Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Unix mail command internals
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Unix mail command internals Post 302555485 by anindyabecs on Wednesday 14th of September 2011 11:32:06 PM
Old 09-15-2011
Unix mail command internals

Hi all ,

I wanted to know how does a 'mail' command works in unix. Does it use an smtp server internally ?
How and where it is configured then ? I am trying to google out the same , but not getting much help.

Any suggestions with be of great help.

- Andy

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. New to Unix. Which books should I read?

UniX internals Material

Hi! I have 1.5 years experience in unix environment and shell scripting. Now, I started learning UNIX internals and network programming. Can you please help in finding the same material on the net Thanks Srinivas. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: srinivaskathika
7 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

on unix internals

will anybody tell me how can i access all the fields of process table .if there is any structure and a system call please specify . (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vish_shan
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX mail command

hi, Im trying to send a e-mail to two people e.g X & Y . I run a shell script that uses the mail command to send an email to both these people . The email that i am sending contains two attatchments that i 'add' to a .mail file. mail <recipients> < filename.mail The problem that im... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nbvcxzdz
1 Replies

4. Programming

UNIX Internals, Help required...

I know UNIX user level commands, shell scripts. But i have no idea about kernel level programming and networking. I know the terms semaphore,IPC,socket programming. But i don't know in details what are these. I need to know the following. 1. Unix kernel level programming. 2. Unix Internals. 3.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: digdarshan
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Mail command in UNIX

1)My main script Calls a function IsDomain to check whether the domain is valid or not PROD>/appl/retek/mpscripts/cat mg3TRn01 #!/bin/ksh # # Standard Header Files # # . ${0%${0##*/}}UKMPFunctionLibrary.test # # START # ScriptStart # # Check that domain exists.Print &... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shilpi
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem using unix mail command

Hello, When i am using mail command like this: mail -r prashant.aggarwal@xx.com -s "hiiii" prashant.aggarwal@xx.com < Content.txt i am abl eto dend a mail. Content.txt is a file from which contents are being reda But when i am trying to execute it thru a shell scipt like this it's giving ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cprash.aggarwal
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problems using Unix mail command (2)

I recently generated myself the following error when attempting to use the Unix mail command: The flags you gave make no sense since you're not sending mail. There is a recent thread about this issue here in unix.com (with a title very much like this thread's title), but it was closed... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Clovis_Sangrail
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

mail command in Unix

Hi All, Is it possible to email a file from another directory in Unix shell prompt? In other words, do we have to be in the directory where the file is located to mail the file? I was in the Mail directory and my file (filename) is in the Practice directory. I tried this and it didn't work:... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: onlinelearner02
7 Replies

9. What is on Your Mind?

How to switch from SVR4/BSD internals to Linux internals?

Hello, Long-time Unix hacker here - I've worked on four variants of the kernel prior to the introduction of Linux. In my spare time, I've written Linux (Ubuntu) device drivers, kernel modules, cross-compiled, and built the kernel. I'd like to do Linux internals/device drivers as a day job,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: OriginalVersion
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

UNIX mail command

I am using HP-UX server. I tried to send the email with attachment, I used the below unix command to send with attachment but it doent work. uuencode pepsitoday.csv | mailx -s "csv file" ramkumar15@pepsi.com ---------- Post updated at 02:10 AM ---------- Previous update was at... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramkumar15
2 Replies
Mail::SendEasy::SMTP(3pm)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				 Mail::SendEasy::SMTP(3pm)

NAME
Mail::SendEasy::SMTP - Handles the communication with the SMTP server without dependencies. DESCRIPTION
This module will handle the communication with the SMTP server. It hasn't dependencies and supports authentication. USAGE
use Mail::SendEasy ; $smtp = Mail::SendEasy::SMTP->new( 'domain.foo' , 25 , 120 ) ; if ( !$smtp->auth ) { warn($smtp->last_response_line) ;} if ( $smtp->MAIL("FROM:<$mail{from}>") !~ /^2/ ) { warn($smtp->last_response_line) ;} if ( $smtp->RCPT("TO:<$to>") !~ /^2/ ) { warn($smtp->last_response_line) ;} if ( $smtp->RCPT("TO:<$to>") !~ /^2/ ) { warn($smtp->last_response_line) ;} if ( $smtp->DATA =~ /^3/ ) { $smtp->print("To: foo@foo") ; $smtp->print("Subject: test") ; $smtp->print(" ") ; $smtp->print("This is a sample MSG!") ; if ( $smtp->DATAEND !~ /^2/ ) { warn($smtp->last_response_line) ;} } $smtp->close ; METHODS
new ($host , $port , $timeout , $user , $pass) Create the SMTP object and connects to the server. connect Connect to the server. auth_types The authentication types supported by the SMTP server. auth($user , $pass) Does the authentication. print (data) Send data to the socket connection. cmd (CMD , @MORE) Send a command to the server. response Returns the code response. If wantarray returns an ARRAY with the response lines. last_response Returns an ARRAY with the response lines. last_response_msg The last response text. last_response_line The last response line (code and text). close QUIT and close the connection. AUTHOR
Graciliano M. P. <gm@virtuasites.com.br> COPYRIGHT
This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.12.4 2004-04-09 Mail::SendEasy::SMTP(3pm)