Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming segfault in pointer to string program Post 302556104 by shamrock on Friday 16th of September 2011 02:47:37 PM
Old 09-16-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by zius_oram
got it Smilie thank you so much. do C through segfault for any particular type of error?? i wanna know when exactly C throws segfault?
segfault is one kind of runtime error and there can be a number of reasons for it...the most common ones are buffer overruns or stepping into memory which is read only or dereferencing an invalid address pointer.
This User Gave Thanks to shamrock For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

String and pointer problem

i am having a string like " X1 " ---> string lenght is 30 I have stored this to a chararry . ref so here ref = " X1 " now i trim the left space by my function . Si the string now becomes "X1 " ---> string lenght is 15... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunkumar_mca
3 Replies

2. Programming

pass a pointer-to-pointer, or return a pointer?

If one wants to get a start address of a array or a string or a block of memory via a function, there are at least two methods to achieve it: (1) one is to pass a pointer-to-pointer parameter, like: int my_malloc(int size, char **pmem) { *pmem=(char *)malloc(size); if(*pmem==NULL)... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: aaronwong
11 Replies

3. Programming

id3lib SEGFAULT

Hello everyone, I'm writing a program using the id3lib unfortunately I've encountered with memory issue that cause segmentation fault. I tried to rerun and analyze the program with valgrind but it doesn't point me anywhere. I really stuck on this one. Valgrind output: ==14716== Invalid read of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: errb
2 Replies

4. Programming

C++ program is crashing on re-assigning const static member variable using an int pointer

Hi, Can any one tell me why my following program is crashing? #include <iostream> using namespace std; class CA { public: const static int i; }; const int CA::i = 10; int main() { int* pi = const_cast<int*>(&CA::i); *pi = 9; cout << CA::i << endl; } (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Counting vowels in string. "Comparison pointer-integer".

I'm trying to write a programme which scans strings to find how many vowels they contain. I get an error saying that I'm trying to compare a pointer and an integer inif(*v == scanme){. How can I overcome this ? Also, the programme seems to scan only the first word of a string e.g.: if I type "abc... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fakuse
1 Replies

6. Programming

How i use pointer as a string in c programing?

I'm newbie learner. My all friend use windows just only me use linux. so i can't solve any problem by myself. i need a solution. how can i use pointer as a string. #include<string.h> #include<stdio.h> int main() { char *s='\0'; gets(s); puts(s); return 0; } This code work on... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: raihan004
6 Replies

7. Programming

String array iteration causing segfault

I am populating an array of string and print it. But it going in infinite loop and causing segfault. char Name = { "yahoo", "rediff", "facebook", NULL }; main(int argc, char* argv) { int j = 0; ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: rupeshkp728
7 Replies

8. Programming

Scanf() string pointer problem

I have a problem with scanf() for string pointer as member of a struct. #include <stdio.h> #include <stdlib.h> struct Student { int studentNumber; int phoneNumber; char *studentName; //line 7 // char studentName; //line 8 }; int... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
10 Replies

9. Programming

String pointer does not work

Hello, I am trying to reverse complement one string and reverse another (NO complement!), both with pointer. My code compiled without error, but did not do the job I wanted. #include <stdio.h> #include <stdlib.h> #include <zlib.h> #include "kseq.h" // STEP 1: declare the type of file... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
5 Replies

10. Programming

Segfault When Parsing Delimiters In C

Another project, another bump in the road and another chance to learn. I've been trying to open gzipped files and parse data from them and hit a snag. I have data in gzips with a place followed by an ip or ip range sort of like this: Some place:x.x.x.x-x.x.x.x I was able to modify some code... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Azrael
6 Replies
XtMalloc(3Xt)							     MIT X11R4							     XtMalloc(3Xt)

Name
       XtMalloc, XtCalloc, XtRealloc, XtFree, XtNew, XtNewString - memory management functions

Syntax
       char *XtMalloc(size);
	  Cardinal size;

char *XtCalloc(num, size);
	  Cardinal num;
	  Cardinal size;

char *XtRealloc(ptr, num);
	  char *ptr;
	  Cardinal num;

void XtFree(ptr);
	  char *ptr;

type *XtNew(type);
	  type;

String XtNewString(string);
	  String string;

Arguments
       num	 Specifies the number of bytes or array elements.

ptr	 Specifies a pointer to the old storage or to the block of storage that is to be freed.

size	 Specifies the size of an array element (in bytes) or the number of bytes desired.

string	 Specifies a previously declared string.

type	 Specifies a previously declared data type.

Description
       The functions returns a pointer to a block of storage of at least the specified size bytes.  If there is insufficient memory to allocate
       the new block, calls

The function allocates space for the specified number of array elements of the specified size and initializes the space to zero.  If there
       is insufficient memory to allocate the new block, calls

The function changes the size of a block of storage (possibly moving it).  Then, it copies the old contents (or as much as will fit) into
       the new block and frees the old block.  If there is insufficient memory to allocate the new block, calls If ptr is NULL, allocates the new
       storage without copying the old contents; that is, it simply calls

The function returns storage and allows it to be reused.  If ptr is NULL, returns immediately.

returns a pointer to the allocated storage.  If there is insufficient memory to allocate the new block, calls is a convenience macro that
       calls with the following arguments specified:

((type *) XtMalloc((unsigned) sizeof(type))

returns a pointer to the allocated storage.  If there is insufficient memory to allocate the new block, calls is a convenience macro that
       calls with the following arguments specified:

(strcpy(XtMalloc((unsigned) strlen(str) + 1), str))

See Also
       X Window System Toolkit: The Complete Programmer's Guide and Specification, Paul J. Asente and Ralph Swick
       X Window System: The Complete Reference, Second Edition, Robert W. Scheifler and James Gettys

XtMalloc(3Xt)