Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting split records into different files Post 302556661 by HemaV on Monday 19th of September 2011 09:19:26 AM
Old 09-19-2011
Thanks above code works

---------- Post updated at 08:14 AM ---------- Previous update was at 08:11 AM ----------

When I use val=4 (i expected 4 records in File_3.txt but getting 2 records)
Code:
awk -v val="$val" 'BEGIN{i=1}{if(t==1){i++;t=0}}
{if($0%val==0){t=1};file="File_"i".txt";print >>file}' inputFile

o/p:
Code:
$ cat File_1.txt
$ cat File_2.txt
$ cat File_3.txt
$ cat File_4.txt
$ cat File_5.txt

---------- Post updated at 08:17 AM ---------- Previous update was at 08:14 AM ----------

sk1418: without "seq 10" code is working fine. Thanks

---------- Post updated at 08:19 AM ---------- Previous update was at 08:17 AM ----------

sk1418: Contencts are getting split based on number but my files are coming with only numbers and not with f1.txt, f2.txt...

O/p file names:
Code:
4.txt
3.txt
2.txt
1.txt

Thanks

Last edited by Franklin52; 09-19-2011 at 02:43 PM.. Reason: Please use code tags for data and code samples, thank you

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

dynamically split the records

Hi, I was wandering would it be possible to split the record dynamically based on the certain values, for an instance i have a file with record with predefined split value i.e 10 col1 col2 col3 col4 ------------------------ aaaa bbbb 2 44aaaabbbb55cccddd1110 mmn xnmn 3... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: braindrain
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to split multiple records file in n files

Hello, Each record has a lenght of 7 characters I have 2 types of records 010 and 011 There is no character of end of line. For example my file is like that : 010hello 010bonjour011both 011sisters I would like to have 2 files 010.txt (2 records) hello bonjour and ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jeuffeu
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Split records based on '-'

HI, I have a pipe delimiter file , I have to search for second field pattern, if the second field does not contain a '-' , I need to start capturing the record from this line till I find another second field with '-' value. Below is the sample data SOURCE DATA ABC|ABC_702148-PARAM... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mora
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split records into multiple records

Hi All, I am trying to split a record into multiple records based on a value. Input.txt "A",1,0,10 "B",2,0,10,15,20 "C",3,11,14,16,19,21,23 "D",1,0,5 My desired output is: "A",1,0,10 "B",2,0,10 "B",2,15,20 "C",3,11,14 "C",3,16,19 "C",3,21,23 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kmsekhar
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split the Master and Child Records

Hi, I receive a file that has Master record followed by one/more Child Records as shown below & also as attached in the file. Now , The key for the child record is from pos 4 to position 80 in the parent record, now the requirement is to create two files 1. Parent file --> has all the parent... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: KNaveen
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split Records

I have a flat file with 2 columns Id,loc 1,nj:ny:pa 2,pa 3,ca:tx:fl:nj Second colum data is seperated by semi colon and can i have many locations for one id Output i need is 1,nj 1,ny 1,pa 1,pa 3,ca 3,tx 3,fl (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: traininfa
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split file based on records

I have to split a file based on number of lines and the below command works fine: split -l 2 Inputfile -d OutputfileMy input file contains header, detail and trailor info as below: H D D D D TMy split files for the above command contains: First File: H DSecond File: ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ajay Venkatesan
11 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split records

Hi I have a file $cat test a,1;2;3 b,4;5;6;7 c,8;9 I want to split each record to multiple based on semicolon in 2nd field. i.e a,1 a,2 a,3 b,4 b,5 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shivdatta
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to split one record to multiple records?

Hi, I have one tab delimited file which is having multiple store_ids in first column seprated by pipe.I want to split the file on the basis of store_id(separating 1st record in to 2 records ). I tried some more options like below with using split,awk etc ,But not able to get proper output. can... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jaggy
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Want to grep records in alphabetical order from a file and split into other files

Hi All, I have one file containing thousands of table names in single column. Now I want that file split into multiple files e.g one file containing table names starting from A, other containing all tables starting from B...and so on..till Z. I tried below but it did not work. for i in... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: shekhar_4_u
6 Replies
SPLIT(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  SPLIT(1)

NAME
split -- split a file into pieces SYNOPSIS
split -d [-l line_count] [-a suffix_length] [file [prefix]] split -d -b byte_count[K|k|M|m|G|g] [-a suffix_length] [file [prefix]] split -d -n chunk_count [-a suffix_length] [file [prefix]] split -d -p pattern [-a suffix_length] [file [prefix]] DESCRIPTION
The split utility reads the given file and breaks it up into files of 1000 lines each (if no options are specified), leaving the file unchanged. If file is a single dash ('-') or absent, split reads from the standard input. The options are as follows: -a suffix_length Use suffix_length letters to form the suffix of the file name. -b byte_count[K|k|M|m|G|g] Create split files byte_count bytes in length. If k or K is appended to the number, the file is split into byte_count kilobyte pieces. If m or M is appended to the number, the file is split into byte_count megabyte pieces. If g or G is appended to the num- ber, the file is split into byte_count gigabyte pieces. -d Use a numeric suffix instead of a alphabetic suffix. -l line_count Create split files line_count lines in length. -n chunk_count Split file into chunk_count smaller files. -p pattern The file is split whenever an input line matches pattern, which is interpreted as an extended regular expression. The matching line will be the first line of the next output file. This option is incompatible with the -b and -l options. If additional arguments are specified, the first is used as the name of the input file which is to be split. If a second additional argument is specified, it is used as a prefix for the names of the files into which the file is split. In this case, each file into which the file is split is named by the prefix followed by a lexically ordered suffix using suffix_length characters in the range ``a-z''. If -a is not speci- fied, two letters are used as the suffix. If the prefix argument is not specified, the file is split into lexically ordered files named with the prefix ``x'' and with suffixes as above. ENVIRONMENT
The LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE and LC_COLLATE environment variables affect the execution of split as described in environ(7). EXIT STATUS
The split utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. SEE ALSO
csplit(1), re_format(7) STANDARDS
The split utility conforms to IEEE Std 1003.1-2001 (``POSIX.1''). HISTORY
A split command appeared in Version 3 AT&T UNIX. BUGS
The maximum line length for matching patterns is 65536. BSD
May 9, 2013 BSD