Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: $dirname ??????
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers $dirname ?????? Post 302555284 by pludi on Wednesday 14th of September 2011 10:18:26 AM
Old 09-14-2011
$0 is the path and name of the current running script. So if you called it as /full/path/to/app it's that, and if you called it as ./app, it's only that.
Now the first (inner) dirname removes the name of the application, so it's only /full/path/to or . anymore.
With the second dirname, you're shortening it even more, becoming /full/path and . respectively.

What you probably need is a simple MYAPPDIR=$( pwd )

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Setting basename and dirname variable to simply script.

Hello all, Can somebody explain to me how set up a basename and dirname variable to simplify this script. I currently have a 'infile' with the contents of FTTPDataPVC_ & BaaisDSLFeed. I need to add a basename and or dirname variable so that any additions can be made through the infile and not... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: liketheshell
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

strip hostname from dirname?

I need to get the full path of a file minus the hostname... anyone have an easy way to do this? What I have is: //ourhostname/ourfullpath/filename What I need is: /ourfullpath/filename hostname evaluates to 'ourhostname' dirname evaluates to '//ourhostname/ourfullpath' basename... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tink
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

dirname, save cut portion to variable, clean up

Hi guys, last cry for help for today. I appreciate the help so far. ok so I have a program that dumps a path into my script as a variable ($1) This path is an example /home/xbmc/sab_downloads/video/tv/grey's anatomy/season 3 So in order to search thetvdb.com for a show, I need to extract... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: tret
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

find & dirname:problems with white spaces in Directories

Hi all, my problem: (little extract from my bash-script) I want to move each file (.mov) from one directory (and many Subdirectories) to another directory (only one); after moving i want to create hardlinks to the old directories. Thatīs no problem, but now: source-directories... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tubian
4 Replies

5. Programming

basename and dirname changes the value of argument???

Hi I faced with some interesting behavior of basename and dirname functions from libgen.h: they changes the value of argument! Here is the declaration: char *basename(char *); char *dirname(char *);It makes some tiresome to use them... I am new to C and maybe I do something wrong, but to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sapfeer
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

help with dirname

We are using #!/bin/sh From a command line this command returns the correct list of files (without going into any subdirectories) find /vol.prod/saptrans/common/test/pa/* -prune -type f -print We have a script which takes the same path as $1 (without the * ) ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: 15a0
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using dirname on a file before uniq

Hello, I have a list of files generated like this: find dir -type f > file_list I want to get a list of just the unique directories. I can't create a temporary file. So the idea is to do a working equivalent to this: cat file_list | dirname | uniq But of course that doesn't... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: brsett
4 Replies
DIRNAME(3)						   BSD Library Functions Manual 						DIRNAME(3)

NAME
dirname -- report the parent directory name of a file pathname LIBRARY
Standard C Library (libc, -lc) SYNOPSIS
#include <libgen.h> char * dirname(char *path); DESCRIPTION
The dirname() function takes a pointer to a character string that contains a pathname, path, and returns a pointer to a string that is a pathname of the parent directory of path. Trailing '/' characters in path are not counted as part of the path. If path does not contain a '/', then dirname() returns a pointer to the string ``.''. If path is a null pointer or points to an empty string, dirname() returns a pointer to the string ``.''. RETURN VALUES
The dirname() function returns a pointer to a string that is the parent directory of path. SEE ALSO
dirname(1), basename(3) STANDARDS
o X/Open Portability Guide Issue 4, Version 2 (``XPG4.2'') o IEEE Std 1003.1-2001 (``POSIX.1'') BUGS
If the length of the result is longer than PATH_MAX bytes (including the terminating nul), the result will be truncated. The dirname() function returns a pointer to static storage that may be overwritten by subsequent calls to dirname(). This is not strictly a bug; it is explicitly allowed by IEEE Std 1003.1-2001 (``POSIX.1''). BSD
May 10, 2008 BSD