Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: HardLinks and Softlinks
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting HardLinks and Softlinks Post 302556440 by ahmad.diab on Sunday 18th of September 2011 02:17:00 PM
Old 09-18-2011
Code:
you can control the permission by using "chmod" command , to create a soft link use "ln -s" command

---------- Post updated at 21:17 ---------- Previous update was at 21:15 ----------

Code:
Creating Hard and Symbolic Links
To create a symbolic link or a hard link, you use the same command name, In, which has the following syntax:

In [-fns] <source> [<target>]

Hard link is the default output of the ln command-that is, if you issue the ln command without the - s option, a hard link will be created.

In this command, <source> is the original file and <target> is the link that will be created and linked to the <source>. The options for the command are listed here:

-f (force). Link the file without questioning the user.

-n. If the <target> is an existing file, do not overwrite the content of the file. The -f option overrides this option.

-s. Create a symbolic link. The default is a hard link.

The hard links and symbolic links are compared in Table 4-2 

Table 4-2: Comparison of hard and soft links  Characteristic
 Hard Link
 Soft Link

Existence of original file
 You cannot create a hard link to a file that does not exist.
 You can create a symbolic link to a file that does not exist.

File systems
 A hard link cannot span file systems-that is, the link and the file it points to have to be in the same file system.
 A soft link can span file systems.

Kind of original file
 A hard link can only point to a file that is not a directory.
 A soft link can point to a file or a directory.

I-node
 A hard link has the same inode number as the file it points to.
 A soft link has a different inode from the file it points to.

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

search for hardlinks based on filename via find command

I am using command substitution into a find command in a script where I have built a menu to do a bunch of tasks within my unix account. When I choose the options for to find a file/files that have the same inode of the entered filename, ie hardlinks, nothing shows up. When I choose the appropiate... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hunternjb
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to list hardlinks?

Q1: Let's say I create a hard-link bar.c in /tmp to a file foo.c which resides in /var/tmp. Is there a easy way to find out which file /tmp/bar.c hardlinks to (and vice-versa - i.e which files have got hard-linked from /var/tmp/foo.c) when one does not (and wants to) know the location of the other... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mahatma
0 Replies

3. AIX

IHS 6.1 on AIX - problem with symlinks / symbolic links / softlinks

Hello, I got an IHS 6.1 installed and want to publish a directory with an index of files, directories and symlinks / symbolic links / soft links, last ones being created with the usual Unix command "ln -s .... ....". In httpd.conf I've tried following for that directory: Options Indexes... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: zaxxon
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

dump/restore of a fs with 100 of millions hardlinks

Hi :-) i have a dump of a backupdisk (~540GB / ext3). The Backups have some 100 millions of hardlinks (backups are created with storeBackup). The OS is linux. A restore of a directory ended after some days with the errormessage "no memory to extend symbol table" The restore of the complete... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: turricum
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Create softlinks between 2 different hosts

Hi I want to create softlinks, my source files and folders are placed in one server(hostname: info-1) and i want to access those files from different host(hostname :info-2). file and folder names in info-1 host. file1 folder1 Thanks, Mallik. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tmalik79
1 Replies

6. Solaris

Will softlinks occupy space in Solaris10

I have a pen drive1 with UFS file system and it has 43G used. It has a hell lot of soft links to other files which are located in a second pen drive2. We partitioned the file system on sun sparc machine, such that / has around 150G space.Now when we are copying the files from pen drive 1 to / on... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: crackperl
3 Replies
Gnome2::Canvas::Shape(3pm)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				Gnome2::Canvas::Shape(3pm)

NAME
Gnome2::Canvas::Shape - Base class for canvas item shapes HIERARCHY
Glib::Object +----Glib::InitiallyUnowned +----Gtk2::Object +----Gnome2::Canvas::Item +----Gnome2::Canvas::Shape METHODS
pathdef = $shape->get_path_def $shape->set_path_def ($path_def) o $path_def (Gnome2::Canvas::PathDef) PROPERTIES
'cap-style' (Gtk2::Gdk::CapStyle : default "butt" : readable / writable) 'dash' (gpointer : default 0 : readable / writable) 'fill-color' (string : default undef : writable) 'fill-color-gdk' (Gtk2::Gdk::Color : default undef : readable / writable) 'fill-color-rgba' (Glib::UInt : default 0 : readable / writable) 'fill-stipple' (Gtk2::Gdk::Drawable : default undef : readable / writable) 'join-style' (Gtk2::Gdk::JoinStyle : default "miter" : readable / writable) 'miterlimit' (double : default 0 : readable / writable) 'outline-color' (string : default undef : writable) 'outline-color-gdk' (Gtk2::Gdk::Color : default undef : readable / writable) 'outline-color-rgba' (Glib::UInt : default 0 : readable / writable) 'outline-stipple' (Gtk2::Gdk::Drawable : default undef : readable / writable) 'width-pixels' (Glib::UInt : default 0 : readable / writable) 'width-units' (double : default 0 : readable / writable) 'wind' (Glib::UInt : default 0 : readable / writable) ENUMS AND FLAGS
enum Gtk2::Gdk::CapStyle o 'not-last' / 'GDK_CAP_NOT_LAST' o 'butt' / 'GDK_CAP_BUTT' o 'round' / 'GDK_CAP_ROUND' o 'projecting' / 'GDK_CAP_PROJECTING' enum Gtk2::Gdk::JoinStyle o 'miter' / 'GDK_JOIN_MITER' o 'round' / 'GDK_JOIN_ROUND' o 'bevel' / 'GDK_JOIN_BEVEL' SEE ALSO
Gnome2::Canvas, Glib::Object, Glib::InitiallyUnowned, Gtk2::Object, Gnome2::Canvas::Item COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2003-2004 by the Gtk2-Perl Team. This software is licensed under the LGPL; see Gnome2::Canvas for a full notice. perl v5.14.2 2011-11-16 Gnome2::Canvas::Shape(3pm)