This is working OK. Now, I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jonesn2000
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Text manipulation with sed/awk in a bash script

Guys, I have a variable in a script that I want to transform to into something else Im hoping you guys can help. It doesn't have to use sed/awk but I figured these would be the simplest. DATE=20160120 I'd like to transform $DATE into "01-20-16" and move it into a new variable called... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: dendenyc
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Complex Bash Script

I have an FTP server with thousands of Invoices. All Invoices are in a folder called /volume1/MBSInvoices/ Monthly invoices are added to that folder every month. Here is a sample filename of the Invoices: invoice_1_20170101_10010052_10020052_10030052_JOHNDOE.pdf the Account ID is the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: badr777
6 Replies
GPW(1)							      General Commands Manual							    GPW(1)

NAME
gpw - program to generate pronounceable passwords SYNOPSIS
gpw [number_of_passwords [length_of_passwords]] DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents briefly the gpw command. This manual page was written for the Debian GNU/Linux distribution because the origi- nal program does not have a manual page. Gpw is a program that generate pronounceable passwords of whatever length is desidered. It uses the statistics of three-letter combinations (trigraphs) of the english system dictionary. It is based on the ideas in Morrie Gasser's password generator for Multics, and Dan Edwards's generator for CTSS. FIPS Standard 181 describes a similar digraph-based generator, derived from Gasser's. OPTIONS
This program accepts two optional numbers as command-line arguments. The first value is the number of password to generate, the second one is the length of the passwords required, up to 99. Defaults are 10 and 8 respectively. NOTE
Password length should be choosen consistently with the encryption standard used. So, a value of eight is useful with DES encryption, and a longer value should be used with MD5 encryption. SEE ALSO
passwd(1),pwgen(1). AUTHOR
This program has been written by Tom Van Vleck <thvv@multicians.org> in 1994. CREDITS
Based on the ideas in Morrie Gasser's password generator for Multics, and Dan Edwards's generator for CTSS. FIPS Standard 181 describes a similar digraph-based generator, derived from Gasser's. This manual page was written by Francesco P. Lovergine <frankie@debian.org>, for the Debian GNU/Linux system (but may be used by others), who also modified and packaged sources to port it under GNU/Linux. Aug 24, 2001 GPW(1)