Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: User input - Perl need Help
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting User input - Perl need Help Post 302556718 by guidely on Monday 19th of September 2011 11:04:23 AM
Old 09-19-2011
User input - Perl need Help

If I want all user input to start with " : " if not display error

or what I asking is how to do if statement that control a first letter of string that we want to start with. and not worry about the rest
Thank

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

geting user input from php and using perl for execution

I am using festival speech synthesis system and I would like to allow user input in a browser. This will be taken by a php page which is then supposed to pass the input text to a perl script. The perl script should pass this text to the festival engine by executing a unix command. this in turn... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wairimus
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Executing program with Perl script but needs user input

Hello, I'm running a perl script to execute a program through my Unix command line. The program requires a user input but I want to automatically have perl input the string. Is there a way to do this? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: leonard2352
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Accepting user input and arguments in PERL

Hi All, Can we pass arguments while calling the perl script and as well as ask user input during execution of the script? My program is as below: I am passing arg1 and arg2 as argements to test.pl ]./test.pl arg1 arg2 Inside the test.pl I have : print "Do you want a name ? (y/n) : ";... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jisha
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

List all file that match user input perl

Hi, I want to list all file that match user input ( specified shell wildcard) but when I compile it dont list me #!/usr/bin/perl -w print "Enter Advance Search Function: "; chomp ($func = <STDIN>); my @files = glob("$func"); foreach my $file (@files) { print "$file\n";... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: guidely
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

every time user input create array perl

Hi, How to create array every time user input and store user input and display all array print " Enter input " my @input = split(' ', $input) chmop($input = <STDIN>; foreach ($input) { @array= @input; } print @array"\n"; (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: guidely
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Validating uppercase/lowercase of user input with perl compared to unix folders

Hi, I need to copy files from a source directory to a destination directory in unix. I'm using the file::copy for the actual copy. The problem is that the source and dest directories are supplied by different users, who might type the name of the directories in various combinations of lower... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Furou
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

user input in perl?

Please tell me how to write a perl script that asks the user to enter words and that passes them to a variable. In bash, the "read" command would achieve such user interaction. #!/bin/bash read -p "Enter files: " vFiles However, I am looking for perl version of something equivalent... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: LessNux
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

User input in perl code

Hello friends . I am newbie to perl scripting but still managed to write a code but i am stuck at a place where i need help . Below is the code and can someone help me in taking user input for changing the font size for a html table .Thank you in advance #!/bin/ksh echo " Enter the Directory... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajayram_arya
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl to read user input

I am creating a bash that uses perl . The below code closes before the input is entered. If I run the perl as a .pl it is fine. What am I doing wrong? Thank you :). #!/bin/bash cd 'C:\Users\cmccabe\Desktop\wget' wget -O getCSV.txt http://xxx.xx.xxx.xxx/data/getCSV.csv print... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking the user input in perl for characters and length

My question is basically as the title says. How can I check a user inputted string is only certain characters long (for example, 3 characters long) and how do I check a user inputted string only contains certain characters (for example, it should only contain the characters 'u', 'a', 'g', and 'c')... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Eric1
4 Replies
LUA(1)							      General Commands Manual							    LUA(1)

NAME
lua - Lua interpreter SYNOPSIS
lua [ options ] [ script [ args ] ] DESCRIPTION
lua is the stand-alone Lua interpreter. It loads and executes Lua programs, either in textual source form or in precompiled binary form. (Precompiled binaries are output by luac, the Lua compiler.) lua can be used as a batch interpreter and also interactively. The given options (see below) are executed and then the Lua program in file script is loaded and executed. The given args are available to script as strings in a global table named arg. If these arguments contain spaces or other characters special to the shell, then they should be quoted (but note that the quotes will be removed by the shell). The arguments in arg start at 0, which contains the string 'script'. The index of the last argument is stored in arg.n. The arguments given in the command line before script, including the name of the interpreter, are available in negative indices in arg. At the very start, before even handling the command line, lua executes the contents of the environment variable LUA_INIT, if it is defined. If the value of LUA_INIT is of the form '@filename', then filename is executed. Otherwise, the string is assumed to be a Lua statement and is executed. Options start with '-' and are described below. You can use '--' to signal the end of options. If no arguments are given, then -v -i is assumed when the standard input is a terminal; otherwise, - is assumed. In interactive mode, lua prompts the user, reads lines from the standard input, and executes them as they are read. If a line does not contain a complete statement, then a secondary prompt is displayed and lines are read until a complete statement is formed or a syntax error is found. So, one way to interrupt the reading of an incomplete statement is to force a syntax error: adding a ';' in the middle of a statement is a sure way of forcing a syntax error (except inside multiline strings and comments; these must be closed explicitly). If a line starts with '=', then lua displays the values of all the expressions in the remainder of the line. The expressions must be separated by commas. The primary prompt is the value of the global variable _PROMPT, if this value is a string; otherwise, the default prompt is used. Similarly, the secondary prompt is the value of the global variable _PROMPT2. So, to change the prompts, set the corresponding variable to a string of your choice. You can do that after calling the interpreter or on the command line (but in this case you have to be careful with quotes if the prompt string contains a space; otherwise you may confuse the shell.) The default prompts are "> " and ">> ". OPTIONS
- load and execute the standard input as a file, that is, not interactively, even when the standard input is a terminal. -e stat execute statement stat. You need to quote stat if it contains spaces, quotes, or other characters special to the shell. -i enter interactive mode after script is executed. -l name call require('name') before executing script. Typically used to load libraries. -v show version information. SEE ALSO
luac(1) http://www.lua.org/ DIAGNOSTICS
Error messages should be self explanatory. AUTHORS
R. Ierusalimschy, L. H. de Figueiredo, and W. Celes $Date: 2006/01/06 16:03:34 $ LUA(1)