Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: HardLinks and Softlinks
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting HardLinks and Softlinks Post 302556434 by lilbo4231 on Sunday 18th of September 2011 02:02:21 PM
Old 09-18-2011
thanks for the response but what is the <src> and <dst> mean. ln -f didnt work

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

search for hardlinks based on filename via find command

I am using command substitution into a find command in a script where I have built a menu to do a bunch of tasks within my unix account. When I choose the options for to find a file/files that have the same inode of the entered filename, ie hardlinks, nothing shows up. When I choose the appropiate... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hunternjb
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to list hardlinks?

Q1: Let's say I create a hard-link bar.c in /tmp to a file foo.c which resides in /var/tmp. Is there a easy way to find out which file /tmp/bar.c hardlinks to (and vice-versa - i.e which files have got hard-linked from /var/tmp/foo.c) when one does not (and wants to) know the location of the other... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mahatma
0 Replies

3. AIX

IHS 6.1 on AIX - problem with symlinks / symbolic links / softlinks

Hello, I got an IHS 6.1 installed and want to publish a directory with an index of files, directories and symlinks / symbolic links / soft links, last ones being created with the usual Unix command "ln -s .... ....". In httpd.conf I've tried following for that directory: Options Indexes... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: zaxxon
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

dump/restore of a fs with 100 of millions hardlinks

Hi :-) i have a dump of a backupdisk (~540GB / ext3). The Backups have some 100 millions of hardlinks (backups are created with storeBackup). The OS is linux. A restore of a directory ended after some days with the errormessage "no memory to extend symbol table" The restore of the complete... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: turricum
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Create softlinks between 2 different hosts

Hi I want to create softlinks, my source files and folders are placed in one server(hostname: info-1) and i want to access those files from different host(hostname :info-2). file and folder names in info-1 host. file1 folder1 Thanks, Mallik. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tmalik79
1 Replies

6. Solaris

Will softlinks occupy space in Solaris10

I have a pen drive1 with UFS file system and it has 43G used. It has a hell lot of soft links to other files which are located in a second pen drive2. We partitioned the file system on sun sparc machine, such that / has around 150G space.Now when we are copying the files from pen drive 1 to / on... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: crackperl
3 Replies
hardlink(1)						      General Commands Manual						       hardlink(1)

NAME
hardlink - Link multiple copies of a file SYNOPSIS
hardlink [option]... [directory|file]... DESCRIPTION
hardlink is a tool which replaces copies of a file with hardlinks, therefore saving space. OPTIONS
-h or --help print quick usage details to the screen. -v or --verbose More verbose output. If specified once, every hardlinked file is displayed, if specified twice, it also shows every comparison. -n or --dry-run Do not act, just print what would happen -f or --respect-name Only try to link files with the same (basename). -p or --ignore-mode Link/compare files even if their mode is different. This may be a bit unpredictable. -o or --ignore-owner Link/compare files even if their owner (user and group) is different. It is not predictable -t or --ignore-time Link/compare files even if their time of modification is different. This will retain the newest timestamp, unless -m or -M is given. -m or --maximize Try to maximize the link count of the files. -M or --minimize Try to minimize the link count of the files. -x or --exclude A regular expression which excludes files from being compared and linked. -i or --include A regular expression to include files. If the option --exclude has been given, this option re-includes files which would otherwise be excluded. If the option is used without --exclude, only files matched by the pattern are included. ARGUMENTS
hardlink takes one or more directories which will be searched for files to be linked. BUGS
hardlink assumes that the trees it operates on do not change during operation. If a tree does change, the result is undefined and poten- tially dangerous. For example, if a regular file is replaced by a device, hardlink may start reading from the device. If a component of a path is replaced by a symbolic link or file permissions change, security may be compromised. Do not run hardlink on a changing tree or on a tree controlled by another user. AUTHOR
The program hardlink and this manpage have been written by Julian Andres Klode, and are licensed under the MIT license. See the code of hardlink for further information. 0.2.0 2012-02-28 hardlink(1)