Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Delete lines in file containing duplicate strings, keeping longer strings Post 302556116 by raidzero on Friday 16th of September 2011 04:07:13 PM
Old 09-16-2011
Delete lines in file containing duplicate strings, keeping longer strings

The question is not as simple as the title... I have a file, it looks like this

Code:
<string name="string1">RZ-LED</string>
<string name="string2">2.0</string>
<string name="string2">Version 2.0</string>
<string name="string3">BP</string>

I would like to check for duplicate entries of string2, keeping the longer of two lines...

output would ideally be

Code:
<string name="string1">RZ-LED</string>
<string name="string2">Version 2.0</string>
<string name="string3">BP</string>

Is this possible using GNU tools?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep and delete lines except the lines with strings

Hi I am writing a script which should read a file and search for certain strings 'approved' or 'removed' and retain only those lines that contain the above strings. Ex: file name 'test' test: approved package waiting for approval package disapproved package removed package approved... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: vj8436
14 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Delete lines with duplicate strings based on date

Hey all, a relative bash/script newbie trying solve a problem. I've got a text file with lots of lines that I've been able to clean up and format with awk/sed/cut, but now I'd like to remove the lines with duplicate usernames based on time stamp. Here's what the data looks like 2007-11-03... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mattv
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Delete strings in file1 based on the list of strings in file2

Hello guys, should be a very easy questn for you: I need to delete strings in file1 based on the list of strings in file2. like file2: word1_word2_ word3_word5_ word3_word4_ word6_word7_ file1: word1_word2_otherwords..,word3_word5_others... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: roussine
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete lines starting with these strings

Platform : RHEL 5.8 I have text file called myapplication.log . In this file, I have around 800 lines which start with the followng three strings PWRBRKER-3493 PWRBRKER-7834 SCHEDULER-ERROR How can I delete these lines in one go ? (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: omega3
13 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting lines between two strings with duplicate set of data

if I have the following lines in a file app.log some lines here <AAAA> abc <id>123456789</id> ddd </AAAA>some lines here too <BBBB> abc <id>123456789</id> ddd </BBBB>some lines here too <AAAA> xyz <id>987654321</id> ssss </AAAA>some lines here again... How do I get the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nariwithu
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete duplicate strings in a line

Hi, i need help to remove duplicates in my file. The problem is i need to delete one duplicate for each line only. the input file as follows and it is not tab delimited:- The output need to remove 2nd word (in red) that duplicate with 1st word (in blue). Other duplicates should remained... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: redse171
12 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replace some strings keeping others

I want to replace strings in test2 according to test1 table. In doing so, I`m losing records that I dont need to replace, please suggest modifications. what i have $ cat > test1 a b c d   $ cat > test2 a a a d d   what i tried $ awk ' BEGIN {FS=OFS=" "} FNR==NR{a=$2;next}... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: senhia83
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove lines containing 2 or more duplicate strings

Within my text file i have several thousand lines of text with some lines containing duplicate strings/words. I would like to entirely remove those lines which contain the duplicate strings. Eg; One and a Two Unix.com is the Best This as a Line Line Example duplicate sentence with the word... (22 Replies)
Discussion started by: martinsmith
22 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to pass strings from a list of strings from another file and create multiple files?

Hello Everyone , Iam a newbie to shell programming and iam reaching out if anyone can help in this :- I have two files 1) Insert.txt 2) partition_list.txt insert.txt looks like this :- insert into emp1 partition (partition_name) (a1, b2, c4, s6, d8) select a1, b2, c4, (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nubie2linux
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Use strings from nth field from one file to match strings in entire line in another file, awk

I cannot seem to get what should be a simple awk one-liner to work correctly and cannot figure out why. I would like to use patterns from a specific field in one file as regex to search for matching strings in the entire line ($0) of another file. I would like to output the lines of File2 which... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jvoot
1 Replies
XkbAddDeviceLedInfo(3)						   XKB FUNCTIONS					    XkbAddDeviceLedInfo(3)

NAME
XkbAddDeviceLedInfo - Initialize an XkbDeviceLedInfoRec structure SYNOPSIS
XkbDeviceLedInfoPtr XkbAddDeviceLedInfo ( device_info, led_class, led_id ) XkbDeviceInfoPtr device_info; unsigned int led_class; unsigned int led_id; ARGUMENTS
- device_info structure in which to add LED info - led_class input extension class for LED device of interest - led_id input extension ID for LED device of interest DESCRIPTION
XkbAddDeviceLedInfo first checks to see whether an entry matching led_class and led_id already exists in the device_info->leds array. If it finds a matching entry, it returns a pointer to that entry. Otherwise, it checks to be sure there is at least one empty entry in device_info->leds and extends it if there is not enough room. It then increments device_info->num_leds and fills in the next available entry in device_info->leds with led_class and led_id. If successful, XkbAddDeviceLedInfo returns a pointer to the XkbDeviceLedInfoRec structure that was initialized. If unable to allocate suf- ficient storage, or if device_info points to an invalid XkbDeviceInfoRec structure, or if led_class or led_id are inappropriate, XkbAddDe- viceLedInfo returns NULL. To allocate additional space for button actions in an XkbDeviceInfoRec structure, use XkbResizeDeviceButtonActions. STRUCTURES
Information about X Input Extension devices is transferred between a client program and the Xkb extension in an XkbDeviceInfoRec structure: typedef struct { char * name; /* name for device */ Atom type; /* name for class of devices */ unsigned short device_spec; /* device of interest */ Bool has_own_state; /* True=>this device has its own state */ unsigned short supported; /* bits indicating supported capabilities */ unsigned short unsupported; /* bits indicating unsupported capabilities */ unsigned short num_btns; /* number of entries in btn_acts */ XkbAction * btn_acts; /* button actions */ unsigned short sz_leds; /* total number of entries in LEDs vector */ unsigned short num_leds; /* number of valid entries in LEDs vector */ unsigned short dflt_kbd_fb; /* input extension ID of default (core kbd) indicator */ unsigned short dflt_led_fb; /* input extension ID of default indicator feedback */ XkbDeviceLedInfoPtr leds; /* LED descriptions */ } XkbDeviceInfoRec, *XkbDeviceInfoPtr; typedef struct { unsigned short led_class; /* class for this LED device*/ unsigned short led_id; /* ID for this LED device */ unsigned int phys_indicators; /* bits for which LEDs physically present */ unsigned int maps_present; /* bits for which LEDs have maps in maps */ unsigned int names_present; /* bits for which LEDs are in names */ unsigned int state; /* 1 bit => corresponding LED is on */ Atom names[XkbNumIndicators]; /* names for LEDs */ XkbIndicatorMapRec maps; /* indicator maps for each LED */ } XkbDeviceLedInfoRec, *XkbDeviceLedInfoPtr; SEE ALSO
XkbResizeDeviceButtonActions(3) X Version 11 libX11 1.2.1 XkbAddDeviceLedInfo(3)