Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: X Window system - concept
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers X Window system - concept Post 302555549 by messi777 on Thursday 15th of September 2011 04:36:48 AM
Old 09-15-2011
guys, thanks for updating my statements. i tried to boot to runlevel 3 and and then ran this:

Code:
xinit -e <path to window manager>

--> it did not workand gave me the beloe error:

-----------------
FATAL: Module fbcon not found
xinit: No such file or directory (errno 2): no program named "xterm" in PATH

specify the program on the command line orn make sure that /usr/bin is in your path

waiting for X server to shutdown
-----------------
i wrote it again without -e and it worked and launched my twm and mwm both but I can't get the xterm running. is it possible that xterm is not installed? I thought xterm should be part of the X window system installation? or am I wrong? then I will have to install xterm as well!
Code:
xinit <path to my window manager>

---------- Post updated at 03:36 AM ---------- Previous update was at 03:35 AM ----------

by the way i never have any file like .xinitrc or .xserverrc...strange!

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

An X Window System from scratch

I'm currently using Gnome as my desktop environment (DE) but it's going kind of slow. My friend gave me the advice to skip the DE and only use a Window Manager. I took his suggestion one step further and decided to try building an X window system from scrath instead. But what are the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: J.P
3 Replies

2. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

window 2000 professional not pinging my window 98 system.

Hello, We someone help me resolve this problem. I have window 2000 professional, windows 98 and Unixware 7.0.1 on the network. I was able to establish connection with all. However, l was unable to ping window 98 from window 2000 professional. I was able to ping the window 2000 from the window... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: kayode
10 Replies

3. HP-UX

how to start the x window system

hi, am new to hp-ux, i just bought an hp-ux with the hp-ux 11.0 os, is very old, and i wnat to start the x window system but it send an error that said that couldn't open the x server, i try startx, xinit, and nothing, and also where i can find tutorials for hp-ux os for beginners (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: nobody
7 Replies

4. Red Hat

Maximizing X window without Window Switcher

Hi everyone! I have a strange situation. I'm running an NX remote Gnome desktop session. On the remote machine, there is a whole load of unsaved data in a window. A problem that I've been having with this NX session is that I can't load Gnome Applets, including the Window Switcher. So.. when I... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: alexandicity
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What would take the Place of X Window System if X was not installed?

If X was not installed, what would print data onto the display? Does it include applications form Gpl/Gnu or is it a daemon only? Thanks in advance!:wall: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: theKbStockpiler
2 Replies

6. AIX

Is XVFB(X window system virtual frame buffer ) open source

I would like to know XVFB is open source or not. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: prathap.g
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Which X Window system is installed on my server that would work with Xming?

I would like to use Xming to connect a server and managed to get it to work. I am now trying to get it to connect to a different server but i am not sure which X Window system is installed. I tried it through putty and i get the following error/warning: /usr/java/jdk1.7.0_67/bin> jvisualvm... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ziggy25
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Toggle between xterm window and standard terminal window

Is it possible to toggle back and forth between an xterm invoked from one tty, and a shell invoked from a different tty? I am running Centos 7 with KDE and booting in non-graphic mode. After logging in on the default window (/dev/tty1) , I can then use ALT-F2 to access a new window (/dev/tty2),... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rhgscty
1 Replies

9. Programming

Configure: error: X Window system libraries and header files are required

I am trying to compile thunar 1.8.4. It is giving me this error. configure: error: X Window system libraries and header files are required Ubuntu Mate 18.04 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: drew77
2 Replies
FILE2DGR(1)							  DGR executables						       FILE2DGR(1)

NAME
file2dgr - DGR transmission test program SYNOPSIS
file2dgr remoteHostName fileName [nbrOfCycles] DESCRIPTION
file2dgr uses DGR to send nbrOfCycles copies of the text of the file named fileName to the dgr2file process running on the computer identified by remoteHostName. If not specified (or if less than 1), nbrOfCycles defaults to 1. After sending all lines of the file, file2dgr sends a datagram containing an EOF string (the ASCII text "*** End of the file ***") before reopening the file and starting transmission of the next copy. When all copies of the file have been sent, file2dgr prints a performance report: Bytes sent = I<byteCount>, usec elapsed = I<elapsedTime>. Sending I<dataRate> bits per second. EXIT STATUS
0 file2dgr has terminated. FILES
No configuration files are needed. ENVIRONMENT
No environment variables apply. DIAGNOSTICS
Diagnostic messages produced by file2dgr are written to the ION log file ion.log. Can't open dgr service. ION system error. Check for earlier diagnostic messages describing the cause of the error; correct problem and rerun. Can't open input file Operating system error. Check errtext, correct problem, and rerun. Can't acquire DGR working memory. ION system error. Check for earlier diagnostic messages describing the cause of the error; correct problem and rerun. Can't reopen input file Operating system error. Check errtext, correct problem, and rerun. Can't read from input file Operating system error. Check errtext, correct problem, and rerun. dgr_send failed. ION system error. Check for earlier diagnostic messages describing the cause of the error; correct problem and rerun. BUGS
Report bugs to <ion-bugs@korgano.eecs.ohiou.edu> SEE ALSO
file2dgr(1), dgr(3) perl v5.14.2 2012-05-25 FILE2DGR(1)