Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help with generating a script Post 302555403 by apmcd47 on Wednesday 14th of September 2011 04:08:33 PM
Old 09-14-2011
I don't believe anyone has addressed this point:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellywilliams
I have many files that are all currently in .xslx and I'm not sure if they need to be .csv or .txt for this to work... Each of these files has ~90,000 lines.

Kelly
Kelly, to use durden_tyler's solution you do need to export the files into tab-delimited text files. I assume you mean excel spreadsheet files (xlsx). The xlsx format is a proprietry binary format (probably a zipped xml document now but still in a proprietry format).

Andrew

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk Script for generating a report

Hi all, I have a log file of the below format. 20081016:000042 asdflasjdf asljfljs asdflasjf safjl 20081016:000229 /lask/ajlsdf/askdfjsa 20081016:000229 /lashflas /askdfaslj hsfhsahf 20081016:000304 lasflasj ashfashd 20081016:000304 lajfasdf ashfashdfhs I need to generate a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.naidu
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Generating millions of record using shell script

Hi All, My requirement is like this. I want to generate records of 1 million lines. If I say lines it means one line will contain some string or numbers like AA,3,4,45,+223424234,Tets,Ghdj,+33434,345453434,........................ upto length lets say 41. ( 41 comma sepearted aplha numneric... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rahil2k9
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

A shell script or software for generating random passwords

Hi, Is there an shell script/batch file to genarate random passwords which expires after a stipulated time period? Please suggest a software which does this for AIX and windows both else. Thanks. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dwiravi
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with script generating files in directory recursively

I have a script which generates recursively some files in folders for a given root folder. I have checks for permissions and it works for all folders except one(i have 777 permission on it). When i try calling the script in problematic folder(problematic folder being root folder), script works as... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bb2
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help generating a script for next-generation sequencing data

I am not sure if this is entirely possible, but I want to compare data in a particular column in several .txt files and have a new file generated. I am a biologist with limited unix knowledge. There are currently no programs written for this type of analysis. First I would like to define the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kellywilliams
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting date/time and generating offsets in bash script

Hi all, I need a script to do some date/time conversion. It should take as an input a particular time. It should then generates a series of offsets, in both hour:minute form and number of milliseconds elapsed. For 03:00, for example, it should give back 04:02:07 (3727000ms*) 05:04:14... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: emdan
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

auto-generating assembly code by variables found by script

Hi everybody I'm working on a list of registers(flip-flops to be exact), now i need to extract some value from this list and use them as arguments to pass them to some assembly code for example i have: 118 chain79 MASTER (FF-LE) FFFF 1975829 /TCK F FD1TQHVTT1 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Behrouzx77
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with ahem Prime number Generating Script

Can anybody tell me why the second part of this script (Sieve of Eratosthenes) isn't working properly. This isnt coursework or homework just private studies ( Yes Project Euler began it ) I know there are easier ways of doing this too but I want to do it this way.:p Iam using Cygwin on Vista... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: drewann
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Random number generating script?

Having a hard time with this. Very new to scripting and linux. Spent all sunday trying to do this. Appreciate some help and maybe help breaking down what the syntax does. Create a Bash program. It should have the following properties • Creates a secret number between 1 and 100 i. The... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: LINUXnoob15
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is there a way to handle commas inside the data when generating a csv file from shell script?

I am extracting data via sql query and some of the data has commas. Output File must be csv and I cannot update the data in the db (as it is used by other application). Example table FavoriteThings Person VARCHAR2(25), Favorite VARCHAR2(100) Sample Data Greta rain drop on... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: patk625
12 Replies
PYP(1)							      General Commands Manual							    PYP(1)

NAME
pyp - The Pyed Piper: A Modern Python Alternative to awk, sed and Other Unix Text Manipulation Utilities SYNOPSIS
pyp [options] files ... DESCRIPTION
pyp, the Pyed Piper, is a command line tool for text manipulation. It is similar to awk and sed in functionality, but its subcommands are Python based, and thus more familiar to many programmers. It can operate both on a per-line base and on the complete input stream. Different features can be pipelined in a single command by using the pipe character familiar from shell commands. pyp backs up its input for reruns with modified commands, and can save commands as macros. On the downside, the rerun feature makes it unsuitable for continuous pipe operation. OPTIONS
These programs follow the usual GNU command line syntax, with long options starting with two dashes (`-'). A summary of options is included below. For a complete description, use --manual. -h, --help Show this help message and exit. -m, --manual Prints out extended help. -l, --macro_list Lists all available macros. -s MACRO_SAVE_NAME, --macro_save=MACRO_SAVE_NAME Saves current command as macro. use "#" for adding comments EXAMPLE: pyp -s "great_macro # prints first letter" "p[1]". -f MACRO_FIND_NAME, --macro_find=MACRO_FIND_NAME Searches for macros with keyword or user name. -d MACRO_DELETE_NAME, --macro_delete=MACRO_DELETE_NAME Deletes specified public macro. -g, --macro_group Specify group macros for save and delete; default is user. -t TEXT_FILE, --text_file=TEXT_FILE Specify text file to load. For advanced users, you should typically cat a file into pyp. -x, --execute Execute all commands. -c, --turn_off_color Prints raw, uncolored output. -u, --unmodified_config Prints out generic PypCustom.py config file. -b BLANK_INPUTS, --blank_inputs=BLANK_INPUTS Generate this number of blank input lines; useful for generating numbered lists with variable 'n'. -n, --no_input Use with command that generates output with no input; same as --dummy_input 1. -k, --keep_false Print blank lines for lines that test as False. default is to filter out False lines from the output. -r, --rerun Rerun based on automatically cached data from the last run. Use this after executing "pyp", pasting input into the shell, and hitting CTRL-D. SEE ALSO
awk(1), grep(1), sed(1). AUTHOR
pyp was written by Toby Rosen <tobyrosen@gmail.com>. This manual page was written by Khalid El Fathi <khalid@elfathi.fr>, for the Debian project (and may be used by others). March 19, 2012 PYP(1)