Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Unix mail command internals
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Unix mail command internals Post 302555731 by anindyabecs on Thursday 15th of September 2011 11:41:26 AM
Old 09-15-2011
Don't we need an smtp server to send out a mail .. What I meant was how does mail command sends out mails. How it is implemented internally. What do we need to do to set it up ?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. New to Unix. Which books should I read?

UniX internals Material

Hi! I have 1.5 years experience in unix environment and shell scripting. Now, I started learning UNIX internals and network programming. Can you please help in finding the same material on the net Thanks Srinivas. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: srinivaskathika
7 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

on unix internals

will anybody tell me how can i access all the fields of process table .if there is any structure and a system call please specify . (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vish_shan
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX mail command

hi, Im trying to send a e-mail to two people e.g X & Y . I run a shell script that uses the mail command to send an email to both these people . The email that i am sending contains two attatchments that i 'add' to a .mail file. mail <recipients> < filename.mail The problem that im... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nbvcxzdz
1 Replies

4. Programming

UNIX Internals, Help required...

I know UNIX user level commands, shell scripts. But i have no idea about kernel level programming and networking. I know the terms semaphore,IPC,socket programming. But i don't know in details what are these. I need to know the following. 1. Unix kernel level programming. 2. Unix Internals. 3.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: digdarshan
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Mail command in UNIX

1)My main script Calls a function IsDomain to check whether the domain is valid or not PROD>/appl/retek/mpscripts/cat mg3TRn01 #!/bin/ksh # # Standard Header Files # # . ${0%${0##*/}}UKMPFunctionLibrary.test # # START # ScriptStart # # Check that domain exists.Print &... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shilpi
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem using unix mail command

Hello, When i am using mail command like this: mail -r prashant.aggarwal@xx.com -s "hiiii" prashant.aggarwal@xx.com < Content.txt i am abl eto dend a mail. Content.txt is a file from which contents are being reda But when i am trying to execute it thru a shell scipt like this it's giving ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cprash.aggarwal
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problems using Unix mail command (2)

I recently generated myself the following error when attempting to use the Unix mail command: The flags you gave make no sense since you're not sending mail. There is a recent thread about this issue here in unix.com (with a title very much like this thread's title), but it was closed... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Clovis_Sangrail
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

mail command in Unix

Hi All, Is it possible to email a file from another directory in Unix shell prompt? In other words, do we have to be in the directory where the file is located to mail the file? I was in the Mail directory and my file (filename) is in the Practice directory. I tried this and it didn't work:... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: onlinelearner02
7 Replies

9. What is on Your Mind?

How to switch from SVR4/BSD internals to Linux internals?

Hello, Long-time Unix hacker here - I've worked on four variants of the kernel prior to the introduction of Linux. In my spare time, I've written Linux (Ubuntu) device drivers, kernel modules, cross-compiled, and built the kernel. I'd like to do Linux internals/device drivers as a day job,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: OriginalVersion
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

UNIX mail command

I am using HP-UX server. I tried to send the email with attachment, I used the below unix command to send with attachment but it doent work. uuencode pepsitoday.csv | mailx -s "csv file" ramkumar15@pepsi.com ---------- Post updated at 02:10 AM ---------- Previous update was at... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramkumar15
2 Replies
mhmail(1mh)															       mhmail(1mh)

Name
       mhmail - send or read mail

Syntax
       mhmail [ addrs ...  ] [ options ]

Description
       The program is intended as a replacement for the standard mail programs, and See and for more details of these mail programs.  When invoked
       without arguments, it simply invokes to incorporate new messages from the user's maildrop.  When one or more users is specified, a  message
       is  read  from  the  standard  input  and spooled to a temporary file.  then invokes with the name of the temporary file as its argument to
       deliver the message to the specified user.

Normally, people will use and to send messages.

Options
       -body text
		 Specifies the text of the message.  If it is specified, then the standard input is not read.

-cc addrs Specifies addresses to be placed in the cc: field of the message.

-from addr
		 Specifies the content of the From: header of the draft.  The address given is placed in the From:  field  of  the  message.   The
		 Sender: field is filled in correctly by

-help	 Prints a list of the valid options for this command.

-mts smtp Specifies  the  mail  system  over which mail is sent.  The only value allowed is smtp, which is the standard ULTRIX mail system.
		 Additional values are supported only for use with other mail systems.

-subject text
		 Provides the text of the Subject: field of the message.

Restrictions
       Messages with a null body part will not be sent by You must include some body text in all messages to be sent by

For this version, the -mts option only supports the value smtp.	Additional values are supported for use only with other mail systems.

Files
       Program to incorporate a maildrop into a folder.

Program to deliver a message.

Temporary copy of message.

See Also
       inc(1mh), post(8mh)

mhmail(1mh)