Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting replace (sed?) a string in file with multiple lines (string) from variable Post 302555688 by jforce on Thursday 15th of September 2011 10:10:41 AM
Old 09-15-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by birei
Hi,

Use double quotes for the entire 'sed' command.
Code:
$ sed -i "s/STRING/$a/g" filename.ext

Regards,
Birei
I try double quotes but don't work

In my case
a=$(ewrwertwer trt erter ter ter tyer terter terter ter (werrewr) rwerwer werwer
asdas asd asd asd
werwerrweéé wéé)

Last edited by jforce; 09-15-2011 at 06:25 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Delete multiple lines containting a variable string using SED.

Good morning, Novice scripter in Unix here, and I've run into and sed task I can't quite wrap my head around. I'm pulling my hair out fast enough as it is and thought I would go to the knowledge bank. I have a sorted file that I'm trying to trim down by deleting any line whose first few... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: selkirk
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using sed to replace a string in file with a string in a variable that contains spaces

Hi, i call my shell like: my_shell "my project name" my script: #!/bin/bash -vx projectname=$1 sed s/'PROJECT_NAME ='/'PROJECT_NAME = '$projectname/ <test_config_doxy >temp cp temp test_config_doxy the following error occurres: sed s/'PROJECT_NAME ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivelafete
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace (sed?) a single line/string in file with multiple lines (string) from another file??

Can someone tell me how I can do this? e.g: Say file1.txt contains: today is monday the 22 of NOVEMBER 2010 and file2.txt contains: the 11th month of How do i replace the word NOVEMBER with (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tuathan
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace a string with contents of a txt file containing multiple lines of strings

Hello everyone, ive been trying to replace a string "kw01" in an xml file with the contents of a txt file having multiple lines. im a unix newbie and all the sed combinations i tried resulted to being garbled. Below is the contents of the txt file: RAISEDATTIME --------------------... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: 4dirk1
13 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to find & replace a multiple lines string across multiple php files and subdirectories

Hey guys. I know pratically 0 about Linux, so could anyone please give me instructions on how to accomplish this ? The distro is RedHat 4.1.2 and i need to find and replace a multiple lines string in several php files across subdirectories. So lets say im at root/dir1/dir2/ , when i execute... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: spfc_dmt
12 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed or awk command to replace a string pattern with another string based on position of this string

here is what i want to achieve... consider a file contains below contents. the file size is large about 60mb cat dump.sql INSERT INTO `table1` (`id`, `action`, `date`, `descrip`, `lastModified`) VALUES (1,'Change','2011-05-05 00:00:00','Account Updated','2012-02-10... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to replace a string with a variable in a file using sed?

I have a file having some text like: PATH_ABC=/user/myLocation I have to replace "/user/myLocation" with a session variable say, $REPLACE_PATH, where $REPLACE_PATH=/user/myReplaceLocation The following sed command is not working. It is writing PATH_ABC=$REPLACE_PATH in the file ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SKhan
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace a string with multiple lines

Hello Guys, I need to replace a string with multiple lines. For eg:- ABC,DEF,GHI,JKL,MNO,PQR,STU need to convert the above as below:- ABC,DEF, GHI1 GHI2 GHI3, JKL,MNO, PQR1 PQR2 PQR3, STU i have tried using code as:- (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jassi10781
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace string in XML file with awk/sed with string from another

Sorry for the long/weird title but I'm stuck on a problem I have. I have this XML file: </member> <member> <name>TransactionID</name> <value><string>123456789123456</string></value> </member> <member> <name>Number</name> ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: cozzin
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace string of a file with a string of another file for matches using grep,sed,awk

I have a file comp.pkglist which mention package version and release . In 'version change' and 'release change' line there are two versions 'old' and 'new' Version Change: --> Release Change: --> cat comp.pkglist Package list: nss-util-devel-3.28.4-1.el6_9.x86_64 Version Change: 3.28.4 -->... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Paras Pandey
1 Replies
ECHO(3) 								 1								   ECHO(3)

echo - Output one or more strings

SYNOPSIS
void echo (string $arg1, [string $...]) DESCRIPTION
Outputs all parameters. echo is not actually a function (it is a language construct), so you are not required to use parentheses with it. echo (unlike some other language constructs) does not behave like a function, so it cannot always be used in the context of a function. Additionally, if you want to pass more than one parameter to echo, the parameters must not be enclosed within parentheses. echo also has a shortcut syntax, where you can immediately follow the opening tag with an equals sign. Prior to PHP 5.4.0, this short syn- tax only works with the short_open_tag configuration setting enabled. I have <?=$foo?> foo. PARAMETERS
o $arg1 - The parameter to output. o $... - RETURN VALUES
No value is returned. EXAMPLES
Example #1 echo examples <?php echo "Hello World"; echo "This spans multiple lines. The newlines will be output as well"; echo "This spans multiple lines. The newlines will be output as well."; echo "Escaping characters is done "Like this"."; // You can use variables inside of an echo statement $foo = "foobar"; $bar = "barbaz"; echo "foo is $foo"; // foo is foobar // You can also use arrays $baz = array("value" => "foo"); echo "this is {$baz['value']} !"; // this is foo ! // Using single quotes will print the variable name, not the value echo 'foo is $foo'; // foo is $foo // If you are not using any other characters, you can just echo variables echo $foo; // foobar echo $foo,$bar; // foobarbarbaz // Some people prefer passing multiple parameters to echo over concatenation. echo 'This ', 'string ', 'was ', 'made ', 'with multiple parameters.', chr(10); echo 'This ' . 'string ' . 'was ' . 'made ' . 'with concatenation.' . " "; echo <<<END This uses the "here document" syntax to output multiple lines with $variable interpolation. Note that the here document terminator must appear on a line with just a semicolon. no extra whitespace! END; // Because echo does not behave like a function, the following code is invalid. ($some_var) ? echo 'true' : echo 'false'; // However, the following examples will work: ($some_var) ? print 'true' : print 'false'; // print is also a construct, but // it behaves like a function, so // it may be used in this context. echo $some_var ? 'true': 'false'; // changing the statement around ?> NOTES
Note Because this is a language construct and not a function, it cannot be called using variable functions. SEE ALSO
print(3), printf(3), flush(3), Heredoc syntax. PHP Documentation Group ECHO(3)