Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Using shell to replace characters in a text file Post 302555455 by SomeTechGuy on Wednesday 14th of September 2011 07:10:31 PM
Old 09-14-2011
Oh okay. What other information do you need? The automator script?

The code I copied and pasted above is what I put in the "Command" line of GeekTool. There isn't a separate Shell file beyond that.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replace Special characters in a file

Hi, I have a data like this in a file, 402003279034002000100147626030003300010000000000002000029000000 ær^M^\MÍW^H I need to replace those special char to some other char like # or $ Is there any ways to do it... I tried commands tr,sed and many but it was not able to replace because... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: solai
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to replace characters 7 through 14 of every line in a file

Hi all, I have a file with multiple lines. I want to replace characters 7 through 14 of every line with 0000000 Input: 12345678901234567890 23456789012345678901 Output 12345600000004567890 23456700000005678901 Please help. JaK (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: jakSun8
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace characters in a file

Hi, I have a file in which i want to replace the charaters from position 3-5 with a particular string for the first line. For ex The file contains abcdefghij jkdsflsfkdk 908090900 i want to replace the characters 3-5 for the first line as 678 so, the file should look like ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dnat
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace characters then read the file without changing it

Hi All At the moment the following code works but ideally i do not want to have to change the original $1 tr "\r" "\n" < "$1" > "$1.fix" printf "\n" >> "$1.fix" mv "$1.fix" "$1" FILE=$1 coffee_out="splitmovie" coffee_fill="-splitAt" coffee_end="-self-contained -o output.mov $2"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: babajuma
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace 10 characters in file

Hi, I need to replace 10 characters string (21-30) in a file with another string. I tried using cut command, i am able get these 10 charaters, but do not know how to replace them inside the file. for example file content(these are alphanumeric characters):... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Johny001
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

share a shell script which can replace weird characters in directory or file name

I just finish the shell script . This shell can replace weird characters (such as #$%^@!'"...) in file or directory name by "_" I spent long time on replacing apostrophe in file/directory name added: 2012-03-14 the 124th line (/usr/bin/perl -i -e "s#\'#\\'#g" /tmp/rpdir_level$i.tmp) is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: begonia
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to replace a text in a file from second file in shell

Hi, I have file 1 say abc abcd abc abcd <some tag> xyx abcd xyz abc abcd <some tag> xyx xyz abc And i have another file say file 2 - replaced tag1 replaced tag2 Now i want to put value of file2 in file1 whereever it finds <some tag>. for e.g. first <some tag> should be replaced... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhitanshu
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace first 3 characters in a unix file in all lines

Replace first 3 characters in a unix file (say replace "A&B" with "C&D") in all lines of the file. Need a sed or awk script to do this. Kindly help! -Kumar (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vasan2815
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to replace characters in a file?

Hi Gurus, I need replace some charactors in a file. in following example. I need replace from 4th charactor to 6th charactor with x in each line. abcdefghijklmn 123456789011 excepted result: abcxxxghijklmn 123xxx789011 Thanks in advance. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ken6503
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search special characters in a file and replace with meaningful text messages like Hello

Search special characters in a file and replace with meaningful text messages like Hello (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: raka_rjit
2 Replies
CPANPLUS::Shell(3)					User Contributed Perl Documentation					CPANPLUS::Shell(3)

NAME
CPANPLUS::Shell - base class for CPANPLUS shells SYNOPSIS
use CPANPLUS::Shell; # load the shell indicated by your # config -- defaults to # CPANPLUS::Shell::Default use CPANPLUS::Shell qw[Classic] # load CPANPLUS::Shell::Classic; my $ui = CPANPLUS::Shell->new(); my $name = $ui->which; # Find out what shell you loaded $ui->shell; # run the ui shell DESCRIPTION
This module is the generic loading (and base class) for all "CPANPLUS" shells. Through this module you can load any installed "CPANPLUS" shell. Just about all the functionality is provided by the shell that you have loaded, and not by this class (which merely functions as a generic loading class), so please consult the documentation of your shell of choice. BUG REPORTS
Please report bugs or other issues to <bug-cpanplus@rt.cpan.org<gt>. AUTHOR
This module by Jos Boumans <kane@cpan.org>. COPYRIGHT
The CPAN++ interface (of which this module is a part of) is copyright (c) 2001 - 2007, Jos Boumans <kane@cpan.org>. All rights reserved. This library is free software; you may redistribute and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. SEE ALSO
CPANPLUS::Shell::Default, CPANPLUS::Shell::Classic, cpanp perl v5.16.3 2013-05-20 CPANPLUS::Shell(3)