Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: If statement for null
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting If statement for null Post 302557104 by gary_w on Tuesday 20th of September 2011 11:46:49 AM
Old 09-20-2011
For the sake of argument, the ksh built=in test "[[" handles a null variable. At least on our Sun box. Consider this:
Code:
#!/bin/ksh

unset efs
#efs=
#efs=x

if [[ $efs == "x" ]]; then
  print "efs equals 'x'"
else
  print "efs is unset, efs != 'x' or efs is null"
fi

Output:
Code:
$ ./testprog
efs is unset, efs != 'x' or efs is null
$

Of course if you explicitly need to test for null by itself, by all means use '-z' (or '-n' for not null) as testing like this is really testing for 3 conditions at once and may not be the desired action.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Null Value

Hello All, I have a file of the format **** 123 abc ABC 456 bcd BCD 789 def 112 ghi GHI 223 jkl 344 mno MNO **** I am trying to extract the lines that have no values in the third field (in this case, this would be 789 def 223 jkl Can anyone please help??... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Khoomfire
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

If statement falling over on a null record. Help please.

Okay i've got some code which reads a text file and loops through it and there a few if statements inside where one is failing (the one bolded). Basically the acc column contains a list of three digit access codes, some though have null records (i.e nothing in the field) so what I want to do is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: TonyR
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

compare null with non-null

I've got a very peculiar situation. I'm trying to find out if we can compare null fields with non-null. I've output csv files from SQL and Oracle. I need to compare each field from the files, and then find out any differences. The files usualy have over 500 fields, and send the resule to DBA.... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: nitin
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

If statement - How to write a null statement

In my ksh script, if the conditions of a if statement are true, then do nothing; otherwise, execute some commands. How do I write the "do nothing" statement in the following example? Example: if (( "$x"="1" && "$y"="a" && "$z"="happy" )) then do nothing else command command fi... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: april
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How is use sselect statement o/p in insert statement.

Hi All, I am using Unix ksh script. I need to insert values to a table using the o/p from a slelect statement. Can anybody Help! My script looks like tihs. ---`sqlplus -s username/password@SID << EOF set heading off set feedback off set pages 0 insert into ${TB_NAME}_D... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nkosaraju
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

echo statement when find returns null

Hi, How do you echo something once when a find statement returns null results? This is when using mutiple locations and mutiple arguments. The below find command the inner loop of a nested for loop where the outter loop holds the $args and the inner loop holds the locations. find... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tchoruma
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert string 'NULL' where there is a null value

I have an input file having 7 fields delimited by , eg : 1,ABC,hg,1,2,34,3 2,hj,YU,2,3,4, 3,JU,kl,4,5,7, 4,JK,KJ,3,56,4,5 The seventh field here in some lines is empty, whereas the other lines there is a value. How do I insert string NULL at this location (7th loc) for these lines where... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: zilch
8 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

/dev/null 2>&1 Versus /dev/null 2>1

How are these two different? They both prevent output and error from being displayed. I don't see the use of the "&" echo "hello" > /dev/null 2>&1 echo "hello" > /dev/null 2>1 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: glev2005
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting standard out to /dev/null goes to file "/dev/null" instead

I apologize if this question has been answered else where or is too elementary. I ran across a KSH script (long unimportant story) that does this: if ; then CAS_SRC_LOG="/var/log/cas_src.log 2>&1" else CAS_SRC_LOG="/dev/null 2>&1" fithen does this: /usr/bin/echo "heartbeat:... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jbmorrisonjr
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert Update statement into Insert statement in UNIX using awk, sed....

Hi folks, I have a scenario to convert the update statements into insert statements using shell script (awk, sed...) or in database using regex. I have a bunch of update statements with all columns in a file which I need to convert into insert statements. UPDATE TABLE_A SET COL1=1 WHERE... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dev123
0 Replies
shift(1)                                                           User Commands                                                          shift(1)

NAME
shift - shell built-in function to traverse either a shell's argument list or a list of field-separated words SYNOPSIS
sh shift [n] csh shift [variable] ksh * shift [n] DESCRIPTION
sh The positional parameters from $n+1 ... are renamed $1 ... . If n is not given, it is assumed to be 1. csh The components of argv, or variable, if supplied, are shifted to the left, discarding the first component. It is an error for the variable not to be set or to have a null value. ksh The positional parameters from $n+1 $n+1 ... are renamed $1 ..., default n is 1. The parameter n can be any arithmetic expression that evaluates to a non-negative number less than or equal to $#. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), ksh(1), sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 15 Apr 1994 shift(1)