Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help with generating a script Post 302555217 by kellywilliams on Wednesday 14th of September 2011 07:22:42 AM
Old 09-14-2011
To Chubler_XL

Thank you so so much Chubler_XL, this is what happened when I ran your script:
Code:
Please input gene name you wish to look for
SOD1
awk: invalid -v option

Any clue why?

Something I forgot to mention, I would like the output file to be $GeneName_date.txt please

Thank you so much again for your help,

Kelly

---------- Post updated at 09:22 PM ---------- Previous update was at 09:16 PM ----------

Dear Mayur,

Thank you so much for providing me with this script, but I am having the same problem as I have had before

When I ran your script
Code:
echo "Please input gene name you wish to look for"
         read GeneName
         grep -H $GeneName *.txt > $GeneName.txt

All it did was concatenate the 6 .txt files I have in that directory? I just want single lines from these files that contain $GeneName.

Thank you again for your help.

Kelly

P.S. Maybe I can email two of my data files?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk Script for generating a report

Hi all, I have a log file of the below format. 20081016:000042 asdflasjdf asljfljs asdflasjf safjl 20081016:000229 /lask/ajlsdf/askdfjsa 20081016:000229 /lashflas /askdfaslj hsfhsahf 20081016:000304 lasflasj ashfashd 20081016:000304 lajfasdf ashfashdfhs I need to generate a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.naidu
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Generating millions of record using shell script

Hi All, My requirement is like this. I want to generate records of 1 million lines. If I say lines it means one line will contain some string or numbers like AA,3,4,45,+223424234,Tets,Ghdj,+33434,345453434,........................ upto length lets say 41. ( 41 comma sepearted aplha numneric... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rahil2k9
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

A shell script or software for generating random passwords

Hi, Is there an shell script/batch file to genarate random passwords which expires after a stipulated time period? Please suggest a software which does this for AIX and windows both else. Thanks. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dwiravi
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with script generating files in directory recursively

I have a script which generates recursively some files in folders for a given root folder. I have checks for permissions and it works for all folders except one(i have 777 permission on it). When i try calling the script in problematic folder(problematic folder being root folder), script works as... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bb2
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help generating a script for next-generation sequencing data

I am not sure if this is entirely possible, but I want to compare data in a particular column in several .txt files and have a new file generated. I am a biologist with limited unix knowledge. There are currently no programs written for this type of analysis. First I would like to define the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kellywilliams
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting date/time and generating offsets in bash script

Hi all, I need a script to do some date/time conversion. It should take as an input a particular time. It should then generates a series of offsets, in both hour:minute form and number of milliseconds elapsed. For 03:00, for example, it should give back 04:02:07 (3727000ms*) 05:04:14... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: emdan
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

auto-generating assembly code by variables found by script

Hi everybody I'm working on a list of registers(flip-flops to be exact), now i need to extract some value from this list and use them as arguments to pass them to some assembly code for example i have: 118 chain79 MASTER (FF-LE) FFFF 1975829 /TCK F FD1TQHVTT1 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Behrouzx77
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with ahem Prime number Generating Script

Can anybody tell me why the second part of this script (Sieve of Eratosthenes) isn't working properly. This isnt coursework or homework just private studies ( Yes Project Euler began it ) I know there are easier ways of doing this too but I want to do it this way.:p Iam using Cygwin on Vista... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: drewann
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Random number generating script?

Having a hard time with this. Very new to scripting and linux. Spent all sunday trying to do this. Appreciate some help and maybe help breaking down what the syntax does. Create a Bash program. It should have the following properties • Creates a secret number between 1 and 100 i. The... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: LINUXnoob15
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is there a way to handle commas inside the data when generating a csv file from shell script?

I am extracting data via sql query and some of the data has commas. Output File must be csv and I cannot update the data in the db (as it is used by other application). Example table FavoriteThings Person VARCHAR2(25), Favorite VARCHAR2(100) Sample Data Greta rain drop on... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: patk625
12 Replies