Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Bash - Loading a command's output line by line into an array Post 302556914 by Azrael on Tuesday 20th of September 2011 04:29:15 AM
Old 09-20-2011
Thank you Cfajohnson! That does work, however it no longer outputs line by line from my program. Is there a trick to creating a new line after each element?

Quote:
For bash4, also read the man page for the mapfile builtin.
I have Bash version 4.1.5 and there seems to be no man page for that on my system. I will try to research this though.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

array as command line argument !!!!

hello, can any help me how to can pass array as command line argument in korn shell. also how to read a array from command line. thanks spandu (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: spandu
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

reading ps command's output line by line

hi; as a pseudo; while read psLine do myFunc $psLine done < ps i don't want to redirect ps command's to a file. in fact, my problem is "how can i read stdout line by line in bash, sed, awk or any?" thanks, (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: s. murat
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

parse output line using bash

hi, i have the followiing scenario where by i am parsing teh following output using cut -d like so #!/bin/bash output="ABCTable| ------------------| | ------------------| code | name | amount |" col1= $output | cut -d'|' -f5 col2= $output | cut -d'|'... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nano2
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

help with reading command line into array

set -A title set -A author count=1 index=0 while do read -A ${title}?"Booktitle: " read -A ${author}?"Author(s): " (( count = count + 1 )) (( index = index + 1 )) done Hi... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bjhum33
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to have output of AWK array in one line

I have this code echo $logfile | awk ' {arr++; next} END { for (i in arr) {print i} }' that gives me this output result1 result2 result3 I try to figure out how to get it like this result1 result2 result3 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jotne
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command to replace a line in a file using line number from the output of a pipe.

Sed command to replace a line in a file using line number from the output of a pipe. Is it possible to replace a whole line piped from someother command into a file at paritcular line... here is some basic execution flow.. the line number is 412 lineNo=412 Now i have a line... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Limiting Bash array single line output

#!/bin/bash PH=(AD QD QC 5H 6C 8C 7D JH 3H 3S) echo ${PH} In the above array, how can I print to screen just the first 8 elements of ${PH} and have the last 2 elements print just below the first line starting underneath AD? I need to do this in order to save terminal window spacing... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cogiz
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read the output of a command line by line and pass it as a variable?

Hi, I have some 2000 names in a table like below. Java Oracle/SQL ANSI SQL SQL,DWH,DB DB&Java And by using for loop in my code i am able to get a single word but if there is any special character or space then it is considering as a next line. I have to execute the below queries in... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Samah
10 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Get an output of lines in pattern 1st line then 10th line then 11th line then 20th line and so on.

Input file: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sagar Singh
6 Replies
PAPS(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   PAPS(1)

NAME
paps - UTF-8 to PostScript converter using Pango SYNOPSIS
paps [options] files... DESCRIPTION
paps reads a UTF-8 encoded file and generates a PostScript language rendering of the file. The rendering is done by creating outline curves through the pango ft2 backend. OPTIONS
These programs follow the usual GNU command line syntax, with long options starting with two dashes (`-'). A summary of options is included below. --landscape Landscape output. Default is portrait. --columns=cl Number of columns output. Default is 1. --font=desc Set the font description. Default is Monospace 12. --rtl Do rtl layout. --paper ps Choose paper size. Known paper sizes are legal, letter, a4. Default is A4. --bottom-margin=bm Set bottom margin in postscript points (1/72 inch). Default is 36. --top-margin=tm Set top margin. Default is 36. --left-margin=lm Set left margin. Default is 36. --right-margin=rm Set right margin. Default is 36. --help Show summary of options. --header Draw page header for each page. --markup Interpret the text as pango markup. --encoding=ENCODING Assume the documentation encoding is ENCODING. --lpi Set the lines per inch. This determines the line spacing. --cpi Set the characters per inch. This is an alternative method of specifying the font size. --stretch-chars Indicates that characters should be stretched in the y-direction to fill up their vertical space. This is similar to the texttops behaviour. AUTHOR
paps was written by Dov Grobgeld <dov.grobgeld@gmail.com>. This manual page was written by Lior Kaplan <kaplan@debian.org>, for the Debian project (but may be used by others). April 17, 2006 PAPS(1)