Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Extracting text between two constant strings Post 302557655 by shoaibjameel123 on Wednesday 21st of September 2011 09:26:17 PM
Old 09-21-2011
Hi,

I've been trying with this script and tried to modify it but it is not working in my new instance. I want to do the same thing but I want to extract until the newline is encountered. This means I read the text after .W and keep extracting the text until a newline is encountered not .A this time.

I've tried with this but not working:

Code:
awk -v start=.W -v finish='\n' '                                               
$0 ~ start  { t = 1; c++; next }
$0 ~ finish { t = 0 }
t           { print > c ".txt" }
' INPUTFILE

My input and output are all same but instead of .A I read until newline when I start from .W

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

extracting a set of strings from a text file

i have textfiles that contain a series of lines that look like this: string0 .................................................... column3a column4a string1**384y0439 ..................................... column3b column4b... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Deanne
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to insert some constant text at beginig of each line within a text file.

Dear Folks :), I am new to UNIX scripting and I do not know how can I insert some text in the first column of a UNIX text file at command promtp. I can do this in vi editor by using this command :g/^/s//BBB_ e,g I have a file named as Test.dat and it containins below text: michal... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Muhammad Afzal
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

using awk to extract text between two constant strings

Hi, I have a file from which i need to extract data between two constant strings. The data looks like this : Line 1 SUN> read db @cmpd unit 60 Line 2 Parameter: CMPD -> "C00071" Line 3 Line 4 SUN> generate Line 5 tabint>ERROR: (Variable data) The data i need to extract is... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: mjoshi
11 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting text between two strings, first instance only

There are a lot of ways to extract text from between two strings, but what if those strings occur multiple times and you only want the text from the first two strings? I can't seem to find anything to work here. I'm using sed to process the text after it's extracted, so I prefer a sed answer, but... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: fubaya
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting text between two strings

Hi, I've looked at a few existing posts on this, but they don't seem to work for my inputs. I have a text file where I want to extract all the text between two strings, every time that occurs. Eg my input file is Anna said that she would fetch the bucket. Anna and Ben moved the bucket.... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: JamesForeman
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting text between two strings, multiple instances

Hi experts, Ive got a text file which has the following text which will occur in this format at least one time: +=========================>> Some stuff that evreryone should knnow other stufsjdokajkajokajda aijhjajcdjajcisajcqsqdqwdqad <<=========================+ It is likely that... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: martin0852
8 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extracting 22-character strings from text using sed/awk?

Here is my task, I feel sure this can be accomplished with see/awk but can't seem to figure out how. I have large flat file from which I need to extract every case of a pairing of characters (GG) in this case PLUS the previous 20 characters. The output should be a list (which I plan to make... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: Twinklefingers
17 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Extracting strings at various positions of text file

Hi Team - I hope everyone has been well! I export a file from one of our source systems that gives me more information than I need. The way the file outputs, I need to extract certain strings at different positions on the file and echo them to another file. I can do this in batch easily,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SIMMS7400
2 Replies
COLORS(3)						   libbash colors Library Manual						 COLORS(3)

NAME
colors -- libbash library for setting tty colors. SYNOPSIS
colorSet <color> colorReset colorPrint [<indent>] <color> <text> colorPrintN [<indent>] <color> <text> DESCRIPTION
General colors is a collection of functions that make it very easy to put colored text on tty. The function list: colorSet Sets the color of the prints to the tty to COLOR colorReset Resets current tty color back to normal colorPrint Prints TEXT in the color COLOR indented by INDENT (without adding a newline) colorPrintN The same as colorPrint, but trailing newline is added Detailed interface description follows. Available colors: Green Red Yellow White The color parameter is non-case-sensitive (i.e. RED, red, ReD, and all the other forms are valid and are the same as Red). FUNCTIONS DESCRIPTIONS
colorSet <color> Sets the current printing color to color. colorReset Resets current tty color back to normal. colorPrint [<indent>] <color> Prints text using the color color indented by indent (without adding a newline). Parameters: <indent> The column to move to before start printing. This parameter is optional. If ommitted - start output from current cursor position. <color> The color to use. <color> The text to print. colorPrintN [<indent>] <color> The same as colorPrint, except a trailing newline is added. EXAMPLES
Printing a green 'Hello World' with a newline: Using colorSet: $ colorSet green $ echo 'Hello World' $ colorReset Using colorPrint: $ colorPrint 'Hello World'; echo Using colorPrintN: $ colorPrintN 'Hello World' AUTHORS
Hai Zaar <haizaar@haizaar.com> Gil Ran <gil@ran4.net> SEE ALSO
ldbash(1), libbash(1) Linux Epoch Linux