Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Using commands inside sed substitution Post 302557293 by guruprasadpr on Tuesday 20th of September 2011 08:42:41 PM
Old 09-20-2011
I understand you are trying to replace the entire statement with the date command. In that case,

Code:
$ DATE=`date -d \1 "+%Y%m%d%H%M%S"`

$ echo "01 Jan 2003:11:00:06 +0100" | sed "s/.*/$DATE/"

Guru.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

String substitution on find results inside exec/xargs

What I'm trying to do is perform a copy, well a ditto actually, on the results of a find command, but some inline string substitution needs to happen. So if I run this code find ./ -name "*.tif" I get back these results. .//1234567.tif .//abcdefg.tif Now the action from exec or xargs I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: myndcraft
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing UNIX commands inside sed

Hi, In sed, is it possible to match patterns by directly executing UNIX commands inside sed? For e.g. - sed "s/`cat file.txt | cut -d "|" -f2`/replace_string" Will the above command work? My expectation is to search for the second field in file.txt (file delimited by | ) and replace... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: devanathann
10 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use ftp commands inside shell script? Help please

Dears, I'm new in shell scripting and i need your help, i would like to know how can i create a script to ftp to a certain unix/linux machine/server IP address and get a file for example without user intervention? How can i force the script to use a certain username and password to access this... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dendany83
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh command substitution not executing block commands

We have a function defined in a ksh script that gets called repeatedly and concurrently by background jobs called from within the same shell script file to run PL/SQL commands against an Oracle database. The function is below: runPLSQL() { ORACLE_SID=${1} procName=${2} #... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: rjgst5
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Variable inside command substitution

Hello people. Part of my script: SUBSETID=`echo $PMFILE |sed 's/pmresult_//' | sed 's/_*//'` MAPFILE=`find /huawei/cell /huawei/nodeb /huawei/rnc -name 'mapping_$SUBSETID.txt' |grep -v backup` Unfortunatelly variable $SUBSETID in the MAPFILE declaration will not return the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: drbiloukos
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using Sed to do a substitution inside ksh

I'm trying to do an ls from inside of a ksh script. I loop through the results one line at a time and attempt to do a substitution using sed to convert YYYYMMDD from the older files into the newer files. Basically sometimes the ETL load runs over midnight and half the files are off by one day... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Calbrenar
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Automating execution of commands inside a program

I have a program dnapars I execute the program from command line as following: ./dnapars The program then prompts me some message as a user menu from where I have to select a series of options in the order R U Y R. And then I copy the output file (outfile) in another result file. I wrote the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: deeptisjains
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command substitution inside of a variable expression (AIX, KORN)

Hello all. This is my first post/question on this site. I’m a new Systems Analyst with previous experience with BASH. Although now I'm using AIX, and I’m trying to get a feel for the Korn shell (for those of you that don’t know AIX only uses the KORN shell). I hope I put this into the correct... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: sydox
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

RMAN commands inside crontab shell script

Hello I'm trying to write simple script to delete archive logs for RMAN, unfortunately it's not working, I tried two way to do that: #!/bin/ksh echo "Start ....." rman target=/ << EOF RUN { delete force noprompt archivelog until time 'sysdate-10'; } EXIT; EOF echo "END ..." echo... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: samer.odeh
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Vi quick substitution commands

I have a script that has quite a lot of these types of entries: hello=$(who am i) good=$(blahblah) what i want to do is replace the $( and the ) with `` so that they look like this: hello=`who am i` good=`blahblah` I tried this: :%s~=$(&&)$~=`&&`$~g (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
3 Replies
Date::Parse(3)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					    Date::Parse(3)

NAME
Date::Parse - Parse date strings into time values SYNOPSIS
use Date::Parse; $time = str2time($date); ($ss,$mm,$hh,$day,$month,$year,$zone) = strptime($date); DESCRIPTION
"Date::Parse" provides two routines for parsing date strings into time values. str2time(DATE [, ZONE]) "str2time" parses "DATE" and returns a unix time value, or undef upon failure. "ZONE", if given, specifies the timezone to assume when parsing if the date string does not specify a timezone. strptime(DATE [, ZONE]) "strptime" takes the same arguments as str2time but returns an array of values "($ss,$mm,$hh,$day,$month,$year,$zone)". Elements are only defined if they could be extracted from the date string. The $zone element is the timezone offset in seconds from GMT. An empty array is returned upon failure. MULTI-LANGUAGE SUPPORT Date::Parse is capable of parsing dates in several languages, these include English, French, German and Italian. $lang = Date::Language->new('German'); $lang->str2time("25 Jun 1996 21:09:55 +0100"); EXAMPLE DATES
Below is a sample list of dates that are known to be parsable with Date::Parse 1995:01:24T09:08:17.1823213 ISO-8601 1995-01-24T09:08:17.1823213 Wed, 16 Jun 94 07:29:35 CST Comma and day name are optional Thu, 13 Oct 94 10:13:13 -0700 Wed, 9 Nov 1994 09:50:32 -0500 (EST) Text in ()'s will be ignored. 21 dec 17:05 Will be parsed in the current time zone 21-dec 17:05 21/dec 17:05 21/dec/93 17:05 1999 10:02:18 "GMT" 16 Nov 94 22:28:20 PST LIMITATION
Date::Parse uses Time::Local internally, so is limited to only parsing dates which result in valid values for Time::Local::timelocal. This generally means dates between 1901-12-17 00:00:00 GMT and 2038-01-16 23:59:59 GMT BUGS
When both the month and the date are specified in the date as numbers they are always parsed assuming that the month number comes before the date. This is the usual format used in American dates. The reason why it is like this and not dynamic is that it must be deterministic. Several people have suggested using the current locale, but this will not work as the date being parsed may not be in the format of the current locale. My plans to address this, which will be in a future release, is to allow the programmer to state what order they want these values parsed in. AUTHOR
Graham Barr <gbarr@pobox.com> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 1995-2009 Graham Barr. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. POD ERRORS
Hey! The above document had some coding errors, which are explained below: Around line 325: You forgot a '=back' before '=head1' perl v5.16.2 2009-12-12 Date::Parse(3)