Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting repeating ftp script question Post 302557652 by migurus on Wednesday 21st of September 2011 09:10:07 PM
Old 09-21-2011
ftp allows to direct output from its command, say ls, to the shell.

As example:
Code:
ftp -i my.ftp.server << EOF
cd $my/path
ls $my.file "|wc -l > temp.file"
bye
EOF

This piece will place 1 into temp.file if file $my.file exists, otherwise you will get 0

You can make decision in your script based on that 1 or 0

Last edited by migurus; 09-21-2011 at 10:10 PM.. Reason: code tags
This User Gave Thanks to migurus For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Repeating commands in a script

I have written a script that I want to be repeated. The script that I wrote outputs the date, how many people are on the system, how many people logged in before me, and how many people logged in after me. Than what I want it to do is after it outputs the 4 lines I want it to go back to the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dave2874
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Not the usual ftp script question

I have an order file that gets updated periodically on a ftp server. The file format is "number one-day of the quarter-file number". For example, the format would look like this for today and would increment as such. 1-26-1 1-26-2 1-26-3 etc After I grab each oder file, I will rename... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: cstovall
9 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

unix script for repeating a command with a variable

Hi need urgent help , for creating unix script . To collect system name,This is command i want to execute n (integer) no. of times for for a differnt IP addresses .IP is variable in every execution. Other string & collecter name is constant . snmpGet %IP% sysName.0 -c <string> -S <datacollecter... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: langdatyagi
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

FTP - shell script question

Hi All, I had a question on something which i have trying to add to my current shell script which does FTP of files from my local machine to a remote server. I have 5 files which i zip and FTP them on daily basis to a remote server. My script is as below: ############################... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bsandeep_80
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Automated FTP script using .netrc to multiple FTP servers

Hi all, I'm using the following script to automated ftp files to 1 ftp servers host=192.168.0.1 /usr/bin/ftp -vi >> $bkplog 2>&1 <<ftp open $host bin cd ${directory} put $files quit ftp and the .netrc file contain machine 192.168.0.1 login abc... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: varu0612
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to extract data in repeating tags from xml

Hi, I am new to shell scripting. I need to extract data between repeating tags from an xml file and store the data in an array to process it further. <ns1:root xmlns:ns1="http://example.com/config"> <ns1:interface>in1</ns1:interface> <ns1:operation attribute1="true" attribute2="abd"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sailendra
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help with repeating variables in a shell script

I should preface this by saying I have never worked with shell scripts before so this is all new to me. I was able to make something that worked, but is terribly optimized, and I have no idea how to improve it. If anything it's a pretty hilarious script: #/bin/bash get_char() { ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ricco19
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating repeating record in between file through script

apprecieate your help to resove this. My source file looke like 1001 000 HEADER 1001 001 RAJESH 1001 002 100 1001 002 200 1001 002 500 1001 006 FOOTER 1002 000 HEADER 1002 001 RAMESH 1002 002 100 1002 002 200 1002 002 500 1002 006 FOOTER my... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ganesh L
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting Repeating lines from a txt file via script

Hi, I'm having trouble in achieving the following scenario. There is a txt file with thousands of lines and few lines are repeated, which needs to be removed using a script. File.txt 20140522121432,0,12,ram Loc=India From=ram@xxx.com, To=ravi@yyy.com,, 1 2 3 4 . . 30... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gautham
18 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to rename the repeating strings

All, I have a sample text like below. Key (Header) Key1 ABC Key2 ABC Key3 ABC ABC Key4 ABC Key5 ABC ABC ABC Required Output Key (Header) Key1 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ks_reddy
2 Replies
SCRIPT(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 SCRIPT(1)

NAME
script -- make typescript of terminal session SYNOPSIS
script [-a] [-c COMMAND] [-e] [-f] [-q] [-t] [file] DESCRIPTION
Script makes a typescript of everything printed on your terminal. It is useful for students who need a hardcopy record of an interactive session as proof of an assignment, as the typescript file can be printed out later with lpr(1). If the argument file is given, script saves all dialogue in file. If no file name is given, the typescript is saved in the file typescript. Options: -a Append the output to file or typescript, retaining the prior contents. -c COMMAND Run the COMMAND rather than an interactive shell. This makes it easy for a script to capture the output of a program that behaves differently when its stdout is not a tty. -e Return the exit code of the child process. Uses the same format as bash termination on signal termination exit code is 128+n. -f Flush output after each write. This is nice for telecooperation: One person does `mkfifo foo; script -f foo' and another can super- vise real-time what is being done using `cat foo'. -q Be quiet. -t Output timing data to standard error. This data contains two fields, separated by a space. The first field indicates how much time elapsed since the previous output. The second field indicates how many characters were output this time. This information can be used to replay typescripts with realistic typing and output delays. The script ends when the forked shell exits (a control-D to exit the Bourne shell (sh(1)), and exit, logout or control-d (if ignoreeof is not set) for the C-shell, csh(1)). Certain interactive commands, such as vi(1), create garbage in the typescript file. Script works best with commands that do not manipulate the screen, the results are meant to emulate a hardcopy terminal. ENVIRONMENT
The following environment variable is utilized by script: SHELL If the variable SHELL exists, the shell forked by script will be that shell. If SHELL is not set, the Bourne shell is assumed. (Most shells set this variable automatically). SEE ALSO
csh(1) (for the history mechanism), scriptreplay(1). HISTORY
The script command appeared in 3.0BSD. BUGS
Script places everything in the log file, including linefeeds and backspaces. This is not what the naive user expects. AVAILABILITY
The script command is part of the util-linux package and is available from ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/. Linux July 30, 2000 Linux