Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Error redirection question
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Error redirection question Post 302555796 by Corona688 on Thursday 15th of September 2011 03:48:56 PM
Old 09-15-2011
Standard error doesn't pass through pipes. It goes directly to the terminal. So redirecting the last command only redirects errors the last program prints.

Code:
command 2> errlog | command2 | command3

It's extremely wasteful to run awk to process single lines. Might be better to do this:

Code:
[ -r test.dat ] && export LINE_COUNT=`wc -l < test.dat` || echo "Can't read test.dat" >&2

Faster since it uses less processes, and the error messages can be whatever you'd like.
This User Gave Thanks to Corona688 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

question on redirection (<<)

I came across the following problem, where file contents are overwritten using redirection. Can somebody please explain what cat << BAR seems to be doing and say why this is a problem? Explain the contents and relation between the two filenames used before the cat command. thanks /tmp# echo... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newkidintown
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

input redirection question

Hi, in my script I need to execute the following command: query $id 456 432 but it waits for a RETURN character from keyboard and therefore, it fails. I tried something like: query $id 456 432 << '\n' but, i'ts clear it is not correct. Is there any way to do this? Thxs. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: luistid
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

File redirection question

Hi all, I am working with the Grinder tool (unrelated to my question) to redirect the output of a program to a file as follows: java -cp $CLASSPATH net.grinder.TCPProxy > grinder.txt This is a proxy server which pipes output to a file. When I do something on my proxy, more and more goes to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Annorax
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH Problem / Question regarding redirection

Hi all, Maybe someone is able to help: Need to redirect the output of a command in realtime to a second command. Command-A executes a remote shell to another host, and outputs its results. Command-B displays a "dialog" with the outputs of Command-A. Command-A Output: Updating FileA... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mharald
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirection Question

I just wondered if I'm understanding this command line correctly cat 2>save1 0<memo | sort 2>save2 1>letter This means that stdin will read from memo and if there is an error then stderr will write to save1. Am I correct in saying that the sort command will sort the memo file and write... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: snag49ers
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Question about IO redirection

for shell operators like <, >, <<, and >> do the LHS always have to be a process or device and the RHS a file or device? Is it possible for the RHS to be a process? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: stevenswj
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirection question

I want to redirect stderr and have the following peice of code $ cat t1.ksh #!/bin/ksh func2() { diff /tmp/jdlkwjdlkejew /tmp/djlkwejdlewdjew >$OUTPUT_FILE 2>>$ERR_FILE } func1() { let counter=0 while do print -u2 "Error: In main function" func2 let... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: BeefStu
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

output redirection to existing file question

So I have a existing file that I used the uniq command on and I need to save the output to the same file without changing the file name. I have tried $ uniq filename > filename then when I cat the file it then becomes blank like there is nothing inside. any help would be much appreciated... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: drew211
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script output redirection question

OS : AIX 6.1 Shell : Korn in the url https://forums.oracle.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=361463&tstart=0 I came across a crontab entry example 00 23 * * 1,3,5 <complete shell script path> 1> <log file> 2>&1 From googling , I gathered that 0 - stdin 1 - stdout 2 - stderr I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: polavan
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Question on bash redirection

Hi, Can I get some explanation around this bash redirection? From what I have read, x < y means call the shell to redirect the output of y into x. Does this mean that this sequence of commands is executed from right to left? diff <(sort testfile.txt) <(sort testfile2.txt) Thanks, edit... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sand1234
2 Replies
plotit(1)						      General Commands Manual							 plotit(1)

NAME
plotit - experiment data visualization SYNOPSIS
plotit -w FILE plotit [-lp] -q FILE [FILE]... plotit [-lp] Y FILE [FILE...] plotit [-lp] X Y FILE [FILE...] DESCRIPTION
The plotit program is a simple plotting program which can draw line plots and stripcharts using a command language similar to that of gnu- plot. It can also make quick plots of multiple data files from the command-line. Wildcards may be used in the file names. The program takes optional expressions which can be used to manipulate data columns before plotting. Expressions may be as simple as the designation of a column to be plotted or may contain arithmetic expressions and functions. In the latter case the espression must be enclosed in 'single' or "double" quotation marks. Column numbers are designated by the at-sign character (@). A single expression is used for the Y axis of the plot. OPTIONS
-h, --help Print the usage and exit. --version Print the version number and exit. -w Watch the input file for commands to stripchart, or wait to read all of stdin before plotting. Only one file or - for stdin may be specified with this option. No other options may be used in conjuction with this option. -q Plot the first and second columns of each file. -l Plot with lines. -p Plot with points. EXAMPLES
Plot the second column versus the first of all three files with lines only. plotit -lq file1.dat file2.dat file3.dat Plot the quotient of the third column and the second column versus the first column of all files matching the pattern using points only. plotit -p '@3/@2' file??.dat Plot the natural log of the second column divided by the third column versus the fourth column. By default these data are plotted with both lines and points. plotit @4 'log(@2/@3)' file.dat AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Carlo Segre <segre@iit.edu>. February 21, 2009 plotit(1)