Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Using shell to replace characters in a text file Post 302556127 by SomeTechGuy on Friday 16th of September 2011 04:52:27 PM
Old 09-16-2011
Ahamed, I hope you're patient with me. I'm still learning so much. So I pasted in your code with my previous code to make this:

Code:
head -n 300 ~/Documents/Notes/GeekTool/RSS/Cheatsheet.txt | tr '[\n]' '~' | sed 's/~~/\
/g' sed 's/~//g' | sed 's/-0000//g'

#!/bin/bash
while read line
do
  from_date=$( echo $line | sed -n 's/.* - \([0-9]*-.*\) +0000/\1/gp' )
  if [ ! -z "$from_date" ]
  then
    to_date=$( TZ=UTC date '+%F %k:%M:%S' -d "$from_date IST" )
    line=$( echo $line | sed "s/$from_date +0000/$to_date/g" )
  fi
  echo $line
done < inputFile

root@bt:/tmp# cat inputFile 
NEW DOLPHIN SPECIES DISCOVERED - 2011-09-16 13:09:00 +0000
IN AUSTRALIAN BAY
root@bt:/tmp# 
root@bt:/tmp# ./run
NEW DOLPHIN SPECIES DISCOVERED - 2011-09-16 7:39:00
IN AUSTRALIAN BAY
root@bt:/tmp#

Now nothing displays. Maybe that's a GeekTool thing. In fact, maybe I should put your code in a separate .sh file and run that file instead of pasting both segments of the full code right into GeekTool like how I'm currently doing it. What do you think?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replace Special characters in a file

Hi, I have a data like this in a file, 402003279034002000100147626030003300010000000000002000029000000 ær^M^\MÍW^H I need to replace those special char to some other char like # or $ Is there any ways to do it... I tried commands tr,sed and many but it was not able to replace because... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: solai
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to replace characters 7 through 14 of every line in a file

Hi all, I have a file with multiple lines. I want to replace characters 7 through 14 of every line with 0000000 Input: 12345678901234567890 23456789012345678901 Output 12345600000004567890 23456700000005678901 Please help. JaK (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: jakSun8
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace characters in a file

Hi, I have a file in which i want to replace the charaters from position 3-5 with a particular string for the first line. For ex The file contains abcdefghij jkdsflsfkdk 908090900 i want to replace the characters 3-5 for the first line as 678 so, the file should look like ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dnat
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace characters then read the file without changing it

Hi All At the moment the following code works but ideally i do not want to have to change the original $1 tr "\r" "\n" < "$1" > "$1.fix" printf "\n" >> "$1.fix" mv "$1.fix" "$1" FILE=$1 coffee_out="splitmovie" coffee_fill="-splitAt" coffee_end="-self-contained -o output.mov $2"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: babajuma
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace 10 characters in file

Hi, I need to replace 10 characters string (21-30) in a file with another string. I tried using cut command, i am able get these 10 charaters, but do not know how to replace them inside the file. for example file content(these are alphanumeric characters):... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Johny001
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

share a shell script which can replace weird characters in directory or file name

I just finish the shell script . This shell can replace weird characters (such as #$%^@!'"...) in file or directory name by "_" I spent long time on replacing apostrophe in file/directory name added: 2012-03-14 the 124th line (/usr/bin/perl -i -e "s#\'#\\'#g" /tmp/rpdir_level$i.tmp) is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: begonia
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to replace a text in a file from second file in shell

Hi, I have file 1 say abc abcd abc abcd <some tag> xyx abcd xyz abc abcd <some tag> xyx xyz abc And i have another file say file 2 - replaced tag1 replaced tag2 Now i want to put value of file2 in file1 whereever it finds <some tag>. for e.g. first <some tag> should be replaced... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhitanshu
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace first 3 characters in a unix file in all lines

Replace first 3 characters in a unix file (say replace "A&B" with "C&D") in all lines of the file. Need a sed or awk script to do this. Kindly help! -Kumar (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vasan2815
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to replace characters in a file?

Hi Gurus, I need replace some charactors in a file. in following example. I need replace from 4th charactor to 6th charactor with x in each line. abcdefghijklmn 123456789011 excepted result: abcxxxghijklmn 123xxx789011 Thanks in advance. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ken6503
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search special characters in a file and replace with meaningful text messages like Hello

Search special characters in a file and replace with meaningful text messages like Hello (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: raka_rjit
2 Replies
pkgproto(1)							   User Commands						       pkgproto(1)

NAME
pkgproto - generate prototype file entries for input to pkgmk command SYNOPSIS
pkgproto [-i] [-c class] [path1] pkgproto [-i] [-c class] [path1=path2...] DESCRIPTION
pkgproto scans the indicated paths and generates prototype(4) file entries that may be used as input to the pkgmk(1) command. If no paths are specified on the command line, standard input is assumed to be a list of paths. If the pathname listed on the command line is a directory, the contents of the directory is searched. However, if input is read from stdin, a directory specified as a pathname will not be searched. OPTIONS
-i Ignores symbolic links and records the paths as ftype=f (a file) versus ftype=s (symbolic link). -c class Maps the class of all paths to class. OPERANDS
path1 Pathname where objects are located. path2 Pathname which should be substituted on output for path1. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Examples of the use of pkgproto.1. The following two examples show uses of pkgproto and a partial listing of the output produced. Example 1: example% pkgproto /bin=bin /usr/bin=usrbin /etc=etc f none bin/sed=/bin/sed 0775 bin bin f none bin/sh=/bin/sh 0755 bin daemon f none bin/sort=/bin/sort 0755 bin bin f none usrbin/sdb=/usr/bin/sdb 0775 bin bin f none usrbin/shl=/usr/bin/shl 4755 bin bin d none etc/master.d 0755 root daemon f none etc/master.d/kernel=/etc/master.d/kernel 0644 root daemon f none etc/rc=/etc/rc 0744 root daemon Example 2: example% find / -type d -print | pkgproto d none / 755 root root d none /bin 755 bin bin d none /usr 755 root root d none /usr/bin 775 bin bin d none /etc 755 root root d none /tmp 777 root root EXIT STATUS
0 Successful completion. >0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
pkgmk(1), pkgparam(1), pkgtrans(1), prototype(4), attributes(5) Application Packaging Developer's Guide NOTES
By default, pkgproto creates symbolic link entries for any symbolic link encountered (ftype=s). When you use the -i option, pkgproto cre- ates a file entry for symbolic links (ftype=f). The prototype(4) file would have to be edited to assign such file types as v (volatile), e (editable), or x (exclusive directory). pkgproto detects linked files. If multiple files are linked together, the first path encountered is considered the source of the link. By default, pkgproto prints prototype entries on the standard output. However, the output should be saved in a file (named Prototype or prototype, for convenience) to be used as input to the pkgmk(1) command. SunOS 5.10 6 Nov 2000 pkgproto(1)